The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester : Uni halls or Private accomodation

Hey people,

I have accepted my place in Uni of Manch , bt now very confused bout the accomodation. can any one help me out wid it.?

What would be better (in terms of rent, facilities, distance from the uni, etc): private accomodation or university halls?

Reply 1
Halls. They have some literally over the road from the uni. Plus, easier to make friends ect.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Shelly_x Re: University of Manchester : Uni halls or Private accomodation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Halls. They have some literally over the road from the uni. Plus, easier to make friends ect.

Thanku so much..:smile:
Well I'd personally say private because you can choose your exact flat and the type of people you live with but it can be more expensive. It's all down to preference, I'm going in private because I want to live with my bf
Original post by puneetdhils
Hey people,

I have accepted my place in Uni of Manch , bt now very confused bout the accomodation. can any one help me out wid it.?

What would be better (in terms of rent, facilities, distance from the uni, etc): private accomodation or university halls?

DEFINITELY go into halls.
Private is one of the worst decisions you can make if you're new to the city & university.
Everyone who goes into private accommodation does it because they either want to be left alone or are going in with close friends, which means you will absolutely struggle to make friends,
where as in halls, noone knows each other, everyone makes friends with everyone and it's infinitely more enjoyable.
Go with halls.

Original post by blondeprincess
Well I'd personally say private because you can choose your exact flat and the type of people you live with but it can be more expensive. It's all down to preference, I'm going in private because I want to live with my bf

my point exactly
Reply 5

Thanks for the input..since i am gonna be new to the city i think i'll stick to halls.:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lyndon1504
Private is one of the worst decisions you can make if you're new to the city & university.
Everyone who goes into private accommodation does it because they either want to be left alone or are going in with close friends, which means you will absolutely struggle to make friends,
where as in halls, noone knows each other, everyone makes friends with everyone and it's infinitely more enjoyable.
Go with halls.

Thanks ..that cleared some remaining doubts..:smile:
Original post by Lyndon1504
Go with halls.

Not always true... I know a LOT of people who are in private by choice and have made some amazing friends who they shall either continue to live with in a house or shall stay friends with and they never knew each other before... It is just as easy to make friends in private as in uni halls... you speak to the people in your flat or go knocking... And private halls is enjoyable...

And just because I want to live with my bf doesn't mean we both don't want other friends, it's just easier financially for us to live together.

On the other hand yeah, uni halls can have its advantages like the price and sometimes being near others on your course but overall there isn't that much difference, not as much as it's being made out to be anyway and like I said before it's personal preference. For example I like the idea I know exactly where I will be living as I don't want to live in Fallowfield and there was always a chance of that with the uni...
Reply 8
Not always true... I know a LOT of people who are in private by choice and have made some amazing friends who they shall either continue to live with in a house or shall stay friends with and they never knew each other before... It is just as easy to make friends in private as in uni halls... you speak to the people in your flat or go knocking... And private halls is enjoyable...

And just because I want to live with my bf doesn't mean we both don't want other friends, it's just easier financially for us to live together.

On the other hand yeah, uni halls can have its advantages like the price and sometimes being near others on your course but overall there isn't that much difference, not as much as it's being made out to be anyway and like I said before it's personal preference. For example I like the idea I know exactly where I will be living as I don't want to live in Fallowfield and there was always a chance of that with the uni...

Hey thanks for the reply..hmm some more points to ponder over....now m gettin confused..:rolleyes:
Reply 9
im not sure wether to go private or go into halls, im a mature student and worried about the age difference, i have applied for city centre accommodation however living with younger people worries me that there will be late night parties and fire alarms going off at all hours, vomit in the bathroom etc! i used to work as a club rep so understand the joys of it however i am looking at getting my head down and studying! the decison is incredibly hard!!
Original post by amylynne
im not sure wether to go private or go into halls, im a mature student and worried about the age difference, i have applied for city centre accommodation however living with younger people worries me that there will be late night parties and fire alarms going off at all hours, vomit in the bathroom etc! i used to work as a club rep so understand the joys of it however i am looking at getting my head down and studying! the decison is incredibly hard!!

Well I'm a bit older too, and yet I've opted for Fallowfield halls, as I want to make sure I get the full student experience. However, that doesn't mean I plan to spend most of my days hovering over the toilet basin! Far from it, I need to focus on studying too, so at least you know there will definitely be one other student in the same position as you, and probably loads more:wink:
Reply 11
Original post by TheOFactor
Well I'm a bit older too, and yet I've opted for Fallowfield halls, as I want to make sure I get the full student experience. However, that doesn't mean I plan to spend most of my days hovering over the toilet basin! Far from it, I need to focus on studying too, so at least you know there will definitely be one other student in the same position as you, and probably loads more:wink:

From the fallowfield stories and having worked with a friend who lives in fallowfields i certainly opted out of that lol i do want the full student experience too im just so confused as to what to do! and not long left to decide!!

what are you studying at Manchester?
Reply 12
From what I've read, uni halls nearer to the city campus can be for the more studious types, whether that's true or not I'm not too sure.
Original post by amylynne
From the fallowfield stories and having worked with a friend who lives in fallowfields i certainly opted out of that lol i do want the full student experience too im just so confused as to what to do! and not long left to decide!!

what are you studying at Manchester?

Fair enough, but there's still Victoria Park and the City campus, which as mentioned above, don't have the reputation of being all party, party, party (I reckon that rep's really exaggerated for Fallowfield anyway), and will provide the environment you need. The thing with private is that I do not know anyone who has enjoyed it (and I know quite a few people who have stayed in private). You don't get as many first years, and so not everyone is sociable or motivated to mingle with anyone else in the hall, as they already have friendship groups formed, and there aren't as many hall-based events/activiites (if any) to give you the chance to meet people.

I'm doing Spanish & Chinese, and I'll need to be working hard as I'm learning Mandarin from scratch! :eek:
Original post by puneetdhils
Hey people,

I'm a 22 year old guy heading to Manchester in September to start my Masters in Architecture. I'm looking to form a flat share if either of you two (or both) are interested? I'm definitely NOT gonna be sat on my own all the time and am looking to meet a bunch of different people and pick up on the student lifestyle from where I left off from my undergraduate. Basically I want a pretty good mix of student life and study.

My reason for going into private instead of halls is that its usually a bit cheaper and better quality. Halls bedrooms are always tiny. For around the same price based on 3 people sharing you can find a flat near the city centre with a balcony, double bedrooms and a decent kitchen/living/dining room. You know where you're going to be living and with who. I had a pretty rubbish experience with halls in my first year because it's just the luck of the draw and I got put in with some really boring people and so halls wasn't that great. One of my friends has just gone back to halls as a post grad and has been in a similar situation and neither of us are shy or loners! I met more people from my course and the sports I did than from halls.

If either of you two are interested then drop me a message. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending