The Student Room Group

what does the health test entail?

Hey, I went to the LJMU nursing talk today and they said that I would have to pass a health test once I had accepted LJMU as my firm offer.

Does anyone who has gone through this already know what kind of things you have to do - just out of interest !!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just had to do one for a course also. Here's a typical example...

You'll need to fill out a questionnaire about your medical history. Any treatment you have recieved, injuries etc.. You'll probably also need to have your GP fill out a form detailing your medical history, suitability and immunisation records.

After all that is done you'll probably have a brief physical and Q&A session with the nurse at the university.

Perhaps some blood tests if you haven't had any recently and additional vaccines if you are missing any.

It's all fairly straight forward. don't panic about it :biggrin:

edit: Oh and take glasses if you wear them, you may have to do a vision test too. If you have any queries as to exactly what you need, I'm sure the university will be able to help.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by alcazaba
I've just had to do one for a course also. Here's a typical example...

You'll need to fill out a questionnaire about your medical history. Any treatment you have recieved, injuries etc.. You'll probably also need to have your GP fill out a form detailing your medical history, suitability and immunisation records.

After all that is done you'll probably have a brief physical and Q&A session with the nurse at the university.

Perhaps some blood tests if you haven't had any recently and additional vaccines if you are missing any.

It's all fairly straight forward. don't panic about it :biggrin:

edit: Oh and take glasses if you wear them, you may have to do a vision test too. If you have any queries as to exactly what you need, I'm sure the university will be able to help.

This.

If you don't have all the necessary vaccinations, Hep B is a common one not to have had, then they will sort this out so you can get it during the first year, as Hep B is a course that takes 6 months.
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
This.

If you don't have all the necessary vaccinations, Hep B is a common one not to have had, then they will sort this out so you can get it during the first year, as Hep B is a course that takes 6 months.

actually I think I might have that .... I have one of the hepatitis's from when I went to africa a couple of years ago.

My mum told me that they make you run on a treadmill to make sure you can cope with the long hours ..... I think she was just trying to worry me!
Original post by lacelicker
actually I think I might have that .... I have one of the hepatitis's from when I went to africa a couple of years ago.

My mum told me that they make you run on a treadmill to make sure you can cope with the long hours ..... I think she was just trying to worry me!

I don't know about the requirements for nursing, but that does sound a bit extreme! We only had a hearing test in addition to our vaccinations, but a few people did fail it.
Reply 5
I don't know about the requirements for nursing, but that does sound a bit extreme! We only had a hearing test in addition to our vaccinations, but a few people did fail it.

Failed the hearing test? Well that's alright, my hearing's fine - I'm not morbidly obese, lobotomised, or generally sickly so I think I'll be OK ! :P
Hey, I went to the LJMU nursing talk today and they said that I would have to pass a health test once I had accepted LJMU as my firm offer.

Does anyone who has gone through this already know what kind of things you have to do - just out of interest !!

Sorry I don't - just wanted to ask you doing adult/child/MH nursing??
Ive not heard back about child and am getting verrryyy anxious as im sure that means its bad news!!
Failed the hearing test? Well that's alright, my hearing's fine - I'm not morbidly obese, lobotomised, or generally sickly so I think I'll be OK ! :P

I suppose it might have been because most of my class are over 30, and loads of the younger students had damage because they listen to their earphones/music too loudly. Most of them didn't even realise there was a problem before the test!
Reply 8
Original post by fairycake123
Sorry I don't - just wanted to ask you doing adult/child/MH nursing??
Ive not heard back about child and am getting verrryyy anxious as im sure that means its bad news!!

I'm going to be doing adult - but I'm applying in september - for 2012 entry. So I know nothing sorry!
Reply 9
I suppose it might have been because most of my class are over 30, and loads of the younger students had damage because they listen to their earphones/music too loudly. Most of them didn't even realise there was a problem before the test!

That would make sense! I don't think I've ever had a hearing test, what do they do? I get lots of eye tests, because I wear quite strong glasses - but I've never had a hearing test.
That would make sense! I don't think I've ever had a hearing test, what do they do? I get lots of eye tests, because I wear quite strong glasses - but I've never had a hearing test.

They put you in a sound-proof booth (could be a problem if you're claustrophobic!) and you put on headphones and press the button they give you whenever you hear a sound. They get progressively quieter/high-pitched as you go on. It's a bit like the visual field test at the opticians. :tongue:
Reply 11
They put you in a sound-proof booth (could be a problem if you're claustrophobic!) and you put on headphones and press the button they give you whenever you hear a sound. They get progressively quieter/high-pitched as you go on. It's a bit like the visual field test at the opticians. :tongue:

Oooh it sounds quite fun!! aculally I am a bit claustrophic but as long as it doesn't get too warm in there then I should be fine - it's mostly hot lifts and hot basement shops that make me nervy! How good or bad does your hearing have to be to pass/fail? I mean do you have to be properly bad do fail or just a little bit substandard?
Oooh it sounds quite fun!! aculally I am a bit claustrophic but as long as it doesn't get too warm in there then I should be fine - it's mostly hot lifts and hot basement shops that make me nervy! How good or bad does your hearing have to be to pass/fail? I mean do you have to be properly bad do fail or just a little bit substandard?

To fail, you would be so bad that you need a hearing aid (and haven't yet been told you need one). Of course, the better you complete it, the better it is for your record.
Reply 13
To fail, you would be so bad that you need a hearing aid (and haven't yet been told you need one). Of course, the better you complete it, the better it is for your record.

Oh well that's alright - my ears are hardly bat like- but I certainly don't need a hearing aid! :P - thanks for all your help, I noticed your a PS helper - I'm sure I'll be calling on your help come September to help with mine!!
Oh well that's alright - my ears are hardly bat like- but I certainly don't need a hearing aid! :P - thanks for all your help, I noticed your a PS helper - I'm sure I'll be calling on your help come September to help with mine!!

Probably! Though I'm sure it'll be pretty good anyway!
Reply 15
Hi, does anyone know if they weigh you?
Reply 16
Probably! Though I'm sure it'll be pretty good anyway!

flattery will get you everywhere!! ;D

Original post by xlizx
Hi, does anyone know if they weigh you?

I would imagine so yeah - Physicals usually do if memory serves, I had one years and years and YEARS ago. I'm a bit nervous about that too - but I weigh myself occasionally and it's never too bad - 4-6lb over is the general kettle of fish!

From what I remember I thinks it's hight, weight, BP, they have a listen to your breathing - maybe a urine sugar test to see if you might be diabetic ect. Nothing too scary and then if the first poster (fp?) is right then a few injections :biggrin:

Are you starting in 2011 - or 2012 like me?
Reply 17

I would imagine so yeah - Physicals usually do if memory serves, I had one years and years and YEARS ago. I'm a bit nervous about that too - but I weigh myself occasionally and it's never too bad - 4-6lb over is the general kettle of fish!

From what I remember I thinks it's hight, weight, BP, they have a listen to your breathing - maybe a urine sugar test to see if you might be diabetic ect. Nothing too scary and then if the first poster (fp?) is right then a few injections :biggrin:

Are you starting in 2011 - or 2012 like me?

I hope it doesn't matter to much as I probably need to lose about three stone. I start in 2011
Reply 18
Original post by xlizx
I hope it doesn't matter to much as I probably need to lose about three stone. I start in 2011

I doubt it would matter, although they might tell you to lose weight, but I doubt you'd be refused a place unless you we're so big it was debilitating! And you could be quite big but also quite fit, and so your BP ect would be fine, and I suppose that the point is that you're fit and heathy!

where are you studying?? - sorry for the 20 questions - my brain is filled with nursing courses at the moment :P
Reply 19

where are you studying?? - sorry for the 20 questions - my brain is filled with nursing courses at the moment :P

Dont worry my brain is filled with nursing too.
Im studing adult nursing and have a conditonal place at hertfordshire and cant wait, have you chosen a uni yet?

Quick Reply

Latest