The Student Room Group

GPA of 3.1: Could I get into SDSU or others like the CSUs?

Hi :smile:
I am looking into Universities in California, based on my GCSES I would have a gpa of 3.1, I have done volunteer work, I play 2 musical instruments and am also planning a volunteer job for the summer. I am a very active and well rounded student. I Haven't done the SAT's yet but i will do them this summer also and next year if I have to.
I am looking to study Engineering and I am currently looking into California State Universities and others like SDSU etc.
With a GPA of 3.1, do I stand at all a chance?
I am a well rounded student, I take part in school activites and clubs, I take part in sport and have taken part in charitable events, do I stand a chance for even California State University? If so which campuses because I really wanna go to a College that has a good Social life within the College because I'v heard that CSULB has no social life because everyone still lives at home? I have U.S Citizenship so I am not International, I plan to either move in with my dad in LA for a year before to count as a resident. Please if you have any good ideas for which College you think I have a chance to get into and would see a good social life and a fairly decent academic background on Engineering please reply! :smile: Please excuse the grammatical errors because last time I did a post nearly every reply was just making fun of my thread. I'm just a bit dyslexic and I don't wanna spend days on touching it up, and don't give that as evidence to the notion that I'm a bad student. lol PLEASE HELP :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by joey168
Hi :smile:
I am looking into Universities in California, based on my GCSES I would have a gpa of 3.1, I have done volunteer work, I play 2 musical instruments and am also planning a volunteer job for the summer. I am a very active and well rounded student. I Haven't done the SAT's yet but i will do them this summer also and next year if I have to.
I am looking to study Engineering and I am currently looking into California State Universities and others like SDSU etc.
With a GPA of 3.1, do I stand at all a chance?
I am a well rounded student, I take part in school activites and clubs, I take part in sport and have taken part in charitable events, do I stand a chance for even California State University? If so which campuses because I really wanna go to a College that has a good Social life within the College because I'v heard that CSULB has no social life because everyone still lives at home? I have U.S Citizenship so I am not International, I plan to either move in with my dad in LA for a year before to count as a resident. Please if you have any good ideas for which College you think I have a chance to get into and would see a good social life and a fairly decent academic background on Engineering please reply! :smile: Please excuse the grammatical errors because last time I did a post nearly every reply was just making fun of my thread. I'm just a bit dyslexic and I don't wanna spend days on touching it up, and don't give that as evidence to the notion that I'm a bad student. lol PLEASE HELP :smile:

Hey, you should be fine : ) SDSU is a good school (the paaartay school), a lot of my friends go there, but it wasn't really in par with my expectations. CSU's in general are great universities, but UC's are better ; ). Your tuition will be a little higher the first year, because you are not yet a resident, but you can apply for scholarships, financial aid, etc.

In the past, SDSU even accepted people with 2.5 GPA, but keep in mind, students had to compensate a poor GPA by extracurricular activities. But now they have a stricter academic policy, so you should think about how you can accommodate with your dyslexia. I'm not sure about their engineering program though...

SDSU is right-smack in San Diego, so you'll definitely have a social life. Great, beautiful weather is definitely a plus, the beach is 10-15 minutes away.
Reply 2
Hi! I'm graduating from a CSU this semester, and I just want to echo what the above poster said. You'll be fine for pretty much any CSU as long as you get your materials in on time. CSU San Diego has a reputation as being a party school, but it's still one of the better CSUs and the beach is fantastic :smile:

CSU San Francisco is also quite good, and the city can't be beat. I wouldn't recommend Long Beach unless there's a particular course you're interested in just because the city itself is pretty ugly and public transport in southern California isn't great, so it would be sort of hard to get around without a car.

If you want to aim for a UC, they're generally considered better schools but they are also more expensive and more competitive.

Anyway, good luck!
Reply 3
Thanks for all the advice, nice to get a response for once in a while :smile:
Reply 4
CSU Northridge or CSU Fullerton are also great schools academically.

Fullerton is inland but gives you the Orange County party scene including Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, etc. Orange County's public transportation is a bit better than Long Beach/LA. And its clean.

Northridge (also inland) gives you the LA party scene (fun, but be careful dude). Public transportation is crap. In general, you should have a car in Southern California, there are alot of things to do and see all over the state and the freeway system makes it easy to get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending