The Student Room Group

AS Biology f212 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Yeah, I put Time as well, as that measures rate.

For the question after, about using liquified Celery, I put that they wouldn't know the concentration of the enzyme in the celery, so it could differ for each experiment, affecting the results.
For the improvement I said make sure the Celery is massively in excess so the enzyme concentration is no longer a limiting factor, so it doesn't matter if the concentrations differ slightly.

Would that be right? I couldn't think of any other reason.
Reply 1401
Original post by broken_glass_heart
for the celery question, for the which other variable should be controlled, i wrote the concentration of catalase enzyme. does any1 think that will get me a mark?

I wrote down the PH.
literally just PH... forgot to write "of the solution" facepalm moment :colondollar:
I think you will get a mark for that though, as it is still a variable that needs to be controlled.
Reply 1402
for the smoking question, i explained how lung caner was formed, i then explained some experimental evidence as the question said; describe formation of lung caner, include LINKS between smoking and lung cancer

don't know though??
how daft am i dat for the what is a biological catalyst? question, i got it mixed up with chemistry and i wrote.. a substance/chemical that lowers the activation energy of a reaction... am so daft for writing that coz a biological catalyst is a PROTEIN ENZYME, not a substance/chemical! such an easy question and i lost the mark! or was it work 2 marks? i cant remembr hw many marks it was
Original post by broken_glass_heart
how daft am i dat for the what is a biological catalyst? question, i got it mixed up with chemistry and i wrote.. a substance/chemical that lowers the activation energy of a reaction... am so daft for writing that coz a biological catalyst is a PROTEIN ENZYME, not a substance/chemical! such an easy question and i lost the mark! or was it work 2 marks? i cant remembr hw many marks it was

I put "Organic substance, e.g. an enzyme" XD
I put it speeds up the rate of reaction and has a specific active site and tertiary structure :s and it was 2 marks!
for the name the dna one i put phosphate, 5 carbon sugar, and thymine

will i get the marks for this?
Original post by arcticwombats
for the name the dna one i put phosphate, 5 carbon sugar, and thymine

will i get the marks for this?

you'll probably get two marks. 5 carbon sugar isn't a mark, they wanted deoxyribose.

For the Lung Cancer question. They asked about the link between smoking and the development of lung cancer. Surely this means more than just explaining the tumour part. you would also need to mention the carcinogens which everyone has ofc but also stuff about smokers are more likely to get lung cancer etc smoking over 25 cigarettes a day increases your chance, a non smoker has lower chances, carcinogens other than from smoking are rare to find in a normal situation. etc etc.
did anyone say peak when we had to change that students evaluation?

or was it supposed to be optimum :/
Original post by arcticwombats
did anyone say peak when we had to change that students evaluation?

or was it supposed to be optimum :/

Well my teacher said it was optimum. But she also said that if everyone did bad then they may accept peak, but if everyone did good then they are likely to be strict and just accept optimum. So we don't really know.
Reply 1410
i wrote about carbon monoxide and nicotine for the cigarette one! RAHH completely forgot about bloody carcinogens! :/ :'( :angry:
after reading all of these answers, i'm less confident about results day...
Original post by dips94
i wrote about carbon monoxide and nicotine for the cigarette one! RAHH completely forgot about bloody carcinogens! :/ :'( :angry:
after reading all of these answers, i'm less confident about results day...

Don't worry. Threads post-exam are like that on TSR, but a lot of the people on here are aiming for 100% etc., so if you look at the few marks you missed, they may have missed other marks that you gained - and question of grade boundaries means it's still all to play for! :smile:

At least you didn't accidentally draw the spirometer trace as a straight line, or completely miss a question about cells that use active transport in F211:rolleyes:
Original post by Niki_girl
Don't worry. Threads post-exam are like that on TSR, but a lot of the people on here are aiming for 100% etc., so if you look at the few marks you missed, they may have missed other marks that you gained - and question of grade boundaries means it's still all to play for! :smile:

At least you didn't accidentally draw the spirometer trace as a straight line, or completely miss a question about cells that use active transport in F211:rolleyes:

I went on about food blenders in the catalase question :cool:! So it could be worse ;D
Reply 1413
In the lung cancer question I put:
Cigarette smoke contains carcinogens which are chemicals which cause cells to become cancerous. These cause DNA in the lung cells to mutate. The cells the begin to grow and replicate uncontrollably and cause a malignant tumor to grow.

How many marks do you think?
Original post by kazx
In the lung cancer question I put:
Cigarette smoke contains carcinogens which are chemicals which cause cells to become cancerous. These cause DNA in the lung cells to mutate. The cells the begin to grow and replicate uncontrollably and cause a malignant tumor to grow.

How many marks do you think?

I think you had to mention that there are carcinogens in tar which builds up in the bronchi and seeps into cells where they affect the genetic material directly.

It was 5 marks + 1 QWC.

"Cigarette smoke contains carcinogens" - Should get 1 mark

"These cause DNA in the lung cells to mutate." - Another mark?

"replicate uncontrollably and cause a malignant tumor to grow" - And another?

I can't remember what they specified for the QWC one though >_<

:biggrin: You won't have done that badly on it :biggrin:
everyone's getting 2 as the answer for the Q10 question, but wasn't the formula like 'rate of t+10'? So I divided each value by 1 to work out rate of reaction then subtract those from each other...does this make sense or did I think too much about it aha?
Original post by katie.lou
everyone's getting 2 as the answer for the Q10 question, but wasn't the formula like 'rate of t+10'? So I divided each value by 1 to work out rate of reaction then subtract those from each other...does this make sense or did I think too much about it aha?

I don't remember what I got for that... but I don't think it was 2! :colondollar:
Original post by Joseppea
I don't remember what I got for that... but I don't think it was 2! :colondollar:

I got 0.495 I think! Found the entire paper quite strange though, haven't got a clue how ive done :frown:
Reply 1418
What did you guys get for the last question and the second last question for the second last question for 2 precautions of Mcaws I put down that ensure that Mcaws are from same species to produce fertile offspring and also ensure that Mcaws are from different areas rather than one specific area to maintain genetic diversity and increase gene pool......and for the last question I put down that use captive feeding sites and more breeding sites and also monitor species with tags....oh and also harsher legislations for people hunting/poaching the Mcaws......ANYONE GOT ANYTHING SIMILIAR TO THIS? ....PLEASE?!?
Reply 1419
Original post by ibysaiyan
For lung cancer I something like this:

Smoking contains the following hazardous substances: tar,carcinogens,carbon monoxide.Tar embeds to the airway lining and increases diffusion distance.This way carcinogens get into the lung cells,pass through the nuclear membrane where they cause mutation of the genes responsible for cell division i.e they are activated.Over a long period lung cancer develops,chest pain and blood coughing are few of the symptoms...

marks ? :s

2 at Max ....Went off point...not enough content and you gave symptoms...soz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending