The Student Room Group

AS Biology f212 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Grade boundaries before the exam.. No one can guess, not even the examiners. It depends on how well the exam goes with the candidates and they then make the boundaries but in the past an E was roughly 45 and an A was 65-69.
I think we all should 'guess' what is going to come up?
Have any of your teachers made any predictions..
Reply 142
Original post by Bi0logical

Give is your thoughts. What do you think is coming up? Any feeling for any topics in particular?
Original post by ManPowa
Give is your thoughts. What do you think is coming up? Any feeling for any topics in particular?

Yea do tell us,:P I am sitting this as a private candidate devoid of any predictions . :colondollar:
Original post by ManPowa

Original post by ibysaiyan
Yea do tell us,:P I am sitting this as a private candidate devoid of any predictions . :colondollar:

Well, from looking at the most recent paper. I think there will be a lot more on the Biological molecules.
- Starch/Cellulose/Amylose/Amylopectin, etc
- Enzymes (conditions effecting, denaturing, enzyme test!)
- Classification/Evolution
- Malaria? (Don't think it showed up anywhere in the recent papers)

What do you guys think...
Well, from looking at the most recent paper. I think there will be a lot more on the Biological molecules.
- Starch/Cellulose/Amylose/Amylopectin, etc
- Enzymes (conditions effecting, denaturing, enzyme test!)
- Classification/Evolution
- Malaria? (Don't think it showed up anywhere in the recent papers)

What do you guys think...

Enzymes and metabolism/ metabolic pathways? I can't rememeber ever seeing a question on it, but it's definitely in the textbook!

I think perhaps transmission of malaria, DNA synthesis and the specific immune response, perhaps a question on the structure of antibodies :cool: just guessing though, oh and somehow they'll list a property of water and ask about it's role in living organisms...oh and the examiner's report said the question on antibiotic resistance was answered poorly in january, which makes me think they might put in in again :colone:

Really want a long, 6-8 mark question in the fill-in-the-gaps style :rolleyes: I found F211 hard so this paper is my only hope of getting an A/B :frown:
Original post by Niki_girl
Enzymes and metabolism/ metabolic pathways? I can't rememeber ever seeing a question on it, but it's definitely in the textbook!

I think perhaps transmission of malaria, DNA synthesis and the specific immune response, perhaps a question on the structure of antibodies :cool: just guessing though, oh and somehow they'll list a property of water and ask about it's role in living organisms...oh and the examiner's report said the question on antibiotic resistance was answered poorly in january, which makes me think they might put in in again :colone:

Really want a long, 6-8 mark question in the fill-in-the-gaps style :rolleyes: I found F211 hard so this paper is my only hope of getting an A/B :frown:

Back in summer 09 they had long essay question for water molecule then in jan. 10 a four mark question on the structure of anti bodies...
Oh god you lot make me more nervous. So does the constant region allow binding to receptors on phagocytes to aid in phagocytosis and is the same in all antibodies? I don't understand the constant region!
Original post by slacker07906
Oh god you lot make me more nervous. So does the constant region allow binding to receptors on phagocytes to aid in phagocytosis and is the same in all antibodies? I don't understand the constant region!

Constant region is found to be same in all anti bodies,it eases the bonding of antigen-antibody receptors for e.g in the process of phagocytosis.
:smile:
Bleh' I've made my revision cards but don't seem to memorise anything -_-"

Started my revision for this properly since today - probably a little too late :/

I just about scraped an A in F211, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to match it this time..

What do you guys think is the hardest part?

And what topics are the long answer questions more likely to be based on this time?
I have a feeling a long answer semi-conservative replication can come up; will this get full marks?

- The double helix unwinds and DNA unzips as the hydrogen bonds between polynucleotides are broken by enzyme Helicase
- Existing Nucleotides act as a template for assembly of nucleotides
- Free nucleotides which are made in cytoplasm move towards the exposed bases of DNA
- Base pairing occurs between free Nucleotide and exposed bases. A-T and C-G (Hydrogen bonds form between the complementary bases)
- The enzyme DNA Polymerase forms a covalent bond between the free nucleotide attached to each template
- At end, 2 daughter DNA molecules form separate double helices.
Enzyme: Enzymes are globular proteins, with a specific tertiary structure, which catalyse metabolic reactions in living organisms. They can act as catalysts and have a specific tertiary structure with an active site complementary to the substrate. They can speed up a reaction but do not get used up. Their activity can be affected by temp and pH.

Extracellular : enzyme catalyses reactions outside of a cell
Intracellular: enzyme catalyses reactions inside the cell.

Enzyme inhibitor: is any substance or molecule that slows down the rate of an enzyme-controlled reaction by affecting the enzyme molecule in some way.

Activation energy is the amount of energy that must be applied for a reaction to proceed. Different reactions require different levels of activation energy. Enzymes reduce the amount of activation energy needed to allow a reaction to proceed.

Coenzyme: organic molecule which binds to active site before or after during reaction for short period of time. They are recycled to take part in the reaction again (unlike substrate molecules), and carry chemical groups between enzymes so link together enzyme controlled reactions that need to take place in a sequence. If they are a permanent part of the enzyme they are known as a prosthetic group.

Cofactor
: Cofactors are IONS that increase the rate of enzyme controlled reactions, their presence allows enzyme substrate complexes to form more easily.

Denaturation: changes the tertiary structure of an enzyme such that it cannot function and its function cannot be restored. It does not change the primary structure of an enzyme (only the TERTIARY/3D structure) therefore substrate can no longer form enzyme-substrate complex.

Optimum pH: is the pH value at which the rate of an enzyme-controlled reaction is at its maximum. Each enzyme has a specific optimum pH
Reply 152
This better be a nice paper!!
Original post by ibysaiyan
Back in summer 09 they had long essay question for water molecule then in jan. 10 a four mark question on the structure of anti bodies...

hmm......well I can still hope! (and pray, more importantly :wink:)

So what do you think will come up? :smile:
Reply 154

- Food tests seem to be pretty much constant, don't think I've seen a paper without them.
- Possibly another question relating Domains and Kingdoms; there was a question on this not long ago, but the reports slated how it was answered, so there's scope for that.
- Reports also criticised the way in which food spoilage questions were answered, so make sure you know the different methods!
- EIAs
- Disease transmission; malaria, as someone mentioned, hasn't been seen for a while (on the paper, that is).
-Cellulose?
- Action of LDLs/HDLs
- DNA rep.
- Poisons/Drugs
- Effects of smoking
-Natural selection and Conservation

The last few are a bit broad, but they're areas that haven't really been on papers that much.
And they are areas I haven't revised that much either :s can someone tell me if this is right (on speciation)

1. A smaller population is isolated from the main population
2. This can range from a reproductive to a geographical barrier.
3. Each population will experience different selection pressures I.e. Different predators
4. By natural selection, the small population will become progressively genetically different to that of the main population
5, They will now be classed as two different species and cannot inter breed to form fertile offspring.

Also food tests

1. Starch- add iodine solution to the sample (in potassium iodide). If the test is negative a yellow brown colour will be present and if positive a blue black colour will form
2. Reducing sugar- mix sample with benedicts. a reducing sugar will be able to give electrons to the benedicts solution changing the colour from blue to an orange red precipitate.
3. Non reducing- carry out normal benedicts test to establish a non reducing sugar. Boil with HCL and neutralise with sodium carbonate (releasing the reducing sugars by hydrolysis of glycosidic bond). Heat to 80 degrees in a water bath with benedicts again and a positive reducing sugar test should be present I.e. Orange red precipitate.
4. Protein- add sample to biuret solution. If a negative result is present the colour will be pale blue and if positive will be lilac colour.
5. Lipids- add ethanol solution to sample and mix in a test tube. Pour this sample into another test tuibe containing water and mix. If negative it will remain clear and if positive a cloudy white emulsion will form.

Is that right?

I still don't understand the domain and kindgom. All I know is that in that traditionally the classification system had two domains which where prokaryotae and eukaryotae. However, in recent years a three domain system of classification has been suggested by Carl Woese. This system relies on determining the evolutionary history of organisms by studying their RNA sequences. He suggested that in addition to the two domains there should also be. Third domain the archaea.
Traditionally archaea were considered to be just another tupe of bacteria because they are prokaryotic. Now however, following sequences of RNA it has been found the Archaea share some features in common with the eukaryotic rather than the bacterial cells.

The Eubacteria and archaea share features such as no membrane bound organelles and a circular loop of DNA. However the archaea and eukaryotes also share common features including, DNA bound to histones, flagellum, and the RNA polymerase enzyme.

Also what are the methods of food spoilage? Can someone please help me on this. Thanks.
And they are areas I haven't revised that much either :s can someone tell me if this is right (on speciation)

Also what are the methods of food spoilage? Can someone please help me on this. Thanks.

salting,
Dehydrates any organisms as water leaves them by osmosis
adding sugar,
Dehydrates any organisms as water leaves them by osmosis
pickling,
Acid pH denatures any microorganism’s proteins and enzymes
freezing,
Retards enzyme activity so their metabolism, growth and reproduction is slow
heat treatment
Kills harmful organisms
irradiation
Kills organisms by disrupting their DNA structure
Reply 157
Hi guys isn't DNA amazing? Here's a wicked animation of how DNA makes DNA! http://www.johnkyrk.com/DNAreplication.html
Reply 158

1. A smaller population is isolated from the main population
2. This can range from a reproductive to a geographical barrier.
3. Each population will experience different selection pressures I.e. Different predators
4. By natural selection, the small population will become progressively genetically different to that of the main population
5, They will now be classed as two different species and cannot inter breed to form fertile offspring.

Also food tests

1. Starch- add iodine solution to the sample (in potassium iodide). If the test is negative a yellow brown colour will be present and if positive a blue black colour will form
2. Reducing sugar- mix sample with benedicts. a reducing sugar will be able to give electrons to the benedicts solution changing the colour from blue to an orange red precipitate.
3. Non reducing- carry out normal benedicts test to establish a non reducing sugar. Boil with HCL and neutralise with sodium carbonate (releasing the reducing sugars by hydrolysis of glycosidic bond). Heat to 80 degrees in a water bath with benedicts again and a positive reducing sugar test should be present I.e. Orange red precipitate.
4. Protein- add sample to biuret solution. If a negative result is present the colour will be pale blue and if positive will be lilac colour.
5. Lipids- add ethanol solution to sample and mix in a test tube. Pour this sample into another test tuibe containing water and mix. If negative it will remain clear and if positive a cloudy white emulsion will form.

Is that right?

I still don't understand the domain and kindgom. All I know is that in that traditionally the classification system had two domains which where prokaryotae and eukaryotae. However, in recent years a three domain system of classification has been suggested by Carl Woese. This system relies on determining the evolutionary history of organisms by studying their RNA sequences. He suggested that in addition to the two domains there should also be. Third domain the archaea.
Traditionally archaea were considered to be just another tupe of bacteria because they are prokaryotic. Now however, following sequences of RNA it has been found the Archaea share some features in common with the eukaryotic rather than the bacterial cells.

The Eubacteria and archaea share features such as no membrane bound organelles and a circular loop of DNA. However the archaea and eukaryotes also share common features including, DNA bound to histones, flagellum, and the RNA polymerase enzyme.

Food Tests: The spec says you need to know about how you would obtain quantitative results from the benedicts test on reducing sugars. i.e. colorimetry... there are stages to this.

As for the Classification hierarchy, you're better off making a pneumonic. My friend gave me one however I am not sure if the language is appropriate for this site.... :O Just make one up for DKPCOFGS. Or just repeat DomainKingdomPhylumClassOrderFamilyGenusSpecies to yourself a million times when your idle :-)

Reply 159
OK getting carried away with DNA http://www.johnkyrk.com/er.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending