The Student Room Group

MPA ID at LSE vs MPhil at Oxford University

Poll

Degree

Hi!

I have an offer of admissions for the MPA in ID at LSE, however I just saw the MPhil in Development Studies at Oxford University and wished I had applied. I also went to see the university last week and seems an amazing place to study. It also seems to have a slightly better recognition (although LSE is still very strong). In addition the costs of the course at LSE are very high and course quality and structure doesn´t seem the best.

I would like if anyone could tell me something more about how this courses compare in terms of quality and future career propsects in international development. Also if you think that is worth deferring at LSE in order to try to get a place in the second one.

Thanks!
Original post by capuccino
future career propsects in international development.

In what capacity? Academia, TA, policy, or grassroots? The focus of these programmes are quite different. If you only have a general sense of doing 'something good' in ID, then you might as well try to enhance your hard skills with an MPP/MPA...
Reply 2
I am not completely sure but I am leaning towards policy work, something like international organization applied policy, DFID, EBRD or something similar.

I agree I think it would be a good idea to acquire skills. However, the course is basically the chance I got to do a graduate course. It seems that the Oxford name is still above LSE (especially for academia) and the uni experience there must be really enriching, but one wonders whether the extra year would be worth it, especially since I have to find work and stuff.

I am trying to be pragmatic and think about the career opportunities that may arise rather than only the course, as otherwise I would wait straight forward.
Original post by capuccino
I am not completely sure but I am leaning towards policy work, something like international organization applied policy, DFID, EBRD or something similar.

I agree I think it would be a good idea to acquire skills. However, the course is basically the chance I got to do a graduate course. It seems that the Oxford name is still above LSE (especially for academia) and the uni experience there must be really enriching, but one wonders whether the extra year would be worth it, especially since I have to find work and stuff.

I am trying to be pragmatic and think about the career opportunities that may arise rather than only the course, as otherwise I would wait straight forward.

For academia sure, ODID is probably more suitable, but otherwise, in any capacity as a practitioner, not really. They even admit it on their website.

And TBH, university prestige doesn't carry much currency in this field. If you really want to go to Oxford just to be there (perfectly valid reason if that's what makes you happy), by all means reapply. But I guarantee it's not going to make or break you.

In any case, extra work experience will always be valuable at the other end of the tunnel...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending