The Student Room Group

Question about Maths at Oxbridge.

gz
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's absolutely no problem dropping history after AS (maths, furthermaths + physics are the strongest 3 subjects for maths) but I am actually not sure if they will care much if you mess it up at AS. There's no real definite answer, so just do your best (on one hand they won't care because it's history, but then again you will be compared to people with 4 or 5 As at AS).
Original post by Camss
Hey people,
It's a dream of mine to study Maths at Cambridge or equivalent, so I suppose my real question is simply that, if I screw up in History and drop it after AS, how much will this hurt my application to an unrelated degree (maths) at one of these unis, bearing in mind my other exam scores should -hopefully- be fantastic?
Cheers

I am sure you have noticed but for Cambridge or Warwick you will need STEP as well, and that might be the crucial factor.
Reply 3
Original post by BillLionheart
I am sure you have noticed but for Cambridge or Warwick you will need STEP as well, and that might be the crucial factor.

Aware of this, and will be prepared for it, only worried about how much not getting an A for AS History will mess up my chances of even getting an interview/offer.
Reply 4
Original post by Camss
Aware of this, and will be prepared for it, only worried about how much not getting an A for AS History will mess up my chances of even getting an interview/offer.

Well they do look at UMS for all subjects. To get pooled I think you have to get 92% or above in all ASs and have a certain number of A*s at GCSE.
Reply 5
Drop History. Having 3 A2s is definitely enough. If you've taught yourself Further Maths and done well, then you'll be an impressive candidate.
Reply 6
Original post by Camss

You should definitely try to make sure you get the A at AS for History. If you are intelligent enough to get perfect scores after self teaching you should be able to manage History with plenty of effort!
Original post by anshul95
Well they do look at UMS for all subjects. To get pooled I think you have to get 92% or above in all ASs and have a certain number of A*s at GCSE.

Nonsense. You can't make such generalisations about results.
Some college admissions staff barely even look at GCSE grades, and some base the offer on the interview more than anything else.
And then there's the personal statement, extra curriculum activities/achievements, etc.

What you said is still perhaps often true, but you definitely cannot say anything like "No A*s at GCSE? Don't even hope for an offer".
Reply 8
Original post by tomthecool
Some college admissions staff barely even look at GCSE grades, and some base the offer on the interview more than anything else.
And then there's the personal statement, extra curriculum activities/achievements, etc.

What you said is still perhaps often true, but you definitely cannot say anything like "No A*s at GCSE? Don't even hope for an offer".

no no you misunderstood me - I said to get POOLED, which means getting rejected the first time but if you have 92% in your ASs and a certain number of A*/A GCSEs then you will have another chance to be picked out by another college who perhaps still have places available. But to be honest, every single maths department I have been to says they DO NOT care about extra curriculum, only academics.

Edit: But even then, when push comes to shove they will probably look at GCSEs when comparing two identical candidates
(edited 12 years ago)

He is right. And it is 7A*s.
no no you misunderstood me - I said to get POOLED, which means getting rejected the first time but if you have 92% in your ASs and a certain number of A*/A GCSEs then you will have another chance to be picked out by another college who perhaps still have places available. But to be honest, every single maths department I have been to says they DO NOT care about extra curriculum, only academics.

Edit: But even then, when push comes to shove they will probably look at GCSEs when comparing two identical candidates

Original post by ilovedubstep
He is right. And it is 7A*s.

...So I just looked through the Cambridge admissions guide (http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/guide.pdf) and found no such information.

So then I did some more googling for information. This page looked hopeful http://www.applytocambridge.com/applying/faqs/ ... but alas, no mention at all of these "rules" for getting into the pool.

But I kept looking. I found this article, written in January by a Cambridge professor. Surely that would mention it? But no, in fact, it says almost the exact opposite.

..... In fact, the ONLY thing I could find was this post on TSR, which says "You need 7A*s... to get autopooled". Which I still cannot find one piece of information online to back up, but at least sounds plausible.
(edit: I also found this thread which discusses how it was recommended/required for colleges to autopool candidates 2 years ago, at least. But still, no 'real' source to verify that.)

And then I thought back to me own application to Cambridge, 2 years ago...
So wait, not only do I not remember the admissions staff mentioning this rule to me, but I happen to have only got 3A*s at GCSE and have averaged 88% in further maths AS ... yet I was pooled?
So I guess (if true) it must be a brand new rule? Seems highly unlikely.

So basically (tl;dr), please don't just tell me I'm wrong and -rep me for questioning one of these meaningless rumours that go around about uni applications year after year. It's only adding to the confusion; possibly even making people think there's "no point applying".
Reply 11
...So I just looked through the Cambridge admissions guide (http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/guide.pdf) and found no such information.

So then I did some more googling for information. This page looked hopeful http://www.applytocambridge.com/applying/faqs/ ... but alas, no mention at all of these "rules" for getting into the pool.

But I kept looking. I found this article, written in January by a Cambridge professor. Surely that would mention it? But no, in fact, it says almost the exact opposite.

..... In fact, the ONLY thing I could find was this post on TSR, which says "You need 7A*s... to get autopooled". Which I still cannot find one piece of information online to back up, but at least sounds plausible.
(edit: I also found this thread which discusses how it was recommended/required for colleges to autopool candidates 2 years ago, at least. But still, no 'real' source to verify that.)

And then I thought back to me own application to Cambridge, 2 years ago...
So wait, not only do I not remember the admissions staff mentioning this rule to me, but I happen to have only got 3A*s at GCSE and have averaged 88% in further maths AS ... yet I was pooled?
So I guess (if true) it must be a brand new rule? Seems highly unlikely.

So basically (tl;dr), please don't just tell me I'm wrong and -rep me for questioning one of these meaningless rumours that go around about uni applications year after year. It's only adding to the confusion; possibly even making people think there's "no point applying".

ok then I should have said autopooled. Sorry about that. But I do remember an admissions tutor telling the person at my school applying to Cambridge that autopooling is much more common than normal pooling. You must have really impressed them at the interview.
ok then I should have said autopooled. Sorry about that. But I do remember an admissions tutor telling the person at my school applying to Cambridge that autopooling is much more common than normal pooling. You must have really impressed them at the interview.

I also remember my college saying (and I know this does not apply to all colleges by any means - they even stressed this fact whilst telling us) that they personally barely looked at GCSE grades. In fact,, having lower GCSEs and high A Levels often correlates to you doing better at university! - So rejecting people on that basis wouldn't be a smart move.

I also had a friend who was rejected from Cambridge despite having 95%ish for each subject... he wasn't maths,so that might be irrelevant, but still.
Reply 13
I also remember my college saying (and I know this does not apply to all colleges by any means - they even stressed this fact whilst telling us) that they personally barely looked at GCSE grades. In fact,, having lower GCSEs and high A Levels often correlates to you doing better at university! - So rejecting people on that basis wouldn't be a smart move.

I also had a friend who was rejected from Cambridge despite having 95%ish for each subject... he wasn't maths,so that might be irrelevant, but still.

Seeing as you've gone through the application process, how would you respond to the comment about extra cirriculars being useless? Im currently making mathematics tutorial videos via screencast to help me revise and help others, surely they do not see this as useless?
Original post by Jampolo
Seeing as you've gone through the application process, how would you respond to the comment about extra cirriculars being useless? Im currently making mathematics tutorial videos via screencast to help me revise and help others, surely they do not see this as useless?

If you're not good enough at maths, they aren't going to give you an offer. That's the gist of all the information. They don't care about ECs, GCSEs (They do a bit) e.t.c.
Reply 15
Original post by ilovedubstep
If you're not good enough at maths, they aren't going to give you an offer. That's the gist of all the information. They don't care about ECs, GCSEs (They do a bit) e.t.c.

ok but i was told that everyone who applies has roughly the same grades (A/A*'s) so its mainly down to how much you love the subject, why you want the place etc, so surely doing as much as you can to show why you deserve that place and are passionate about maths is good?
Original post by Jampolo
ok but i was told that everyone who applies has roughly the same grades (A/A*'s) so its mainly down to how much you love the subject, why you want the place etc, so surely doing as much as you can to show why you deserve that place and are passionate about maths is good?

You would think so, but it's all down to the interview.
Reply 17
It's hard to identify which qualities they look for when applying to Oxford/Cambridge. As I see it, the tutors pick the people who have the most potential, and by that I mean the people that they think they can teach, regardless of all other information which includes grades (gcses, less so AS level), ECs or anything you do related to maths (obviously they will take in to account any test scores as they are good indicator).
Original post by Jampolo

It's impossible for me to say exactly what I was judged on when I got an offer years ago... And different colleges (i.e. different admissions staff) have slightly different opinions on what is/is not important.

So all I can really say is that everything will be read and judged in some way, so of course it's better to do more rather than less.
But most importantly by far is the interview.
They are going to ask you weird questions that are NOT in a robotic A Level style. I was asked to draw the graph y=x^2*sin(1/x), for example - which I mostly managed myself, with only a couple of little hints. Then they asked me some weird question requiring proof by contradiction on an "infinite chess board, filled with natural numbers". They want to see how you tackle NEW problems, not how good you are at regurgitating exam material.

Oh, and another easy thing you might want to do is read at least a couple of maths books over summer. It makes you feel much better about your personal statement, at least. (Also, so many people will lie about reading books, and feel really scared of being caught... so don't do that. Just spend a few days reading and you'll feel so much better about it all.)

Not sure about this: I have a friend who applied for History at Cambridge, with AAABB at his Scottish Highers (min. requirement is AAAAB/AAAAA). He got an interview, then got pooled, although he was rejected in the end. So you can't need stellar grades to get pooled. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest