The Student Room Group

Can the SLC track you?

Hi,

My question. Can i get a student loan for a second degree, as i want to pursue what i always wanted.

BUT the thing is, my first degree, was self funded and i did not apply thru UCAS i went in person to uni and filled in an application form. So i dont have an SLC reference number and UCAS number. I also dont have a ULN ( unique learner number) . The question can the slc find out my first degree if i under report my qualification.

I would imagine there chances of finding me out would be very slim?

Any one know please?
Reply 1
I think if your first degree was self-funded you are entitled to loans anyway?
You're entitled to student loans to cover one undergrad degree, so if you've never taken out a student loan before, I don't imagine it would be a problem.
I could be wrong about that though! Perhaps you should look around on their website to see if it says anything about this kind of situation.
Original post by Blueflare
I think if your first degree was self-funded you are entitled to loans anyway?
You're entitled to student loans to cover one undergrad degree, so if you've never taken out a student loan before, I don't imagine it would be a problem.
I could be wrong about that though! Perhaps you should look around on their website to see if it says anything about this kind of situation.

Absolute nonsense.
You won't get funded if you've got a degree. Prior funding is irrelevant and you'll be found out if you try fraud.
Reply 3
Yes, it's pretty easy to find out actually, done it a few times in my assessing days.
Reply 4
Original post by neo112
Hi,

My question. Can i get a student loan for a second degree, as i want to pursue what i always wanted.

BUT the thing is, my first degree, was self funded and i did not apply thru UCAS i went in person to uni and filled in an application form. So i dont have an SLC reference number and UCAS number. I also dont have a ULN ( unique learner number) . The question can the slc find out my first degree if i under report my qualification.

I would imagine there chances of finding me out would be very slim?

Any one know please?

If you have completed a degree in a British university you will have a unique learner number; as far as I am aware that has nothing to do with funding, and I am fairly certain that it is actually created when you are in school.

Follow Taiko's advice for funding.
Yeah you won't be entitled to funding if you've got a degree I'm afraid. Seems completely unfair if you didn't recieve any funding for it, but that's the (completely inflexible) rules.

You could try applying, but if you get found out, its fraud. And they'll demand you pay back everything immediately. Imagine if that happens halfway through your 3rd year - "please pay back £20k NOW". Wouldn't try it if I were you.
Reply 6
Thats BS man. I didnt use any state funding what so ever. And ur wrong i checked my old uni enrollment form, my ULN number is blank, as they did not exist when i did my degree.

I have nothing to be traced on. No Slc number, no UCAS number, nothing. Iam curious and will try, i beieve iam entitled to it.

Latest

Trending

Trending