The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well I did a fair few allnighters you could probably get away with not doing them if you were superorganised but all students tend to do an allnighter every now and then
Reply 2
I've always been told that sleep is important for good grades. Compared to vets and medics, lawyers seem to have it easy, especially in the first year. hmm, maybe some people tell their supervisors that when they turn up looking like a wreck for lectures.
Reply 3
littlemonkey
Sorry if this may sound like a dumb question!! But I was wondering if it was true that law students spend whole nights studying (without sleeping) because alot of people say that this course is really hard and this is often what students do to achieve good grades.
Thanks

It is not necessary to work like this. It should be borne in mind that you will be expected to work for approximately 40 hours a week. When you choose to study is of course up to you. :smile:
This thread made me giggle because I'm just debating over whether I should read some cases or go to sleep... so hard to decide :wink:
Reply 5
Thanks,
Its actually cause I'm planning to study law. Probably reaching to far but would like to apply to Cambridge (Churchill) and I wonder, if I would be capable to study soo much as even not to sleep!!
Reply 6
littlemonkey
Thanks,
Its actually cause I'm planning to study law. Probably reaching to far but would like to apply to Cambridge (Churchill) and I wonder, if I would be capable to study soo much as even not to sleep!!

Well the latest I've stayed up working until so far is about 3, and that's cos I was disorganised during that day. I'm at Bristol and lawyers get about the same amount of work as medics and vets I would say, although it's really hard to tell as it's different sorts of work. Certainly my medic friends are shocked when I tell them how much reading I get set (to them 20 pages is a lot, to me 100 pages is average for a tutorial).

Then you put Cambridge into the equation and it gets even more intense - 8 week terms means less time to learn the same stuff. I got an interview at Oxford and was speaking to a 2nd year (who was still there working, bearing in mind this is the Christmas hols), who said "a Law degree is 10 times more work than most others*, if you study here it's 3 times more than that...that's a lot of work compared to most people!".

However, it IS perfectly possible, plenty of people do it every year. If you're good enough to be applying to Cambridge then I'm sure you can handle it, it's just about hard work and organisation. If you can manage your time there really isn't a lot more to it in my opinion! It's really rewarding if you put your mind to it.

Cxx

*statistics not meant to be accurate!
Reply 7
Yea i pull an all nighter every so often but only the nights before essays are due, not for reading/general study. It ain't very usual, I've probably done 3 this term.
Reply 8
Im in my second year now and have only ever worked until about 1 reading. Though some of my friends have stayed up all nights doing essays and seminar work, but they are unorganised!

If you plan your time and don't waste time, then you will be fine.
I try to work 9-6 week days, with lectures in the day, then perhaps a few hours reading at night. Then about 5 hours Sat n Sun. This gives me the evenings free to relax, go out and do my sports!
Reply 9
i can't physically do all-nighters. Latest I've worked to is like 2.30.

I have a tutorial at 11am (today now!) on conspiracies and parties to crime that ive done no work for. im going to bed in a minute and will get up at 8 to cram the work :frown:

Meh i hate being so disorganised, usually i wouldn't leave it this late, but we have coursework do for submission soon and thats taking priority.
Reply 10
most of my all nighters result from cumin home late from walkabout and then havin sex...
Reply 11
My ethos has petered out as of late, although initially it was not uncommon for me to spend three or four hours on a given day, reading. Of course, the fact of my refusal to attend lectures, coupled with a photographic memory, has meant that I seem to get away with doing remarkably less work than most (who would purport a similar level of attainment).
Reply 12
Profesh
My ethos has petered out as of late, although initially it was not uncommon for me to spend three or four hours on a given day, reading. Of course, the fact of my refusal to attend lectures, coupled with a photographic memory, has meant that I seem to get away with doing remarkably less work than most (who would purport a similar level of attainment).

rofl, do you know how much of a tosser you sound...

with a photographic memory, has meant that I seem to get away with doing remarkably less work than most (who would purport a similar level of attainment)

ROFL!!! Tell me you dont speak like that in real life. ROFL!! ROFL!!
Reply 13
tiantang
rofl, do you know how much of a tosser you sound...

ROFL!!! Tell me you dont speak like that in real life. ROFL!! ROFL!!

Incidentally, I would've thought it only a literal 'tosser' who attributes the necessity for all-nighters to "cumin home late from walkabout and then havin sex[sic]"; publicly, on an internet forum.

One Phonicsdude is quite enough per Student Room, thank-you very much.
Reply 14
Please don't compare me to Phonicsdude; for starters i hate xanthe with a passion.

That hurt, and was below the belt!

--------------

Profesh
Incidentally, I would've thought it only a bona fide 'tosser' who attributes the necessity for all-nighters to "cumin home late from walkabout and then havin sex[sic]".

I havent got a clue how to respond to this as i can't be arsed to re-read it to make sense.

From your time in bristol you must have realised the essence to a good law essay is clarity of thought (actually, its remembering as much ******** cases as possible and having enough caffine to get through Allan Thompson but the former does help bare.)

Ps. i've read it for a second time, and even talked it over with colly (yes, i am doin everythign possible to put of my crim law essay) your comment doesnt make sense.

P.p.s. We've both had firsts for out essays so far.

p.p.p.s Have you any friends?
Reply 15
tiantang
Please don't compare me to Phonicsdude; for starters i hate xanthe with a passion.

That hurt, and was below the belt!

Well, you've stopped short of dismissing my riposte out of hand as an 'unsubstantiated assertion': there may yet be hope.
Reply 16
Profesh
Well, you've stopped short of dismissing my riposte out of hand as an 'unsubstantiated assertion': there may yet be hope.

ROFL.

but seriously, do you talk like this in real life?
Reply 17
tiantang
I havent got a clue how to respond to this as i can't be arsed to re-read it to make sense.

From your time in bristol you must have realised the essence to a good law essay is clarity of thought (actually, its remembering as much ******** cases as possible and having enough caffine to get through Allan Thompson but the former does help bare.)

Not to mention (assuming you're gunning for a First): verbatim quotation, relevant obiter, noteworthy or quasi-authoritative dissenting judgements (attributed), et c.
Reply 18
Me and mate are havin a field day here.

No i'm not gunnin for a first. i think it's too much work. i will be happy with a high 2.1. as i still want sum social life... though i do realise the irony if im gonna aim subsequently for an MC firm.

Answer my question, do you talk like that in real life?

Edit: meh, pleasure talkin to you, brightened up my evening.. or is it morning. time to get started on that essay,
Reply 19
tiantang
Me and mate are havin a field day here.

No i'm not gunnin for a first. i think it's too much work. i will be happy with a high 2.1. as i still want sum social life... though i do realise the irony if im gonna aim subsequently for an MC firm.

Answer my question, do you talk like that in real life?

Edit: meh, pleasure talkin to you, brightened up my evening.. or is it morning. time to get started on that essay,

I may come across as quite authoritative here on TSR (that is, by comparison with other freshers), but it's still debatable whether or not I'll reign in my more 'maverick' tendencies sufficiently to attain the coveted 2.1: if my first raft of completed assignments were to garner any degree classification, I daresay I'd be happy. Still, I'm through to the second round of the Herbert Smith Mooting Competition; that's got to be worth something.

And, in answer to your question: more or less, yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending