The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mate you sound like a right tart. i bet you wouldnt have the wit to come up with all these big words off the cuff in real life, so unless you want to be an e-lawyer where you can subscribe to the professional add on version of microsoft word synonyms to make your life look more fancy and less pathetic, i suggest you get off the internet and enjoy your uni life.
I'm final year, on line for a first and never pulled an all-nighter. Its all down to organisation and being ultra-time efficient, and Im pretty good at being ruthless with my social life when uni work calls for it - to be honest sometimes something does have to give somewhere no matter how organised you are. :redface:

The best advice would be to be as organised as possible, but if you do have a really great social life, you've got to be prepared to be looking up cases at 3am!!!

One of my best friends on my course subscribes to this method, and she gets amazing grades so whatever works for you!! :cool:
Reply 22
af1
mate you sound like a right tart. i bet you wouldnt have the wit to come up with all these big words off the cuff in real life, so unless you want to be an e-lawyer where you can subscribe to the professional add on version of microsoft word synonyms to make your life look more fancy and less pathetic, i suggest you get off the internet and enjoy your uni life.

Actually, where 'real life' is concerned, I've already won our little wager pre-emptively. (Truth be told, there are lasses who just can't get enough of it; but that's by-the-by: I'll confer a similar benefit of doubt in assuming you're not nearly so rabidly incoherent outside TSR - quid pro quo, and all that. Bonne chance!)
He he its 6.00am and I m working. Its a one off though. Just getting those footnotes perfect then bed after handing in this essay
Reply 24
LauraWalker
He he its 6.00am and I m working. Its a one off though. Just getting those footnotes perfect then bed after handing in this essay

I missed a Law & State seminar, yesterday; a Tort tutorial, last week. Truth be told, I haven't exactly been 'tip-top' of late; attributable, in no small part, to having no money and an overdraft that I am prevented from utilising.

Still, one more 1,200-word problem question for Contract, a 1,500 essay in Tort, a short assignment (of our choice) for Property, and it's home free. Oh, glory of glories.
Reply 25
littlemonkey
Sorry if this may sound like a dumb question!! But I was wondering if it was true that law students spend whole nights studying (without sleeping) because alot of people say that this course is really hard and this is often what students do to achieve good grades.
Thanks

Well, I think I did about 10-15 hours independent study per week during my undergraduate years at UCL, so I don't think you really need to sacrifice anything at all (social life, extra-curricular activities, part-time job) if you are focused and organised. I really, really do think that the quality of your study is far, far more important than the number of hours you study!

For the record, I took a high first and had all three - a pleasant social life, interesting extra-curricular acitivities and a part-time job! :smile:
Reply 26
lawgrad
Well, I think I did about 10-15 hours independent study per week during my undergraduate years at UCL, so I don't think you really need to sacrifice anything at all (social life, extra-curricular activities, part-time job) if you are focused and organised. I really, really do think that the quality of your study is far, far more important than the number of hours you study!

For the record, I took a high first and had all three - a pleasant social life, interesting extra-curricular acitivities and a part-time job! :smile:

Indeed; I would've been quite astounded by this but for the fact that, as I recall, the 'independent study' you relate picked up to around 40 hours/week nearer exam-time. Certainly, I can identify with your point regarding 'quality' versus quantity of study: I make no notes, but I do assimilate a great deal with the effect of being able to reel off cases and statutes ad hoc (provided that I genuinely engage with the subject matter beforehand; which admittedly, as of late, I haven't been doing a great deal of), and most principles don't take me very long to apprehend. Conversely, a girl that I know was complaining of the sheer volume of her note-taking being comparable to that of the core text; and yet despite all this, she said, most of it didn't really seem to paraphrase anything useful or important. The irony being, of course, that my written style is such as to probably ensure me a middle Third in the mid-sessionals, despite any nascent 'expertise' I might purport elsewhere (and, in fairness, I've been sought out on more than one occasion with that in mind).

As regards revision I shall probably do no more than to simply spend the prescribed forty-odd hours per week, methodically reprising my tutorial reading lists and intensively memorising/formulating propositions of law; maybe interspersed with the odd 'practice question'. At least, that's the plan.
Reply 27
Profesh
as I recall, the 'independent study' you relate picked up to around 40 hours/week nearer exam-time.

Quite true indeed. Most observant of you, I must say. :smile:

But then again, 40 hours a week during the Easter break (with no classes!) is really quite alright!
I was about to say.... but was afraid of sounding like a slacker :p: that 40 hours a week seemed to be FAR more than us freshers are expected to do at the moment!

I certainly haven't had to pull any all-nighters yet, at least.
Notwithstanding the exam period, to average out at 40 hours a week studying is impressive but somewhat obscene...and I'm in my final year! I've only ever experienced one all-nighter, which was earlier this term.

Needless to say this will never EVER happen again!!! Far too stressful.
Reply 30
MissBrightside
Notwithstanding the exam period, to average out at 40 hours a week studying is impressive but somewhat obscene...and I'm in my final year!

You can't be serious?! 40 hours of study (revising your work, running through past exam papers, memorising cases, etc.) a week during the one-month Easter break is surely quite a comfortable arrangement? I think at UCL/LSE/KCL, many people ended up doing double that, which I find unhealthy!

Or maybe the Londoners work harder than people elsewhere? Lol.
lawgrad
You can't be serious?! 40 hours of study (revising your work, running through past exam papers, memorising cases, etc.) a week during the one-month Easter break is surely quite a comfortable arrangement? I think at UCL/LSE/KCL, many people ended up doing double that, which I find unhealthy!

Or maybe the Londoners work harder than people elsewhere? Lol.

I'm at UCL. 'lol'.

During the exam period I did average about 40 hours a week, which I found manageable for the month. But I certainly don't do that during the rest of the year.

That's what I meant to say. And yes...I think the reasonable person would find 80 hours, exams or not, slightly excessive.
lawgrad

...and indeed, 10-15 hours of *quality* studying outside seminars is far more realistic for an average week.
Reply 33
MissBrightside
During the exam period I did average about 40 hours a week, which I found manageable for the month. But I certainly don't do that during the rest of the year.

That's what I meant to say.

Yes, that is what I meant - 40 hours per week during the exam period.

--------------

MissBrightside
...and indeed, 10-15 hours of *quality* studying outside seminars is far more realistic for an average week.

Certainly. After all, we have about 10-11 hours of classes anyway! :smile:
lawgrad
Yes, that is what I meant - 40 hours per week during the exam period.

--------------

Certainly. After all, we have about 10-11 hours of classes anyway! :smile:

Then what's with this "are you serious?" and "perhaps Londoners work harder" lark then?!
Reply 35
MissBrightside
Then what's with this "are you serious?" and "perhaps Londoners work harder" lark then?!

I thought you originally meant '40 hours a week during exam period' is obscene, and my response was a genuine expression of surprise.

The Londoners work harder bit was just a joke.

I do apologise if it came out the wrong way. :frown:
I'd rather be doing jurisprudence than world legal orders :redface:
Reply 37
Onearmedbandit
I'd rather be doing jurisprudence than world legal orders :redface:

I give you two years to withdraw that statement. :smile: Jurisprudence is the most awful and tedious subject in the entire law degree course!
lawgrad
I give you two years to withdraw that statement. :smile: Jurisprudence is the most awful and tedious subject in the entire law degree course!

After only one term, I concur. This, however, is closely followed by the old 'Introduction to Law', now replaced by WLO (which I hear many a bad thing about!)
Well it's probably more worthwhile than the introduction to law course, but it's also probably more work!!

Latest

Trending

Trending