The Student Room Group

M1 Mechanics Vectors Help D:

Ahh~ i've been stuck on this question for like an hour now trying different methods and constantly getting the wrong answer; i was wondering if anyone could help me with this and talk me through how to do it? ^^"

At 11:00 hours the position vector of an aircraft relative to an airport O is (200i + 30j) km, i and j being unit vectors due east and due north respectively. The velocity of the aircraft is (180i - 120j) km/h.

Find the time when the aircraft is due east of the airport O
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Bakasplitz
Ahh~ i've been stuck on this question for like an hour now trying different methods and constantly getting the wrong answer; i was wondering if anyone could help me with this and talk me through how to do it? ^^"

At 11:00 hours the position vector of an aircraft relative to an airport O is (200i + 30j) km, i and j being unit vectors due east and due north respectively. The velocity of the aircraft is (180i + 120j) km/h.

Find the time when the aircraft is due east of the airport O

Ignore the i component (the east one) and just use the j component (the north component). You have the position and the speed, so you need to work out when the plane is due east of the airport and this occurs when the j component of the position of the plane is 0. Once you have the time taken for the plane to become due east, you can work out the time that this occurs by adding 11 hours to it.
For this problem to be solvable shouldn't the j component of the aircraft's velocity be negative? Else the aircraft will never be due east of the airport...
Reply 3
Original post by Gemini92
Ignore the i component (the east one) and just use the j component (the north component). You have the position and the speed, so you need to work out when the plane is due east of the airport and this occurs when the j component of the position of the plane is 0. Once you have the time taken for the plane to become due east, you can work out the time that this occurs by adding 11 hours to it.

just completed it, now i can do the rest of the question :biggrin:
thanks so much ^^"
Reply 4
Original post by In One Ear
For this problem to be solvable shouldn't the j component of the aircraft's velocity be negative? Else the aircraft will never be due east of the airport...

oh, yeah sorry, thats a typo O:
my bad, the velocity is (180i - 120j)km/h :biggrin:D
Ah okay :smile:, 11:15 then?
Reply 6
Original post by In One Ear
Ah okay :smile:, 11:15 then?

yeah :biggrin:
then i was able to finish the other parts of the question which arent too hard (:
thanks for the help guys ^^

Quick Reply

Latest