The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjmo
Okay know we know this one was obvious who is in the Astronaut - River Again would be the obvious one? Maybe Amy or Rory or the Child

If you think about it though, River "killed a good man" - The Astronaut killed the Doctor. She ended up in prision for killing this man, and we still haven't seen this, if she did kill that future Doctor then technically she could be let out by the younger Doctor that we are now travelling with.

Also River shot that Astronaut, but it didn't die, possibly because it was her and she can't kill a younger version of herself as it would create a paradox.

Anyway, my head hurts now so I'm going to stop making up theories.
Original post by Tasneemo
damn I've ran out of rep, but that would be so annoying!
did anyone else get the feeling the Doctor didn't actually remember who she was, and had to do the whole hold her face and make a connection thing to see how they met?

maybe i'm just a pessimistic b***h.

Well he asked who she was once she'd died, so presumably he didn't remember.

I have no idea either, although it sounds vaguely familiar, but maybe I'm imaging things.
Reply 5042
How did lorna know that river song was melody pond (amy's baby)?
Original post by Satta101

She didn't.

She just wrote Melody Pond in her language.
Reply 5044
but did you see the red reference, did ya? :eek:
majorinsignificantplotlinefreakout!

What do you mean? What was the significance of the 'red' reference?
Original post by Satta101

I don't think she did. It was the TARDIS that translated the name on the cloth, she wrote Melody Pond, but in their language there wasn't a word for 'Pond' so when the translation kicked in it read 'River'
Original post by shootforstars
If you think about it though, River "killed a good man" - The Astronaut killed the Doctor. She ended up in prision for killing this man, and we still haven't seen this, if she did kill that future Doctor then technically she could be let out by the younger Doctor that we are now travelling with.

Also River shot that Astronaut, but it didn't die, possibly because it was her and she can't kill a younger version of herself as it would create a paradox.

Anyway, my head hurts now so I'm going to stop making up theories.

Toclafane killed Humans though. When the Paradox machine was removed they died.
Reply 5047
Really liked it. I love Doctor Who.. a lot. :yy:
I found it all a bit too predictable.. less timey-wimey than borey-worey.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
What red reference? :pierre:

hey! don't act like that now, I know you saw it and was all like 'daaamnnn that Tasneemo was right :|'
it was when that one half of the gay agena couple was dragged away by the Headless Monks (the scene where he's about to be turned into one), and he commented on how 'red' the whole room was. watch it again, you'll see it :smile:
I knew that, I was wondering whether we had seen the Gamma Forest before :confused:

oh, well no we haven't yet but I assume we will in the future :biggrin:
The River in TIA said it was her last kiss. But if this is an older River, and she's going on dates with the Doctor ... it clearly isn't her last kiss. Unless we're seeing a River who is younger than the TIA River and the River who makes the revelation is younger than the River who comes back from a date.

Therefore an older version of the Doctor is going on a date with a River in between adventures where both a younger and older version of River is having with his younger self. That made no sense but yeah, that must be it.

Timey wimey makes my head hurt. :frown: But I think I understand what you're saying, even if I don't understand what it means.

Not sure if someone's already posted this, but I just saw it on my facebook news feed. https://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.drwho/browse_thread/thread/7cd734f99a62ae98/c845f05e9b213df9?lnk=st&q&hl=en#c845f05e9b213df9

If that's real, it's quite cool.
Okay, done. River Song/Melody Pond/Swamp Dirge revelation was pretty much stunningly obvious. Entertaining enough though, and the wait will be tough. ALSO, now The Doctor has gotten off with Rory's wife and daughter. All that's left for complete and total humiliation is his mum. :indiff:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Crassus
What do you mean? What was the significance of the 'red' reference?

I have a theory picked up on the fact that there is a tonne of red things dotted around all over the series [red fez, red bow ties, amy wears something red nearly every episode, craigs front door in the lodger is red etc etc], it might be random, or it might be plotline worthy, who knows :smile: except The Moff of course.
Original post by ??????????????????
Toclafane killed Humans though. When the Paradox machine was removed they died.

They were sent back to the end of the universe when the Doctor reversed time, the Paradox machine wasn't actually destroyed so to speak because they never arrived to kill the humans in the first place, therefore there was not paradox.
Original post by jjmo
Okay know we know this one was obvious who is in the Astronaut - River Again would be the obvious one? Maybe Amy or Rory or the Child

I think it's the younger version of River since she killed "the best man she ever knew", then the older version of River watched it on the beach and she knew all along that he was going to die.... since she killed him when she was younger?
Spectacular. Loved it. Truly, truly, truly brilliant!

I mean - sure, saw that coming a mile off! Not just the River Song/Melody Pond thing, which was ridiculously obvious from the get go, but the Doctor as a Monk, the death of blue guy, the whole leaf/translation, the only water left in the forest is the river I all predicted before they happened (but in the course of the episode). But I don't mind, because it was BRILLIANT and I was HAPPY and I just completely, completely, completely lovedfangirlyloved it.

Awesome how there's still LOTS left to be excited by. I think the forest is going to turn up again and all of that, and so the name on the cradle - how does that work? Alex Kingston said it was the Doctor's name, but that confused me slightly. As did the bit in confidential where she was talking about different children in the cradle and spoilering :holmes: Oh but OH! :biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin:
Am I alone in my feeling of tearful sadness at watching the Doctor's delight at starting a war at the beginning of the episode?
I think at the end of series 6, I'm still going to prefer series 5.
His children possibly?

Still doesn't explain a few things.

1. How did the Doctor figure out who River was from his cradle? It would have made sense if it was from Lorna's leaf but his cot?

2. Why did River try to get Amy to read the Doctor's cot and not Lorna's leaf?

Also we still don't know why River is in prison.

I'm guessing that killing a good man is metaphorical because the Doctor has to become less of a threat but still...
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest