The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mess.
Slag is more of a generic word these days used in the same way as 'that hammer is gay'. Feminist rants are a tad tiresome when you spend a lot of time in university :facepalm2: at them.

Amy is more than sexually confident. Sexual confidence is a good thing. Knowing who you are etc is a good thing. However, this is a family show (I think they should drop that tag and aim slightly more mature but whatever) and people don't want to have to explain to their kids why a woman who is in a relationship is flirting with another man. And she is doing it even though her boyfriend has met the new man.

Think of it in purely childish terms. The way kids get taught life. Man loves woman, woman loves man, they get married and love eachother forever.
Then on a show aimed at that age group you have. Man loves woman, woman says she loves man, woman flirst aggressively and sexually with man 2, man 1 is now confused and parents are having to explain things they probably can't be bothered doing on a Saturday night.

"I'm a screamer" is something that can be taken two ways so works perfectly, like the original Shrek film etc. However, Amy is a lot more 'physical' about her flirting. She was also introduced as a kissogram which is something quite hard to explain to kids, especially as, yet again, she is in a relationship.

As I said earlier, I like that she is putting it out there as we get more o her :sexface: but you need to think of the age group this show is aimed at.

But what agegroup is the show aimed at? I've seen everything from 'family show' to 'kids show' to 'adults only'.
Reply 1321
Original post by sleekchic

But what agegroup is the show aimed at? I've seen everything from 'family show' to 'kids show' to 'adults only'.

The general term seems to be family show. I've never heard adults only tbh and it is on pre-watershed and at prime time so I seriously doubt that.

If anything, especially when coming from the RTD era, it is a family show aimed at late Junior school, early Senior school kids specifically. Now with Moffat it seems to be more general family.
http://www.radiotimes.com/blogs/1285-doctor-who-who-is-the-new-series-aimed-at-matt-smith-steven-moffat/

I don't know if this has been posted but I saw it on the RT website a couple of weeks ago and the comments above reminded me.

To be honest as I thoroughly enjoy the show I don't fully agree with anybody who bashes it but I'm not sure whether he might have a point or not, what do y'all think? :h:
Ha, stupid comment on the article I just posted:

What happened to the good old days of the TARDIS landing on an alien world or another time and having a proper adventure. The scope of the show is enormous, yet every episode seems to be already familiar and predictable.

Predictable? Really?? I think this thread alone is proof that this is not the case. Oh well :p: I would certainly argue that Alien planet -> fighty fighty -> suspense -> doctor saves the day is far more predictable than what goes on at the moment, but there you go.
I read that a while ago and I can kind of understand what he's trying to say but I don't agree with it because the writer, like many others seems to underestimate the current generation. I can't go into detail as I'm off to bed and I really hate using anecdotal evidence, but I know a lot of kids that age that have found it easy to understand the storyline and actually understand what's going on. So the whole kids are being left behind thing is too patronising, although it's definitely something that should be taken into account.
Reply 1325
I think that Doctor Who should be aimed at an older than general 'family' audience. As it works much better. For family enteratinment there is already Merlin. So DW should be pushed into the higher age realm. They would hopefully be able to discuss the philosophical aspects of the show a bit more then :h:

I am looking forward to the day the writers of DW don't have to rely on paradoxes/deus ex machinas/timey-wimey to tell a story. Then, in my opinion, it would be more accepted outside of the family/sci fi realms.
The episodes need to be an enjoyable romp, for the casual and younger viewers, whilst having those extra layers for the older or more intense fans. Family shows can be so hard to do because they have to work well on both levels, and I think Doctor Who does it rather well. Sure, occasionally it's all too silly, or perhaps too serious/complicated and thus drowns out at least one audience, but overall it works. The point is it's a show for everyone.
Original post by Mess.
I think that Doctor Who should be aimed at an older than general 'family' audience. As it works much better. For family enteratinment there is already Merlin. So DW should be pushed into the higher age realm. They would hopefully be able to discuss the philosophical aspects of the show a bit more then :h:

I am looking forward to the day the writers of DW don't have to rely on paradoxes/deus ex machinas/timey-wimey to tell a story. Then, in my opinion, it would be more accepted outside of the family/sci fi realms.

I think Doctor Who is a level above Merlin in that it is far more complex whilst still being able to be viewed on a simple level. Merlin is just so uncomplicated it's ridiculous. Last series was a bit better, but it also had some of the stupidest episodes ever, that I'm sure even Children felt were awful (I'm looking at you Goblin's Gold!)
Reply 1328
I read that a while ago and I can kind of understand what he's trying to say but I don't agree with it because the writer, like many others seems to underestimate the current generation. I can't go into detail as I'm off to bed and I really hate using anecdotal evidence, but I know a lot of kids that age that have found it easy to understand the storyline and actually understand what's going on. So the whole kids are being left behind thing is too patronising, although it's definitely something that should be taken into account.

Tbh this thread is pretty hardcore on the DW front. If you check the other episode threads you will see a lot of people incredibly confused about what is going on and finding that there are too many plot points happening. Now that may be because they are idiots :mmm: but if people 16-25 are struggling then 12 and under are going to be having a real problem following the show on anything but a superficial level.
Reply 1329
Original post by LastLordofTime

I think Doctor Who is a level above Merlin in that it is far more complex whilst still being able to be viewed on a simple level. Merlin is just so uncomplicated it's ridiculous. Last series was a bit better, but it also had some of the stupidest episodes ever, that I'm sure even Children felt were awful (I'm looking at you Goblin's Gold!)

:rofl: Merlin is so bad it is brilliant. But you must get the gist of the argument. And if DW is aimed at the same people at Merlin (which it seems to be judging by advertisements and time slots etc) then you can see why some people would be quite miffed at the way DW is heading.
I think I have always admired Doctor Who for the fact that you can enjoy it on an episodic level, and a deeper one if you want to and it doesn't make too much difference (although obviously it makes it better to pay attention). The more recent episodes seem to blur the lines a bit though and I think it may be hard to tune in just for some light entertainment and find that you need to be hanging on to even the 'throwaway phrases'. It does all get explained, and will do too in this series I presume. I guess it's hard to see it from the perspective of somebody who doesn't read threads like this, because I always link in knowledge I've picked up here into what I'm seeing and it might not seem so obvious to the the err, average layperson :wink:

As Mess. just said, there is a lot of confusion on the other thread. I've had to watch both episodes twice to make sure I caught everything that was going on because they're very fast paced. I do think children are underestimated in things like this but DW can be quite mind-boggling recently.
Original post by Mess.
:rofl: Merlin is so bad it is brilliant. But you must get the gist of the argument. And if DW is aimed at the same people at Merlin (which it seems to be judging by advertisements and time slots etc) then you can see why some people would be quite miffed at the way DW is heading.

I suppose yes. My thinking is that they have to advertise to children, more than they need to advertise to adults. Adults in general already know if they like it, and it's unlikely an advertising campaign will change their minds about it. They need to target the children so that more parents watch it. So the programme is aimed at everyone, with a slant towards more die-hard fans, while the advertising campaign is generally directed at children. Except for the adverts that were deemed too scary for children, apparently.

I think the "hard to follow" thing that people are complaining about is more that they're impatient and want their answers right away, like they are used to. It probably wont be hard to follow when the series is finished, people just can't seem to understand that, and children DEFINITELY wont be patient enough. It's a good move for the programme though.
Reply 1332

I suppose yes. My thinking is that they have to advertise to children, more than they need to advertise to adults. Adults in general already know if they like it, and it's unlikely an advertising campaign will change their minds about it. They need to target the children so that more parents watch it. So the programme is aimed at everyone, with a slant towards more die-hard fans, while the advertising campaign is generally directed at children. Except for the adverts that were deemed too scary for children, apparently.

I think the "hard to follow" thing that people are complaining about is more that they're impatient and want their answers right away, like they are used to. It probably wont be hard to follow when the series is finished, people just can't seem to understand that, and children DEFINITELY wont be patient enough. It's a good move for the programme though.

Definitely agree its a good move for the programme. It is nice to find a programme that is more 'real' in that things happen over a long period of time and aren't just nice little neat moments that can be wrapped up with a pretty bow.

One thing that is really bugging me is the over use of calling the Doctor 'sweetie' or 'honey'. In the last episode when the Doctor and River are shooting and she calls him 'honey' it feels so jarring and forced. They need to reign it in ever so slightly I think.
Ok, here's my theory about Amy's pregnancy:

At the Big Bang she brought back her parents, the? doctor and the "real" Rory just by wishing.

What if she just wished for a baby? And parents usually want to have the smartest, cutest, most fantastic baby. So why not wish for a Time-Lord-baby?

;-) I know it sounds ridiculous...

AddictedToTorchwood

found this quote on you tube curious about peoples opinions although i'm pretty sure after the three month gap in the series minimum shed be showing by know

@mess you have to remember the river from that relationship is used to kissing the doctor showing some kind of relationship her saying that as often as she does would be something she is used to and must have only stopped when the doctor mentions it being the first time he has
(edited 12 years ago)
Interesting, I just just watched the episode now.

I do kind of agree with the person/ people saying that they should aim for a slightly higher target audience.

Question ahead:

Spoiler

Edit: Not sure about the rules on spoilers... so I just put it in a spoiler. o.o
Reply 1335
Original post by MasterJomi
Interesting, I just just watched the episode now.

I do kind of agree with the person/ people saying that they should aim for a slightly higher target audience.

Question ahead:

Spoiler

Edit: Not sure about the rules on spoilers... so I just put it in a spoiler. o.o

The whole roman thing is from the last two episodes of the last series (The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang) where Rory appears as part of an Auton roman legion (with memories of a roman) at Stonehenge in 109AD as part of the alliance of aliens plan to trap the Doctor to prevent the TARDIS exploding. Then, when Amy was inside the Pandorica to save her life, Rory guarded it for 2000 years until it could be opened by Amelia (young Amy). After the universe was restarted, Rory kept the memories from his time as an Auton Centurion.

I hope you can follow that.
so went back about 10 pages lol cba going further anyone got any ideas on who idris is

some people have said susan, and i heard another mention rani(although the new series apparently hasn't got rights to this character yet) and maybe even leela(that right he left her in e-space)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
If you went back 10 pages, you'd know since we only discussed it 2 or more pages ago. :tongue: Consensus seems to be in favour of a physical manifestation of the TARDIS.

i really did i heard it mentioned but i was looking for a reason as to why what like hint made you think that XD
Original post by timeandacrayon
Shes very pretty :tongue:
No, she didn't have her parents for a long time, maybe its something to do with that :holmes:

Just a thought, didn't the Doctor's daughter leave in a spaceship a few seasons ago and was then never mentioned again?

Sorry if this has already been covered..
Reply 1339
Original post by Asteronnelar
Just a thought, didn't the Doctor's daughter leave in a spaceship a few seasons ago and was then never mentioned again?

Sorry if this has already been covered..

Yes she did leave in a spaceship after coming back to life after she was shot, but as far as the Doctor knows she is dead, since she didn't come back to life until after he left.

Latest