The Student Room Group

TSR Pagan Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Do we have a Pagan Society on here? I looked but couldn't find one. It might be useful :biggrin::smile:
Original post by Pandora.

Do we have a Pagan Society on here? I looked but couldn't find one. It might be useful :biggrin::smile:

I have a vague feeling someone trued to start one a year or so ago, but only got people coming in and ridiculing anyone who believed ina pagan religion... might be worth trying again though! Anyone know how to start a society? I seem to remember we have to have 1000 posts...
Original post by joanna-eve
In which case there is no supernatural in my beliefs.

What exactly does being a pagan mean to you then, beyond atheism? (I consider pantheism to be glorified atheism.)
Reply 43
Original post by Teao the Cat
I have a vague feeling someone trued to start one a year or so ago, but only got people coming in and ridiculing anyone who believed ina pagan religion... might be worth trying again though! Anyone know how to start a society? I seem to remember we have to have 1000 posts...

I'd be happy to start one but I've only just joined :biggrin: I think it's Community > Social Groups > Create A New Group
I can't see anything that mention 1000 posts though, but I'm probably wrong.
Any religion that isn't one of the big ones i.e. not christianity, islam, judaism, jainism, sikhism, buddhism or hinduism, therefore I would classify heathenism, reconstructionism, wicca, druidism, satanism, voudoun, deism, pantheism etc as paganism. Also any spiritual path that venerates nature has some element of paganism.
Pantheism =/= atheism as atheism = belief that no god exists whereas pantheism = belief that the universe is god.

I know what pantheism means, and I'm sorry, but I can't see how it is anything more than atheism. You've just redefined 'god' to be synonymous with 'nature' (or 'universe'), which strikes me as a little pointless. Why attach the label of 'god' at all? I have a great awe (and a healthy respect) for nature, but I feel no need to call it 'god'.

I don't think you understood my question: why do you identify as a pagan and practise paganism, as opposed to simply being an atheist, if there is no supernatural aspect to your belief?
Original post by j.alexanderh

Original post by j.alexanderh
I know what pantheism means, and I'm sorry, but I can't see how it is anything more than atheism. You've just redefined 'god' to be synonymous with 'nature' (or 'universe'), which strikes me as a little pointless. Why attach the label of 'god' at all? I have a great awe (and a healthy respect) for nature, but I feel no need to call it 'god'.

I don't think you understood my question: why do you identify as a pagan and practise paganism, as opposed to simply being an atheist, if there is no supernatural aspect to your belief?

To me (and again, this is a personal thing, and doesn't fit with the basic definition of Atheism) atheism also the rejection of the beleif that anything bigger is out there. I do deify nature, in a way, as I believe it to be a bigger, more powerful thing than humanity. For me to define myself as atheist would feel like I was saying 'right, that's it, there's nothing more out there, everything can be figured out by the human mind'.

Saying that, I do have aspects of my belief that could be considered supernatural, notably my beliefs in reincarnation

I believe in a God & Goddess, which are not supernatural as they ARE nature but also separate entities. Hence I am not an atheist and am pagan :smile:

Okay, that was much better than I could have said it...
Are you an atheist by any chance?

Aye.

Pantheists believe that the universe is the manifestation of God.

I know this.

I believe in a God & Goddess, which are not supernatural as they ARE nature but also separate entities.

That doesn't even make sense.

Pantheism or panentheism?
If you know that then surely you should understand that they would have to believe in a deity for it to be manifested, and therefore there is a massive difference between that & atheism.

Panentheism. Subtle difference.

This is where the problem was. You've been identifying as a pantheist when you are a panentheist. That involves a supernatural belief.
I've never identified as a pantheist....

Oh, my bad :colondollar:. Got you confused with someone else.

So there is a supernatural aspect to your belief then?
for a thread that's supposed to be about these beliefs, why does the OP not have anything about paganism or anything? it really doesn't talk about anything other than christianity
Well I don't think my idea of supernatural and everyone else's idea of supernatural is quite the same. I think of supernatural as being ghosts & aliens etc which I don't believe in, but I do believe in deities if you class them as supernatural?

Aliens are supernatural? Probability suggests that the chances of life not existing on another planet are very small. Supernatural means exactly what it says (linguist wannabe, aren't you? :wink:): super, meaning above or beyond, and natural, of nature. So something supernatural is something which cannot be explained naturally, which includes the transcendent god of panentheism.

thank you :biggrin: *curtseys*

Do you believe pretty much the same then?

Yup, just whenever anyone askes, I tend to turn into a stuttering mess! :p: It makes sense in my head, just not when I try to say it...

And I have now learnt about panentheism- had never heard of such a thing before! Had just classified it as pantheism. I feel educated!
Reply 53
I'm a Bi-Winnist.

Since the age of 10.
Reply 54
Thats some illustrius history you got there...
o_o
OP's just sharing her experience. Many people come to paganism after bad experiences with christianity, especially in the USA.

she's explained why she's not christian, not why she is pagan.
Reply 56
I'm pagan, but disillusioned with mainstream Paganism. I've experienced far too much bull**** with Wicca to follow it; Ásatrú is good, but in America is connected to racism and the Icelandic version seems a bit confused; so I don't follow any particular path and make up my own mind.

Quite possibly panentheist, specifically, but I've no idea.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think the reason I get all flustered talking about it is that i've often had a response something along the lines of 'what rubbish, why should you just choose what to belive in. it's not as if you are following an ancient manuscript or a scientific principle'.

But hey, makes sense to my odd little brain, and if i'm happy believing it, what harm does it do anyone!
Reply 58
Just to let everyone know, I've created a Pagan Society, just waiting for it to be approved. :biggrin:

Just to let everyone know, I've created a Pagan Society, just waiting for it to be approved. :biggrin:

Oooh, let me know when it is, i'll join!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending