Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does bahrain still deserve a grand prix?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Now I am worried! I think I might be agreeing with you. Is this the first sign of a coming apocalypse?
    Hahaaa, it most definitely is. A sign of my meteoric rise to be the new Bernie by the time I graduate.
    You can be Max?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    Is that worse than the killing and humiliation etc. of people elsewhere? Just think the same rules should apply to every country.
    When has the UK government ordered the deaths of civilians?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, Bahrain was fairly boring last year because of the modified sector 2, imo. The track itself was pretty good on pre-2010 and the GPs weren't too bad either. Nothing majorly exciting like Shanghai 2011, but I enjoyed them anyway.

Bahrain is one of those tracks where I don't mind whether its in the calendar or not, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I can't wait to see the new track for 2012 in the US. The steep start could be pretty interesting!
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1Addict)
    I can't wait to see the new track for 2010 in the US. The steep start could be pretty interesting!
    Just like the A1 Ring. Man I loved that circuit.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1Addict)
    To be fair, Bahrain was fairly boring last year because of the modified sector 2, imo. The track itself was pretty good on pre-2010 and the GPs weren't too bad either. Nothing majorly exciting like Shanghai 2011, but I enjoyed them anyway.

Bahrain is one of those tracks where I don't mind whether its in the calendar or not, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I can't wait to see the new track for 2010 in the US. The steep start could be pretty interesting!
    Totally agree, the only thing I liked about sector 2 is racing it in the game as it gave a little more to do every lap...but watching it didn't improve things at all.
    They're changing it back to the old layout right?

US track looks genuinely awesome!

Turkey GP soon :woo: we need the new thread up!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    When has the UK government ordered the deaths of civilians?
    How many civilians have died in Iraq and Afghanistan?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    How many civilians have died in Iraq and Afghanistan?
    None of which died at direct order of the UK government. Unless you can show me a signed document from Blair allowing the UK army to kill whoever they like?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    None of which died at direct order of the UK government. Unless you can show me a signed document from Blair allowing the UK army to kill whoever they like?
    I didn't say it was a direct order. Lives were still lost. I'm not saying killing somebody "by accident" is as bad as killing them on purpose, but at the end of the day they are still dead for no reason.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Deserve it or not, it's happening!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...ace-ahead.html
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bad Times.

I think the teams shouldn't race to be honest, I think this would be a PR nightmare and the sponsors would not want to be anywhere near it, particularly as the Bahrani gov't is still committing humanitarian atrocities. The GP just shouldn't be there and no matter how much Bernie talks of safety, its all about money which is why it has gone back.

Sickening.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a tricky thing, really. If we're going to take a moral stance here, F1 probably shouldn't be in China or Abu Dhabi either, but there's very little uproar about those.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'm just happy it's taking place so we don't have to wait 4 weeks without F1

But realistically, it's just money influencing these decisions.

It'll be horrible for the drivers in october, terribly humid and temperatures upwards of 40ºC. I've never been too much of a fan of the Bahrain GP anyway
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maynia)
    This is a tricky thing, really. If we're going to take a moral stance here, F1 probably shouldn't be in China or Abu Dhabi either, but there's very little uproar about those.
    Word.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it should happen.
    As someone pointed it out previously in this thread, its usually at the beginning of the year for a reason.
    They've been taking too long with this decision.
    I totally agree with Mark Webber.

http://www.markwebber.com/on-the-tra...in-grand-prix/
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's only happened because Martin Whitmarsh is head of FOTA, and McClaren are part owned by the Bahrani Royal Family. Any other head of FOTA e.g. Domenicalli or Horner and they would have talked sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    It's only happened because Martin Whitmarsh is head of FOTA, and McClaren are part owned by the Bahrani Royal Family. Any other head of FOTA e.g. Domenicalli or Horner and they would have talked sense.
    FOTA weren't invited to the WMSC meeting they were asked for their opinions as part of the fact finding mission and like everything coming from the constructors they said, as has been repeated since then by Eric Boullier, they will race if their safety can be guaranteed.

The vote to reinstate it was taken by the World Motor Sport Council and received unanimous backing by all 26 members if anyone should have opposed it then it should have been the representatives there (obviously Berni and the Gulf States were always going to vote in favour though). Since they managed to convince the British, Italian, Indian and Russian Members, all of whom also represent F1 Teams, that it was fine to go ahead with it then there must have been something there that we don't know about.

This is not to say I agree with it though I think it will be a decision they grow to regret especially with the "day of rage" which has been organised to coincide with it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Safety is not going to be an issue, the issue will be with how the Barhain government makes sure safety is not an issue. I think it would be morally wrong for F1 to hold a race there unless they is some kind of action taken by the government that holds those who were involved in beatings, torture, and killings accountable.

I will staging my own mini protest by crossing it off my F1 calendar, not that I would be missing much. :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Apparently Domenicali voted in favour: http://planetf1.com/driver/18227/696...s-Bahrain-vote
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasp)
    Apparently Domenicali voted in favour: http://planetf1.com/driver/18227/696...s-Bahrain-vote
    I thought better of him tbh,
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Max Mosley condemns the decision and FOTA not happy about not being consulted/voted on the change yet to the calendar yet.

Formula 1 politics hotting up again!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/13689029.stm

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 10, 2011
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered motorsport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.