The Student Room Group

How to stop hotmail sending emails/viruses to my contacts?

Ive only just noticed hotmail keeps sending emails from my account to my contacts, i think its an virus and ive received a delivery from "post-master" saying "Status notification update- emails failed" or something like that. Ive changed my password. But im not sure how to stop it or what to do now? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Virus scan? My mum had this not sure how to get rid of it though
Reply 2
Hmmm ive got Norton and i checked its on email protection and says ive got no viruses :s-smilie: thanks thoughh :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah, happened to me. I was so sick of it I created a new account.

Hotmail sucks. I only use it to chat on MSN. Gmail is way better for standard e-mail.
Unfortunately, you can't in most cases because the problem's not with your account, it's just random internet spammers sending stuff using your email address (but not your actual account.)
I have this; it's very frustrating and short of changing your address there's not much you can do. I've recently deleted all my contacts to see if this stops the problem. I haven't heard from anyone else about it, but I'm definitely sending spam to my own email address...

Oh, and virus scans won't work because it's not coming from your computer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Smilie :)
Ive only just noticed hotmail keeps sending emails from my account to my contacts, i think its an virus and ive received a delivery from "post-master" saying "Status notification update- emails failed" or something like that. Ive changed my password. But im not sure how to stop it or what to do now? :s-smilie:

Kaspersky Pure protection.

That will kill the email virus buggers for good!
Change your password ?
Reply 7
Original post by Victor-PP
Yeah, happened to me. I was so sick of it I created a new account.

Hotmail sucks. I only use it to chat on MSN. Gmail is way better for standard e-mail.

Actually I opened a gmail account a while ago and soon started getting spam messages on my MSN account since I used my MSN email as my primary email address for gmail as well.

Apparently Google allows spammers to get a hold of your email information judging by what I read on other discussion forums. Gmail isn't good for standard email in my opinion.

Don't go on dodgy sites, then. :colone:
Reply 9
Original post by Rascacielos
Don't go on dodgy sites, then. :colone:

Well i only noticed it today, and the only sites i visit are like this, facebook and like asos haha, and im guesing its not from there :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by llama-beans
Unfortunately, you can't in most cases because the problem's not with your account, it's just random internet spammers sending stuff using your email address (but not your actual account.)
I have this; it's very frustrating and short of changing your address there's not much you can do. I've recently deleted all my contacts to see if this stops the problem. I haven't heard from anyone else about it, but I'm definitely sending spam to my own email address...

Oh, and virus scans won't work because it's not coming from your computer.

ohh i see, thank you! I think it only started happening today so i might see if anything else is sent. Otherwise delete my contacts!
Reply 11
Original post by Nextmove
Kaspersky Pure protection.

That will kill the email virus buggers for good!

Hmm this might sound stupid, because im rubbish with computers and everything LOL but where can i get Kaspersky Pure protection from? :smile:
Reply 12
If its from your account toothers it means someone has accesss to your account. Change your password. Also Norton is crap. Use Microsoft Security Essentials its free and a good antivirus program
Reply 13
Change your password. I had the exact same problem and that worked for me.
Reply 14
Thank you! Ive Changed my password and secuirty question. So hopefully that works! :smile:
Reply 15
Thank you! Ive Changed my password and secuirty question. So hopefully that works! :smile:

Should work. Do not sign in using your hotmail account to any unknown website. Could be a reason for the problem, also do not sign in using a link from any emails you get even if the website leads to one that looks like the hotmail one it could be fake.
Reply 16
Original post by 04ayasin
Should work. Do not sign in using your hotmail account to any unknown website. Could be a reason for the problem, also do not sign in using a link from any emails you get even if the website leads to one that looks like the hotmail one it could be fake.

Yeah thats the thing though, im really careful about that sort of stuff and i havnt been on any unknown website, and i only sign into my hotmail directly from hotmail.com, but ahh well things happen i guess! But thanks for all the help and advice :smile:
Well i only noticed it today, and the only sites i visit are like this, facebook and like asos haha, and im guesing its not from there :s-smilie:

I was joking. It's just a Hotmail thing; you were just unlucky.
Original post by Nextmove
Actually I opened a gmail account a while ago and soon started getting spam messages on my MSN account since I used my MSN email as my primary email address for gmail as well.

Apparently Google allows spammers to get a hold of your email information judging by what I read on other discussion forums. Gmail isn't good for standard email in my opinion.

Don't know what to say. I've had my Gmail for 2-3 years and don't have any complaint at all. In fact, I love it.
Reply 19
Original post by Rascacielos
I was joking. It's just a Hotmail thing; you were just unlucky.

LOL sorry like i said before im hopeless with anything to do with computers haha, but yeah i know fingers crossed it just goes away! thank you though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending