Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can I hear Russian radio through my speakers?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok right now all I have open is one tab on firefox, but even with nothing open, I can distinctly hear what sounds like a Russian radio broadcast coming through my external speakers. Stops when I unplug them from my laptop, and AVG scans aren't showing any viruses (I just did a scan). This has never happened before and it's slightly irritating as I don't have a clue what's causing it or how to stop it (other than by unplugging my speakers, don't suggest that, thanks). Can anyone help with this? Thanks!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've seen this happen on a few speakers before, they pick up radio signals. One of my mate's speakers used to pick up French radio :mmm:

It's know as radio frequency breakthrough interference. Read here for possible solutions.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your neighbour is a russian spy reporting your days movements to his paymasters, his transmitter is breaking through into your speaker cables.

dunno - does disabling the speaker in the OS help?

tried a reboot?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    On Radio Russia 89.9FM, radio hears you.

Once, my whole area was flooded with police, and I could hear their radio on my speakers. They even mentioned my address :lolwut:
    I got so freaked out, I even said 'Hello?' down my microphone.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine used to pick up french radio... was kinda nice because I'm doing A-Level French

Although at first it freaked me out as my speakers weren't even plugged in to the laptop.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I've seen this happen on a few speakers before, they pick up radio signals. One of my mate's speakers used to pick up French radio :mmm:

It's know as radio frequency breakthrough interference. Read here for possible solutions.
    Thanks for this, I guess I'll have to go for the ferrite rings because my speaker cables are pretty bunched up anyway. Just annoying having to but one when I've never had this problem before but ah well, I'd rather do that than listen to this crappy mix of techno and classical music anymore.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Crack open your speakers.

Check for Russians.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxecute)

Once, my whole area was flooded with police, and I could hear their radio on my speakers. They even mentioned my address :lolwut:
    :rofl: That's brilliant.

(Original post by Bobo1234)
    Thanks for this, I guess I'll have to go for the ferrite rings because my speaker cables are pretty bunched up anyway. Just annoying having to but one when I've never had this problem before but ah well, I'd rather do that than listen to this crappy mix of techno and classical music anymore.
    At least now you know, it's terrifying in the middle of the night if you hear some transmission when most things in your house are switched off.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

I thought it was incoherent mumbling from people outside because my room at uni is far from soundproof and I can usually hear people talking as they walk past my window even if it's closed, but then when I turned my music down the mumbling got louder and started to sound more russiany. But I didn't say ??????? down my microfone :p:

EDIT: I attempted to write Privet but TSR doesn't understand cyrillic text. Bad TSR.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was it reporting on any nuclear wessels? lol
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds extreme, but I'd be tempted to report it to the security services. I imagine foreign agencies would operate local stations assuming anybody accidentally picking it up wouldn't have a clue what it is.

Anyhow, even if not that, yo can report it to OfCom, as you shouldn't need to do anything if somebody else is causing interference. Holding an Amateur Radio licence means that you've agreed to take responsibility for this where possible.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

:rofl:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    :rofl: That's brilliant.

At least now you know, it's terrifying in the middle of the night if you hear some transmission when most things in your house are switched off.
    That's true, that would have scared the crap out of me! Thanks again for the help, time for bed methinks. I'll have a go finding the ring thingies on tuesday when everything's actually open again.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    BTW Did it sound like normal speech or reading off lists of numbers?

(several national intelligence services apparently still operate good old-fashioned Numbers Stations)

just thinking it's a long way from russia but you might be near an embassy or something if you're in london.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It does sound a bit like an RFI problem. Radio conditions have been improving. Moving things around may help if not ferite rings etc could help as well.

(Original post by DarkWhite)
    Anyhow, even if not that, yo can report it to OfCom, as you shouldn't need to do anything if somebody else is causing interference. Holding an Amateur Radio licence means that you've agreed to take responsibility for this where possible.
    That's not quite true. Any person with equipment that's transmitting outside of it's license conditions is responsible for getting it corrected. If the transmitter is working within the license conditions then a Radio Amateur doesn't have to do anything but they can choose to out of kindness (and if you talk to them before ofcom it could save you money)

I've heard a number of stories of Radio Amateurs submitting successful complaints to ofcom about Powerline adapters and Plasma TV's both of which have a bad name for trasmitting all over the radio bands. (The recent gigabit Homeplugs have been shown to braodcast all over the FM broadcast band)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    It does sound a bit like an RFI problem. Radio conditions have been improving. Moving things around may help if not ferite rings etc could help as well.

That's not quite true. Any person with equipment that's transmitting outside of it's license conditions is responsible for getting it corrected. If the transmitter is working within the license conditions then a Radio Amateur doesn't have to do anything but they can choose to out of kindness (and if you talk to them before ofcom it could save you money)

I've heard a number of stories of Radio Amateurs submitting successful complaints to ofcom about Powerline adapters and Plasma TV's both of which have a bad name for trasmitting all over the radio bands. (The recent gigabit Homeplugs have been shown to braodcast all over the FM broadcast band)
    That's my point though - it is part of the licence conditions. They clearly state that OfCom may ask you to modify or suspend use of your radio equipment if they are causing interference to other authorised equipment. You may have gone out and bought a very immune transmitter, have ferrite rings round all of your cabling, and have directed your communications well away from an individual's house, but if their plasma TV is picking up interference from your shack, OfCom can still make you sort it out.

I'm not saying they always will, but from cases I've seen in my local area, they've certainly done so, as ham users often have more control over such problems.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    That's my point though - it is part of the licence conditions. They clearly state that OfCom may ask you to modify or suspend use of your radio equipment if they are causing interference to other authorised equipment. You may have gone out and bought a very immune transmitter, have ferrite rings round all of your cabling, and have directed your communications well away from an individual's house, but if their plasma TV is picking up interference from your shack, OfCom can still make you sort it out.

I'm not saying they always will, but from cases I've seen in my local area, they've certainly done so, as ham users often have more control over such problems.
    Yes if the Radio amateur equipment is at fault they can ask the licensee to make changes. The same is true for the owner of any other device that radiates radio signals. If the fault is with the reciever then OfCom will just tell you you've got a cheap radio that's at fault and charge you for the privilege!

Your original post seemed to suggest OfCom would tell the station transmitting to stop regardless of what the problem really is which isnt true.

My point about Plasma TV's was that they interfer with other radios. i.e. the Plasma Tv is the offending piece of equipment at which point the person being affected (Radio Amateur, someone listening to AM radio, coast guard etc.) is quite at liberty to call out OfCom to investigate and if they find it's your TV at fault they could get you to replace it. The issue with Plasma TVs is usually the shielding around the device not containing the RF it generates internally.

Homeplugs have been another item in the news that cause interference. And there's plenty of very good evidence out there about how much they radiate signals when it's all supposed to be contained in the house wiring. (i.e. network connections between neighbouring houses and even between the house ringmain and a mains circuit powered via battery and inverter - no connection to the national grid). It seems that OfCom have proven that the devices distributed by BT break the law but havn't done anything about it: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/31/ofcom_plt/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They're coming!
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's probably short-wave radio interference caused by atmospheric conditions. It should go away on its own, but if it persists then contact Ofcom.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    BTW Did it sound like normal speech or reading off lists of numbers?

(several national intelligence services apparently still operate good old-fashioned Numbers Stations)

just thinking it's a long way from russia but you might be near an embassy or something if you're in london.
    You know about UVB76 then? And all the stink its caused in the past few years after decades of doing **** all?
    Gives me the chills man :cool:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2011
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.