The Student Room Group

I have a thing for girls who are well spoken/posh accents etc. Anyone else the same?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrbuster
I love girls who are well spoken and have that posh accent that goes along with it. Luckily enough, I went to visit a friend at his University down in Bristol and I think I must of been one of the few "common" people there lol. Anyway, my friend isn't posh but he has wealthy parents, therefore he gets the best of everything. He introduced me to a few of his friends, including a few females, and their accents were amazing. I loved how they spoke so softly and well mannered. It was so refreshing to hear, unlike the type of people you get in London and the south east of England.

what've you got against the south end of england? there are some rather affluent areas there, largely well spoken, more so than say, up north
Reply 81
As soon as I saw this, I though of Kate Middleton. I don't know any posh people personally so I'm not to sure what the appeal is. Is it because they pronounce their Ts in words like "better" or "butter" or "little"?
Reply 82
Original post by ShayCamp
As soon as I saw this, I though of Kate Middleton. I don't know any posh people personally so I'm not to sure what the appeal is. Is it because they pronounce their Ts in words like "better" or "butter" or "little"?

Maybe... but I think different people just go for different types of accent ...
Reply 83
Kate's accent is slightly irritating all the time I find - something about her voice being just a bit too brayishly Marlborough & Berkshire hunt. Haven't heard Pippa speaking so don't know if she trumps Kate on the voice front as well. Presumably very well spoken girls, as in RP posh, inspire thoughts of wealth and sophistication which are sexy qualities for men. I find posh men a turn-on too, especially Hugh Laurie and Hugh Grant.
Reply 84
Hugh Laurie? Not when he's playing House presumably... I think Kate sounds nice. Haven't heard Pippa either. Apparently she's been calling Harry a lot since the wedding...
Reply 85
Being a great actor able to play House with a slightly wierd transatlantic only further boosts his overwhelming sexiness. :-) I was of course talking about him in his British incarnation - not that he sounds particularly super-posh but there's an urbane Oxbridge languid southernness there that is very over-appealing.

Original post by Thomas2
Hugh Laurie? Not when he's playing House presumably... I think Kate sounds nice. Haven't heard Pippa either. Apparently she's been calling Harry a lot since the wedding...
Reply 86
I think House was one of his best roles.
Reply 87
I lurve chics with posh accents.
Reply 88
I personally have an Estuary accent, but I'm always being told that I sound "well-spoken". The weird thing is that I pronounce my Ts apart from when they're at the end of a word and that really annoys me.

I live in Buckinghamshire too and we're supposedly really posh, even though the town I'm in is full of chavs.

I quite like the sound of going out with a guy who has a posh accent, but I find Irish and Mancunian accents really attractive and I'd go for someone with one of those over a posh one.
I don't like really posh accents - they sound so supercilious and laboured.

However, I do have a thing for girls with accents that are halfway between RP and regional, especially Manc, Leeds and Geordie (where I live, lucky me :tongue:).
Anyone else the same?
I love posh accents! Or a welsh accent... :sexface:

Everyone says I sound like Hermione, from Harry Potter, which is slightly annoying because she sounds pretentious, however being compared to Emma Watson I don't mind. :mmm:
Reply 91
Posh accents drive me mad! (in a bad way) they sound so 'put on' its ridiculous. Some girls can pull it off but most just sound like they're trying too hard.

Northern girls ftw!
RP or 'posh' accents sound so bland and unappealing to me. They come off as sterile and without character. Some of them are even grating when they have that particular twang to them. I associate many of them with arrogance. They've been enforced in some cases whereas regional accents are earthy and feel steeped in history. They're naturally melodious, wonderful to listen to. I want to hear your voice- your particular inflections and rhythms, the voice that absorbed the place where you were raised, the one that's carrying the remnants of ancient languages- not the one the BBC taught you and that is parroted by so many.
Reply 93
Original post by ZizziHikaru
RP or 'posh' accents sound so bland and unappealing to me. They come off as sterile and without character. Some of them are even grating when they have that particular twang to them. I associate many of them with arrogance. They've been enforced in some cases whereas regional accents are earthy and feel steeped in history. They're naturally melodious, wonderful to listen to. I want to hear your voice- your particular inflections and rhythms, the voice that absorbed the place where you were raised, the one that's carrying the remnants of ancient languages- not the one the BBC taught you and that is parroted by so many.

A few problems there...
RP hasn't been used by every last person at the bbc for quite a long time and a lot of tsr users are too young to remember it that way.
Also there's a huge difference to bbc rp in say the 50s and how the "non-regional" accents sounded more recently when you might not of heard many geordies but news readers didn't exactly sound like the queen.

How "posh" does an accent have to be before you call it rp and what if its not coached but natural?

I've been called posh (a few times not many)but i'd just say I have a pretty standard southern accent. And I certainly don't sound royal/toff. But the most memorable time was when I had to explain to some dutch people that a boy's name wasn't arree but harry he just couldn't pronounce it...he just couldn't say it with the H.

Remnants of ancient: errm well the english language itself carries a fair few remnants. Also what about accents that aren't coached but don't get labeled as "regional"?

Voice that absorbed my area: Well my voice is how most people where i'm from speak naturally. Some speak "posher" and some kind of standard southern chavy.
I'm not 100% sure if I fall in your definition of rp but I doubt you count my voice as regional despite people around here sounding like this without coaching.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i
(edited 11 years ago)
no they sound reatrded
Is that so? :sexface: Excellent. I used to get called posh a lot, but I don't really get teased for it much these days. I love my accent though. My friend (who thinks everything about me is posh and mocks me for being a 'posh Tory bird' despite the fact I've never voted Tory :rolleyes:) thinks I sound like a cross between Verruca Salt and Hermione Granger. Generally people say I sound like Hermione. :lol: I live in Aberdeenshire though, so it stands out a little bit. No doubt I'll go to uni and have everyone ask me about deep fried Mars Bars. I must have picked up a slight Scottish lilt, I've lived here for years.

On the subject of sexy posh voices, Tom Hiddleston...:coma: Oh, there's a whole list of well-spoken men I would happily listen to all day, but I won't bore you with the details.
Reply 96
Original post by Mrbuster
It was so refreshing to hear, unlike the type of people you get in London and the south east of England.

Unfair statement, I'm from South East London and have somehow ended up with a posh accent!
Reply 97
Im told I sound like Hugh Grant.

Plus, Emma Watson = Great.
I love it when a girl can speak proper English and has a really nice posh accent, not the british chav's accent.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 99
I have a typical south-east accent and I've also been compared to Emma Watson. I think accents round here are well spoken without sounding pretentious and too formal. Personally, I don't like Kate Middleton's RP accent - she sounds 'posher' than Prince William haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending