The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yaymeg
I'm applying in 2012... really excited even if the fees are a bit of a downer...
I'm predicted AAAa at A level at the mo, but hoping psych and maths will be bumped up to A* predictions.

Thinking of applying to Bath, York, Warwick/Cardiff, Birmingham and Manchester

Nice choices, Bath is a 4 year with placement which might be something to consider.
For 2012 I'll probably be applying for UCL, Bath, RHUL, Oxford (Philosophy & Psychology), and maybe Bristol. xD
No offence, but you guys paying £9k a year for a psych degree are making a huge mistake. I paid £3k and I don't think it was worth the money.
Hi! I'll also be hopefully applying for Psychology course next year, my uni choices would probably be UCL, Edinburgh, Glasgow, St. Andrews, Aberdeen. I'm trying to avoid the crazy tuition fees, although I would probably die at St. Andrews, since I prefer bigger cities. I'm hoping to get 39-39 in IB including bonus points.

Original post by GodspeedGehenna
No offence, but you guys paying £9k a year for a psych degree are making a huge mistake. I paid £3k and I don't think it was worth the money.

Hey, maybe you could tell us a bit more? Why did you decide to study psychology in the first place?
Original post by Kyle Butler

Hey, maybe you could tell us a bit more? Why did you decide to study psychology in the first place?

I studied it in the first place as, like most psych students, I wanted to go into clinical psych. Rapidly changed my mind in my first year and realised that it was a mistake.
Reply 25
Hi! I'll also be hopefully applying for Psychology course next year, my uni choices would probably be UCL, Edinburgh, Glasgow, St. Andrews, Aberdeen. I'm trying to avoid the crazy tuition fees, although I would probably die at St. Andrews, since I prefer bigger cities. I'm hoping to get 39-39 in IB including bonus points.

Have you had a look round St andrews? I was going to apply just for the prestige, but when i went there it really brought home how it just wasn't for me...

P.S. your new to the psych forums obviously... GodspeedGeheneh is the resident psychology sceptic. But to be honest i don't know why he applied in the first place for psych if he thinks its such a bad degree.
Original post by Jacke02

P.S. your new to the psych forums obviously... GodspeedGeheneh is the resident psychology sceptic. But to be honest i don't know why he applied in the first place for psych if he thinks its such a bad degree.

Because I didn't know how good/bad it was without studying it in the first place.

Inb4 'should have done research'. I did. Ironically it was the skills that I developed in the degree that made me come to the conclusion that most of it is trash. Employment wise, it's not worth £3k a year let alone £9k a year, especially when it is at a god awful university.
Reply 27
Because I didn't know how good/bad it was without studying it in the first place.

Inb4 'should have done research'. I did. Ironically it was the skills that I developed in the degree that made me come to the conclusion that most of it is trash. Employment wise, it's not worth £3k a year let alone £9k a year, especially when it is at a god awful university.

In your opinion, does RHUL constitute as a 'god awful uni'?
Original post by Noodlzzz
In your opinion, does RHUL constitute as a 'god awful uni'?

In terms of departments, it's one of the best in the UK. Certainly not the best.
Reply 29

How is most of the research trash? And have you just not enjoyed your degree, or do you not like it because you think the amployment prospects are bleak afterwards? I definitely don't want to become a clinical psychologist... so im not too bothered about that being hard to get to.
Original post by Jacke02
How is most of the research trash? And have you just not enjoyed your degree, or do you not like it because you think the amployment prospects are bleak afterwards? I definitely don't want to become a clinical psychologist... so im not too bothered about that being hard to get to.

Anything outside of clinical/bio/cognitive is complete trash because it is nothing but uninformative, contradictory redescriptions. There are no paradigm shifts, just dead-ends. The equivalent of a paradigm shift in these areas essentially equates to a stagnating of interest until an alternative jazzier, newer redescription arrives, which ultimately progresses the field no further and is essentially really banal ideas dressed up with the latest lingo.

Career prospects are bleak. The single biggest sector of employment for psych grads is retail, catering and admin. For those who do want to go into psych, I can recall countless numbers of graduates who are still applying for 'psychology jobs' from aberdeen to cornwall with absolutely nada success.

Additionally, I hear rumours of trainee clin psychs losing their salaries during the doctorate due to poor funding. It's a bleak future.

And yes, I've pretty much hated every moment of the last three years. Utter waste of time.
Reply 31
Anything outside of clinical/bio/cognitive is complete trash because it is nothing but uninformative, contradictory redescriptions. There are no paradigm shifts, just dead-ends. The equivalent of a paradigm shift in these areas essentially equates to a stagnating of interest until an alternative jazzier, newer redescription arrives, which ultimately progresses the field no further and is essentially really banal ideas dressed up with the latest lingo.

Career prospects are bleak. The single biggest sector of employment for psych grads is retail, catering and admin. For those who do want to go into psych, I can recall countless numbers of graduates who are still applying for 'psychology jobs' from aberdeen to cornwall with absolutely nada success.

Additionally, I hear rumours of trainee clin psychs losing their salaries during the doctorate due to poor funding. It's a bleak future.

And yes, I've pretty much hated every moment of the last three years. Utter waste of time.

Well if you've hated studying it then its probably given you an overly critical outlook on the subject... and really? Im mostly interested in the bioloigical and cognitive areas, but what areas should i try to avoid?
Original post by Jacke02
Well if you've hated studying it then its probably given you an overly critical outlook on the subject... and really? Im mostly interested in the bioloigical and cognitive areas, but what areas should i try to avoid?

Other way around, bro. Critical outlook made me hate studying it.

Areas to avoid? All but bio/cog/clin. Unfortunately the BPS makes you sit through **** like "the I self, the me self", toddlers looking at puppets and humanistic 'self actualization' *******s.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Other way around, bro. Critical outlook made me hate studying it.

Areas to avoid? All but bio/cog/clin. Unfortunately the BPS makes you sit through **** like "the I self, the me self".

Hmm so your saying that areas like developmental psychology and social psychology are bogus? Looking at the course structure for my insurance, it looks all pretty legit from what ive read:
http://www.york.ac.uk/psychology/prospective/undergraduate/course/

None of that Freud/Humanstic approach/Social learning theory/behaviourism nonsense from A Level. Don't know what to expect...
Original post by Jacke02
Hmm so your saying that areas like developmental psychology and social psychology are bogus? Looking at the course structure for my insurance, it looks all pretty legit from what ive read:
http://www.york.ac.uk/psychology/prospective/undergraduate/course/

And what have you read?
Reply 35
And what have you read?

Well ive gone through some social psych lectures online by UC berkelely and read up on social influence and social cognition half for a level. I've read in detail the Kruger and Dunning paper 'unskilled and unaware of it'. Obviously i don't know as much as you, which is why im asking you what is wrong about the research....
Original post by Jacke02
Have you had a look round St andrews? I was going to apply just for the prestige, but when i went there it really brought home how it just wasn't for me...

I'm not from UK so I wasn't ale to visit any of the universities but yeah I'm almost positive I wouldn't like St. Andrews, but it's probably worth saving the 27k that I would pay at an English university. I was also thinking about applying to Cardiff (since the tuition fees have to be the same for the EU students as locals, I would probably only pay the standard 3k), and it seems like a really nice uni and city, but their IB requirements seem a bit too high.
Reply 37
I'm not from UK so I wasn't ale to visit any of the universities but yeah I'm almost positive I wouldn't like St. Andrews, but it's probably worth saving the 27k that I would pay at an English university. I was also thinking about applying to Cardiff (since the tuition fees have to be the same for the EU students as locals, I would probably only pay the standard 3k), and it seems like a really nice uni and city, but their IB requirements seem a bit too high.

Check out http://unionview.co.uk/ ---since you can't visit any of the places, this site may be pretty usefull for giving you a feel of the places.
Reply 38
Original post by Jacke02
Well ive gone through some social psych lectures online by UC berkelely and read up on social influence and social cognition half for a level. I've read in detail the Kruger and Dunning paper 'unskilled and unaware of it'. Obviously i don't know as much as you, which is why im asking you what is wrong about the research....

As that the Robb Willer lectures? <3
Reply 39
Original post by Noodlzzz
As that the Robb Willer lectures? <3

Yes! I'd recommend them to anybody on here... although they don't put them in the right format for Ipods so I can't really get through many of them compared to other lecture series online.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest