The Student Room Group

Eton College Universities Summer School, anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
A totally and utterly awesome experience!
Reply 441
was it hard to get onto the course? i'd love to go!
Reply 442
Original post by RAAAACHIE

Original post by RAAAACHIE
was it hard to get onto the course? i'd love to go!

I didn't find it hard. Then again, all I had to do was fill out some forms etc. My school were really great about the whole thing so I was pretty lucky.

If you get the opportunity, go for it cause it was amazing!
Reply 443
I'm applying for the Politics and Economics course at the Eton Summer School, but I've got no idea what I should write for the "account of a 100 words outlining why he/she would like to come on the Summer School course, with a brief comment on his/her hobbies and interests." Any ideas/advice? I don't know what I should write, it's only a 100 words!
hey i went on eton summer school last year and it was a awesome expeirience (excuse my spelling :tongue:) and you will be stretched very much

just write about how you're an academic person, your hobbies, interest, why this course will benefit you, what you hope to get out of it, why are you interested in your chosen course, build up new skille.g team work skills.

theres a lot of team work involved... the key thing is to listen... i mean it
Reply 445
Original post by The Polar Dude
hey i went on eton summer school last year and it was a awesome expeirience (excuse my spelling :tongue:) and you will be stretched very much

just write about how you're an academic person, your hobbies, interest, why this course will benefit you, what you hope to get out of it, why are you interested in your chosen course, build up new skille.g team work skills.

theres a lot of team work involved... the key thing is to listen... i mean it

THANK YOU for replying, life saver! With hobbies and interests, do they have to be relevant to the course? For example, can I say I play and instrument and have a job, or do I need relevant stuff?
Original post by oreo1234
THANK YOU for replying, life saver! With hobbies and interests, do they have to be relevant to the course? For example, can I say I play and instrument and have a job, or do I need relevant stuff?

well for my letter of application, i didnt have a word limit... phew coz i wrote so much :tongue: but since you have a word limit of 100, i guess you would be better off writing stuff which is relavant. make every word count but if you can play an instrument, perhaps you can twist it around and say how its beneficial in terms of.....(anything you wanna say here)

its an awesome experience and a great way to meet new people your age. theres a university eton summer school for yr 12's but its like couple of hundreds of quid so i dont think ill be goin:s-smilie:
I'm applying for the Politics and Economics course at the Eton Summer School, but I've got no idea what I should write for the "account of a 100 words outlining why he/she would like to come on the Summer School course, with a brief comment on his/her hobbies and interests." Any ideas/advice? I don't know what I should write, it's only a 100 words!

Which one is this? what year are you?
Reply 448
Original post by damidude
Which one is this? what year are you?

It's the one for Year 12s this summer.
100 words? It's insane to expect anyone to give a reasonable account of themselves in such a small space.

What I have just written is twenty words (not including this line).
It's the one for Year 12s this summer.

Good luck
:goodluck:
Reply 451
Original post by j.alexanderh
100 words? It's insane to expect anyone to give a reasonable account of themselves in such a small space.

What I have just written is twenty words (not including this line).

I know! Ah this is difficult.
Is the summer school just for boys? Can state school kids apply?
Reply 453
Original post by nerimon18
Is the summer school just for boys? Can state school kids apply?

Nope, it's for any non-independent student in Year 12.
Reply 454
Original post by damidude
Good luck
:goodluck:

Thank you! I'm definitely going to need it :redface:
Hi, I was wondering if there was anyone who has been to the eton summer school and what they thought about it. Also, what grades did you get at GCSE, because I got 9 A*, 3 A and 1 C(although this was in drama, so i dont think theyll care that i cant act) and I dont know if thats good enough, because im sure there'll be plenty of people applying who got all A*.

Im also looking at the application form, and I'm a bit confused. It says if you want to do course B,C,D or E then you need to fill in a seperate work record for each subject. Does that mean, for example, that if I want to do course C (maths and chemistry) that I need to complete one record form for maths, and then another for chemistry. And how would you write which subject the record form is for on the sheet (it just gives a box for summer school subject, which would be maths and chem, but that doesnt say which subject the form is for)?

Lastly, can you apply for more than one course, say if you dont get in one course then you might get into another course?

Sorry if that all sounded complicated, hopefully you know what I mean :smile:
I was going to go last year because I had an awesome time at the summer school in year 11 but the price put me off

It should be good though.

didnt really answer any of my questions but cheers anyway :smile:

I also want to confirm that on the application when it says 'summer school subject' and then in the next box is 'code' that the code is the letter that refers to the course?
I applied to that and they rejected me :dry:

Don't worry about 'are my GCSEs good enough' or whatever - its not like you have anything to lose by applying.
Hi :smile:

I'm just curious to know if anyone else is applying :smile:

Quick Reply