The Student Room Group

Eton College Universities Summer School, anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by communiKate
I went to the Eton Summer School last year and it was really great! I stayed in Common Lane and did English. The teachers are lovely :smile:

Oooooh, tell me everything :grin:

Original post by bishop2
I've been accepted this year for Geography, should be staying in Common Lane too! got no one else going that i know, so it'll be good to meet you all:smile: looking forward to it and good luck for all your summer exams:smile:

Original post by ZoeMaloey
Oh, totally getting a hoodie! The year 13s from my school who went last year wear them ALL the time, haha. They look pretty cool tbh and well... I want one :P

Original post by bishop2
Ah that's so so good, well done! yeah i was the only one from my school to get in so i'm so happy:smile:
yeah i don't know about hoodies or anything, are you thinking of ordering something? x

Original post by EsmeA
I found out last week- my dad drove to school to give me the letter because I told him he couldn't open it until I got home! :smile:

I got a place for history - I didn't actually think I'd get it!

I'm staying in common lane house too, so excited, I think one other person from my school got in? Only a couple applied though, because no one actually thought they would get in. :smile:

You guys getting hoodies, or is that a little too far? :wink:

Nice to meet you all :smile: Great to see some Arts students at last!
I do want a hoodie but I'm not too sure. Might just go for it :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
I got in! I didnt know what the letter was for but then I opened it and saw the eton summer school. I was so happy. I'm really excited about it. I got in for maths with chemistry. I'll also be staying in common lane house too! :biggrin:

I'm the first and only person from my school to apply. I go to quite a new sixth form, I'm in the second year that the school has been open. So our head of sixth is really trying to get people into good unis and stuff like that. So i wont know anyone there... it'll be a bit scary, but im sure you're all lovely :biggrin:

I do want a hoodie, but I don't know if its better to get a polo shirt... but then this is england, so its not as if its going to be hot. It also depends on whether my parents will pay for it, which I doubt after paying for the summer school. It'll have to depend on how much money I have left when I get back from my holiday next week :biggrin:

Oh, I'm so excited now!
Original post by InvisibleInk
I got in! I didnt know what the letter was for but then I opened it and saw the eton summer school. I was so happy. I'm really excited about it. I got in for maths with chemistry. I'll also be staying in common lane house too! :biggrin:

*waves* Hello! Same house, same course. I am actually ridiculously excited about this now, I don't even know why! It's just going to be so good.

To be honest, even thought my sixth form seems to be one of those places who sends people on this every year I know very very little about it. So I think everyone's gonna be in the same boat whether they're the first person to go from their school or not.
Ok, well at first it seemed pretty full on but you soon get used to the pace of it. The days are full but we had plenty of breaks- the biscuits at Bekynton are amazing. It's just great fun really, what made it for me were the people I met on my course, some of whom I'm still close to and meet up with. The accommodation is pretty basic and not geared towards females (obviously!) but it's great fun and I'd imagine similar to living in Uni halls. The English teachers are legendary! Some are pretty eccentric (Marco in particular!). In fact tell Marco, Kate says hi! They are extremely knowledgeable but don't let that intimidate you, they are really friendly. One of them casually mentioned that he's friends with Ian Mckellen! The whole point of it I suppose is to support you in Oxbridge application and for me it was a real help. In our class I know of four students who got in to Oxford (there may have been more and many didn't apply), I sadly didn't but I made it to interview and the summer school helped me do it. My comp school offered minimal support.
Whatever you end up doing, ECUSS will be a fantastic experience so enjoy it!
Hi everyone! I also have a place at Common Lane House studying English Lit; nice to meet you all!

I'm so excited about this - it sounds fantastic! Anyone else really looking forward to the 'Speeches' section on the penultimate evening? Maybe I'm just a bit of a history nut but I'd have loved to wear the 18th century garb! :biggrin:

By the way, my twin sister also has a place at Penn House (also studying Literature).
My year it was cancelled :colonhash:
Reply 486
Lol it seems like nearly everyone on this thread is Common Lane! :smile:

Yeah I think the speeches will be really fun... I definitely wouldn't do anything on my own for it (though I would possibly consider a group thing) Anyway I'd admire anyone who had the guts to do anything solo! I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with :smile: I think it would actually be hilarious if they had to wear 18th Century clothes, but sadly, I don't think many people would just have some lying around XD
Reply 487
Just putting it out there, I've been super eager and ordered a polo shirt and a hoodie - don't worry, I won't wear them both at the same time :wink:

I'm really looking forward to it, as daunting as it sounds I suppose everyone will be feeling the same way!
From my school, four of us got in- which is pretty rare- two for double maths, one for english and then me for history. Should be good!

So are you guys looking to apply to oxbridge then? (Stupid question really)!
Original post by communiKate
Ok, well at first it seemed pretty full on but you soon get used to the pace of it. The days are full but we had plenty of breaks- the biscuits at Bekynton are amazing. It's just great fun really, what made it for me were the people I met on my course, some of whom I'm still close to and meet up with. The accommodation is pretty basic and not geared towards females (obviously!) but it's great fun and I'd imagine similar to living in Uni halls. The English teachers are legendary! Some are pretty eccentric (Marco in particular!). In fact tell Marco, Kate says hi! They are extremely knowledgeable but don't let that intimidate you, they are really friendly. One of them casually mentioned that he's friends with Ian Mckellen! The whole point of it I suppose is to support you in Oxbridge application and for me it was a real help. In our class I know of four students who got in to Oxford (there may have been more and many didn't apply), I sadly didn't but I made it to interview and the summer school helped me do it. My comp school offered minimal support.
Whatever you end up doing, ECUSS will be a fantastic experience so enjoy it!

That sounds awesome!! I'll be doing English and will be sure to tell him :wink: A couple of questions, if that's okay?
How many essays do you have to write in the time? And how long do you get to do them? Also, do you know if it's okay to bring laptops? (I can't help feeling it would make it easier to do work).
Also, did you get given a reading list beforehand? If so, when?

Sorry, that was more than a couple :redface:

Original post by IndigoOlympia
Hi everyone! I also have a place at Common Lane House studying English Lit; nice to meet you all!

I'm so excited about this - it sounds fantastic! Anyone else really looking forward to the 'Speeches' section on the penultimate evening? Maybe I'm just a bit of a history nut but I'd have loved to wear the 18th century garb! :biggrin:

By the way, my twin sister also has a place at Penn House (also studying Literature).

Snap! :hi: I'm a little scared about Speeches tbh!
Original post by EsmeA
Just putting it out there, I've been super eager and ordered a polo shirt and a hoodie - don't worry, I won't wear them both at the same time :wink:

I'm really looking forward to it, as daunting as it sounds I suppose everyone will be feeling the same way!
From my school, four of us got in- which is pretty rare- two for double maths, one for english and then me for history. Should be good!

So are you guys looking to apply to oxbridge then? (Stupid question really)!

I ordered a blue hoodie :colondollar: Wow, that's a lot of people going! Hoping to apply to Oxford, yep. You?

Original post by paddy__power
My year it was cancelled :colonhash:

I remember that!
Also, this is completely off-topic, but how come your political compass is so right wing and you used to lead the Labour Party? :eek:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kalliope
I ordered a blue hoodie :colondollar: Wow, that's a lot of people going! Hoping to apply to Oxford, yep. You?

I remember that!
Also, this is completely off-topic, but how come your political compass is so right wing and you used to lead the Labour Party? :eek:

It isn't?
It isn't?

But there was a thread when you gave it in the top right hand corner? Gosh, why am I so gullible?!
But there was a thread when you gave it in the top right hand corner? Gosh, why am I so gullible?!

That was just me trolling :tongue:
Reply 493

Oh good, I got a grey hoodie (: yeah, I'm thinking Oxford too. What subject?
That was just me trolling :tongue:

Bad troll :mob:
:tongue:

Original post by EsmeA
Oh good, I got a grey hoodie (: yeah, I'm thinking Oxford too. What subject?

English :smile: You?
Reply 495
English :smile: You?

History for me. I'm really looking forward to it!

Although I expect for both History and English there's some form of preliminary reading- I haven't received anything yet, so I wonder when we get that. :smile:
Reply 496
Out of curiosity, has anyone here applied to any other summer schools? Like Oxford uniq or one of the Sutton trust ones?
Reply 497
Original post by helangio
Out of curiosity, has anyone here applied to any other summer schools? Like Oxford uniq or one of the Sutton trust ones?

I applied to the Sutton Trust one, but I never heard anything back, and I didn't bother applying for the uniq one, because I got the feeling it was largely for students whose parents didn't go to uni, and those who attend schools with no history of people getting into Oxbridge - I do not fall under either of those headings. I'm aware Sutton trust concentrated on the same criteria, but I decided that I might as well apply to that one too. I'm just ecstatic that I got a place at Eton :biggrin:

What about you?
Reply 498
Original post by EsmeA
I applied to the Sutton Trust one, but I never heard anything back, and I didn't bother applying for the uniq one, because I got the feeling it was largely for students whose parents didn't go to uni, and those who attend schools with no history of people getting into Oxbridge - I do not fall under either of those headings. I'm aware Sutton trust concentrated on the same criteria, but I decided that I might as well apply to that one too. I'm just ecstatic that I got a place at Eton :biggrin:

What about you?

Yeah same here :smile: I applied to the Sutton Trust one in Cambridge
but I haven't heard back either :s-smilie: Which uni is hosting the one you applied to? I kinda thought uniq wouldn't have accepted me for similar reasons, and also I'm not really that interested in Oxford as a uni, so I didn't apply. I honestly didn't expect to get into either of the ones I applied to so I'm really happy that I got Eton XD Also I would never have had an excuse to go see Eton otherwise, so i think it'll be a great experience!
Reply 499
Original post by helangio
Yeah same here :smile: I applied to the Sutton Trust one in Cambridge
but I haven't heard back either :s-smilie: Which uni is hosting the one you applied to? I kinda thought uniq wouldn't have accepted me for similar reasons, and also I'm not really that interested in Oxford as a uni, so I didn't apply. I honestly didn't expect to get into either of the ones I applied to so I'm really happy that I got Eton XD Also I would never have had an excuse to go see Eton otherwise, so i think it'll be a great experience!

I think I applied to the one in Cambridge too - I haven't heard anything back either. What subject are you thinking of doing? :smile:
Oxford is my first choice though, but the uniq summer school really doesn't seem like something for me - for precisely the reasons to do with the entrance criteria. It's going to be so good, I can tell! Have you ordered a hoodie or polo? :wink:
Also, which house are you staying in? I wish they had a school like Eton for girls - though, on saying that, not sure how I'd handle an all girl school. Perhaps I'll stick to my mixed state-comp for the time being! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest