The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Music opportunities!

So I play the violin, just wondering what sort of orchestras are available, and if there is any tuition, or places to practice, as i wouldn't feel too comfortable playing in my room in halls haha! What do other people do?
I'd love to just carry on playing! At other unis there were tuition scholarshpis availble, but I've not seen anything for Leeds, anyone know anything?
I should mention that I won't actually be doing a degree in music.
Thanks! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Supernova - some of the halls at Leeds have practice rooms, ( Devonshire + one other? Can't remember) so you could start there - also the music dept has loads of bookable rooms - they will be full at certain times, but not always! I play the violin too, so you will hear me scraping away as well - if I get the (Biology - yes - this is the one that's the problem!) grades!
Also as far as I am aware, there are groups/orchs that you can/ don't need to audition for and some of them will be more serious than others, so go for it! See you in September.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Molltroll
Hi Supernova - some of the halls at Leeds have practice rooms, ( Devonshire + one other? Can't remember) so you could start there - also the music dept has loads of bookable rooms - they will be full at certain times, but not always! I play the violin too, so you will hear me scraping away as well - if I get the (Biology - yes - this is the one that's the problem!) grades!
Also as far as I am aware, there are groups/orchs that you can/ don't need to audition for and some of them will be more serious than others, so go for it! See you in September.

Hiya, guess what my problem subject is too... haha
Yeah, I did notice on the website, on one of the accommodation sites, it said that there were music practice rooms, but I was hoping there would be at others too or somewhere else to play etc.
Ahh sounds good! I would definitely try and audition... i love playing in orchestras as opposed to on my own/solo (I'm wierd like that :colondollar: )
Thanks! What course are you doing? :smile:
Reply 3
The BMus - I went for Midwifery and changed my mind.....so went onto extra and got their last audition day - they've accepted me on that - I know it's the right choice, but gives me no insurance, so have GOT to get the grades!
Reply 4
Original post by Molltroll
The BMus - I went for Midwifery and changed my mind.....so went onto extra and got their last audition day - they've accepted me on that - I know it's the right choice, but gives me no insurance, so have GOT to get the grades!

Ah okay, well done! Yeah bit of pressure... but pressure is good, makes you work harder, if i knew I had no insurance i think i would be working much harder (eg 24/7 lol). Good luck with it all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest