The Student Room Group

Ideas In Context 2011 Additional Science

http://www.myphysics.org.uk/ks4ideasincontext2011.htm

This page has questions to download to help you to prepare for the Ideas in Context 2011 Additional Science exam. This is for the Physics section only.
I wrote the questions.
Hope you find them helpful.
Thanks a lot - the questions look very helpful.
Reply 2
Those questions are a great help, thanks so much for writing them. Hopefully we can all get A*s now because of you :smile: lol
Original post by allydavies
http://www.myphysics.org.uk/ks4ideasincontext2011.htm

This page has questions to download to help you to prepare for the Ideas in Context 2011 Additional Science exam. This is for the Physics section only.
I wrote the questions.
Hope you find them helpful.

hi would u be able to answer these question for me please.
1. Calculate the GPE of the rocket at 20s
2. Why will the GPE practice be less than the answer to question 1?
3. Calculate the maximum speed of the rocket
4. If the rocket burns 10N of fuel per second, estimate the mass of the rocket without fuel.
5. Explain why the air resistance changes at 6s
6. Calculate the acceleration of the rocket
7. Calculate the kinetic energy of the rocket at 10s assuming the weight of the rocket to be 90N
8. Why is the assumption maded in question 7 incorrect? How will this change the kinetic energy?
9. Calculate the work done by the rocket at 10s
10. Calculate the rocket at 5s.
11. Explain the energy changes taking place at:
T = 0s, T = 2s, T = 6s, T = 10s, T = 27.5s
12. Explain what you think will happen to the motion of the rocket in the next half of it's journey?
13. Explain how the thrust of the rocket engine produces forward motion
14. Draw a labelled force diagram of the rocket at:
T = 0s, T = 5s, T = 10s
15. Calculate the momentum of the rocket at 10s
16. Why will the actual momentum be lost?
17. Estimate the total time of flight of the rocket assuming the parachute didn't open
18. Draw a height time graph for the rest of the rockets journey.
19. If the parachute had opened how would this change the rockets time of flight?
20. Calculate the speed of the rocket would hit the ground if the parachute had failed.
21. A new rocket was used for a second experiment, it used the same engine and fuel as the previous experiment but had less mass. How would this change the maximum height of the flight?

This is for the additional science ideas in context exam on 7 june.... i really need help
Reply 4
can someone pleas post the answers to these questions ^ it would be a massive help. Thanks :biggrin:
Well, the questions were pretty hard.
1. 1. GPE: H x W-?3450 x 90=310500 joules
2. Losing weight because you’re loosing fuel, this contributes to the weight.
3. S=D/T-?3700/27.5=134.55
4. 3kg
5. Fuel has run out, so it’s slowing down hence colliding with fewer air particles.
6. Acceleration=Change in Velocity/ time taken for change... 134.55/27.5 so the acceleration is 4.89
7. KE=1/2 x 9 x 20 x 20. The kinetic energy at 10 seconds is 1800 joules.
8. As the fuel would have been used up and the mass would have differed, which would lead to a smaller acceleration.
9. Work done: force x distance moved by force so....there is no work done by the rocket at 10s, so 0 joules
10. Work done: force x distance moved by force so.....1000 x 500=500000joules.
11. The rocket releases fuels and exhaust gases, these act downwards, there is a reaction force, the thrust, which is cause which is bigger and cause the rocket to move in an upward direction.
I doubt these are right, couldn't be bothered to complete the other questions
Good luck
Original post by aspire4gr8ness
Well, the questions were pretty hard.
1. 1. GPE: H x W-?3450 x 90=310500 joules
2. Losing weight because you’re loosing fuel, this contributes to the weight.
3. S=D/T-?3700/27.5=134.55
4. 3kg
5. Fuel has run out, so it’s slowing down hence colliding with fewer air particles.
6. Acceleration=Change in Velocity/ time taken for change... 134.55/27.5 so the acceleration is 4.89
7. KE=1/2 x 9 x 20 x 20. The kinetic energy at 10 seconds is 1800 joules.
8. As the fuel would have been used up and the mass would have differed, which would lead to a smaller acceleration.
9. Work done: force x distance moved by force so....there is no work done by the rocket at 10s, so 0 joules
10. Work done: force x distance moved by force so.....1000 x 500=500000joules.
11. The rocket releases fuels and exhaust gases, these act downwards, there is a reaction force, the thrust, which is cause which is bigger and cause the rocket to move in an upward direction.
I doubt these are right, couldn't be bothered to complete the other questions
Good luck

thankk u soo much. it dont matter that u couldnt be bothered at least u did 11 which i struggled with.....
thanks
priya
12. Explain what you think will happen to the motion of the rocket in the next half of it's journey?
13. Explain how the thrust of the rocket engine produces forward motion
14. Draw a labelled force diagram of the rocket at:
T = 0s, T = 5s, T = 10s
15. Calculate the momentum of the rocket at 10s
16. Why will the actual momentum be lost?
17. Estimate the total time of flight of the rocket assuming the parachute didn't open
18. Draw a height time graph for the rest of the rockets journey.
19. If the parachute had opened how would this change the rockets time of flight?
20. Calculate the speed of the rocket would hit the ground if the parachute had failed.
21. A new rocket was used for a second experiment, it used the same engine and fuel as the

can anyone answer these for me now.
Reply 8
answers for the second half would be great and could someone explain some of the first set of questions please (e.g. 4) :smile:
Original post by Shaniicee
answers for the second half would be great and could someone explain some of the first set of questions please (e.g. 4) :smile:

same. i been trying to work out how they got the answers. but i failed so. could someone explain in the last 24 hours before thee exams
Reply 10
How did you find the exam ?
I did badly so disappointed, in myself hopefully i can redeem myself in the other exam ! :'(
Original post by maverick01
How did you find the exam ?
I did badly so disappointed, in myself hopefully i can redeem myself in the other exam ! :'(

Personally, I found the exam much easier than I expected, especially when I found out how difficult the Ideas in Context past papers were! I predict that I got an A* in this exam as I only found two physics (always physics -_-) questions difficult so I probably lost 7 marks overall (5 marks for those two questions and 2 extra marks for other questions that I may not have explained my answers well enough.) So I should get 33 out of 40. Seeing as in Ideas in Context the grade boundaries are usually really low so judging by that about 29 out of 40 is an A* this time, so I should have aced the test. :smile: I'm sure you didn't find it that difficult. You just needed to revise the topics (P4, B6, C5 and C6) and the booklet well to complete the exam with ease. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending