The Student Room Group

Hi, I got caught using a child ticket on london underground!?

It was such a stupid act!!! I will regret this forever. I decided to do it because I forgot my railcard today (which usually gives me discount) and the normal day travelcard is expensive . So there I got caught by the inspector and I had to give my name and address and real date of birth (as I tried to lie initially ). The thing is, he said that all I would get would be a letter telling me not to do this again. Is this the truth? or anything more serious could happen to me?
Btw I am 18 years of age and in international student.
Please help if possible ((((((((

Scroll to see replies

Big fine coming your way.
Reply 2
Not much will happen seeing are your an international student.
I got fined £50 for something similar. You may just receive a warning though.
Reply 4
Original post by confuse123
It was such a stupid act!!! I will regret this forever. I decided to do it because I forgot my railcard today (which usually gives me discount) and the normal day travelcard is expensive . So there I got caught by the inspector and I had to give my name and address and real date of birth (as I tried to lie initially ). The thing is, he said that all I would get would be a letter telling me not to do this again. Is this the truth? or anything more serious could happen to me?

Nothing will happen whatsoever, people in those positions like to make themselves feel more important by misusing their power. I doubt you'll even get a letter.

I got stopped by a community support officer for running a red light (just) and he said I'd lose my license, get taken to court and have police officers at my door. 6 months on and nothing has happened.

I wouldn't worry at all. Also a friend of mine did this and nothing at all happened! :smile:
Reply 5
Could be just a warning, your lucky to get away without a fine, next time, just pay up and get the proper ticket or get an oyster card, you can buy them for like £3 in a cornershop normally and top up what you need.
Reply 6
hehe i never got caught :P i also bought children tickets on the train between london-cardiff and never got caught.. Youre pretty lucky if youre not gonna get a fine though, just be relieved and stop worrying so much ? its not like theyre gonna deport you or something ^^

I hear they deport them foreigners for abusing underground train system.

Beware if you want to extend your visa - you're in trouble.
Reply 8
Original post by Sommerfugl
hehe i never got caught :P i also bought children tickets on the train between london-cardiff and never got caught.. Youre pretty lucky if youre not gonna get a fine though, just be relieved and stop worrying so much ? its not like theyre gonna deport you or something ^^

I am ready to pay a fine at this stage. it's just Im worried about the fact that im over 18 and so they can summon me to court or something. I hope this is very unlikely????? because im not a reoffender and the actual amount evaded was relatively small.
I know it was wrong though
Reply 9
Original post by trythisforexample
I got fined £50 for something similar. You may just receive a warning though.

Did you get caught in exactly the same situation, i.e. using a child day travelcard?
Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Seble
Not much will happen seeing are your an international student.

They would not prosecute an international student for this minor offence provided that I do pay the fine, would they?
I got caught using a child ticket, fined £25, I failed to pay that fine. They then sent a letter saying I've got an additional 3 weeks to pay the £25 fine or else it will turn into a £50 fine......

Moral of the story - The £25 fine did not amount to anything near the amount I've saved using child tickets, and I will continue to use child tickets.
Reply 12
Worst case scenario you get a fine. Prosecuting people is actually pretty costly so for such a minor thing they wouldn't waste money on summoning you to court or anything. Especially if you aren't denying what you did. Don't worry about it. If you get a fine just pay up and consider it a lesson learnt.
I swear I already answered this same thread yesterday...

Anyway no you will not get fined, it's unlikely anyway.
They would not prosecute an international student for this minor offence provided that I do pay the fine, would they?
No. Just make sure you pay the fine.
Reply 15
Thanks a lot!!
Reply 16
death by being tied down on a train track and being run over by a train
Reply 17
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
I got caught using a child ticket, fined £25, I failed to pay that fine. They then sent a letter saying I've got an additional 3 weeks to pay the £25 fine or else it will turn into a £50 fine......

Moral of the story - The £25 fine did not amount to anything near the amount I've saved using child tickets, and I will continue to use child tickets.

wow I know the logic, still, I'm too scared to re-offend x)
wow I know the logic, still, I'm too scared to re-offend x)

I worked 6 days a week, going into Old street station and travelling all around London, before 9.30 so I was paying 5 pound for a child ticket, had I brought the adult which was 10 pound I'd be spending 60 pound a week

60 pound a week - Adult
30 pound a week - Child

Technically I could afford 1 fine per week, which never happens seeing as I was doing it for months... :smile:
Original post by edd360
death by being tied down on a train track and being run over by a train

That reminds me of the crap derren brown show where the guy had to untie himself from the track, if you don't know what I'm talking about don't worry lol

Quick Reply

Latest