The Student Room Group

University Football

Basically going to university in september and hoping to join the football team. I would consider myself reasonably good at football but i was just wondering:

How good the standard of the university league is ? (any comparisons to other standards of football would be grateful)

How difficult it is to get onto a university team ?

What general fitness levels of the average player is ? (so that i can train accordingly over the summer)

Thanks
Reply 1
anybody ?
Reply 2
Uni football usually has around 4 teams.

1st team. Extremely high standard.
2nd team. Again high standard
3rd team. Generally mediocre standard.
4th team. Retards

Popular sports generally have trials that you take to see if you make the cut or not.

Oh and no matter how good you are, don't expect to get into the 1st or second team in your first year. (Almost never happens)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by amime

4th team. Retards

Popular sports generally have trials that you take to see if you make the cut or not.

4th team is normally of good quality too. My uni had a 5th team & that was good quality too.
Reply 4
It's based upon your ability to down several pints in a short space of time.

And if your lucky you might be chosen as "bucket boy" where you stand around naked, during socials with the sick bucket. :awesome:
Reply 5
Original post by Vintage
4th team is normally of good quality too. My uni had a 5th team & that was good quality too.

I know but I needed to add something comical.
Reply 6
Original post by amime

4th team. Retards

By extremely high how good we talking here?

ex-academy ? released pro youth team members ? county ?
Reply 7
Original post by specialm
By extremely high how good we talking here?

ex-academy ? released pro youth team members ? county ?

Yeah, generally a semi-pro level with a mix of released players that decide to get an education. I don't think I've seen a first or second team player that hasn't at least been looked at by a club.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by amime
Yeah, generally a semi-pro level with a mix of released players that decide to get an education. I don't think I've seen a first or second team player that hasn't at least been looked at by a club.

So basically unlucky not to be professional ? I think i may have my work cut out
Reply 9
Original post by specialm
So basically unlucky not to be professional ? I think i may have my work cut out

Just get your fitness up. Try and get into the 3rd/4th and then work your way up, training with the others
Reply 10
Don't mean to hijack the thread but also curious about this.

Do uni's generally have teams for people that really are crap at football, but just want to play regularly for fun? I'm talking teams where people don't care how good you are/people who have never played anything but with their friends before.....
Original post by amime

4th team. Retards

Oh and no matter how good you are, don't expect to get into the 1st or second team in your first year. (Almost never happens)

only 4 teams :p: we have like 7

our 1st are that they great they are good but nothing out there, to be a 1st player you have to be mates with the captain, freshers sometimes get called up

freshers do get into the 2nd here quite alot, normally you start in the 4th and go up or down, or stay depending how how well you can play, if you can just about kick a ball you will get into the 7th

it depends on how you want to play, if you just want some fun than the lower teams are good for that, fitness wise normally these 2 games a week, Wednesday you play other unis and Saturday in the local league, and training twice a week, or once a week and circle training
Reply 12
Original post by neillya1
Don't mean to hijack the thread but also curious about this.

Do uni's generally have teams for people that really are crap at football, but just want to play regularly for fun? I'm talking teams where people don't care how good you are/people who have never played anything but with their friends before.....

Just turn up for training every week.

There is also other football teams like 6/7 a side leagues.

Quick Reply

Latest