The Student Room Group

B2 or C1 to study in France

Bonjour!

I've got a question regarding the DELF/DALF certificates for French. I have the B2 one, and I was wondering whether that one would suffice to be accepted to study in France without a language test? Or should I take the C1 one as well, to be on the safe side?

Any help greatly appreciated :smile:

Merci :yes:
Reply 1
I think only B2 is required but if you had C1 your file / application would look better
Reply 2
Original post by cooper21
I think only B2 is required but if you had C1 your file / application would look better

Merci bien :smile:
Reply 3
service :smile:
Reply 4
C1 is the minimum recommended for you to study at a French UNi. I am doing the C2 which is pretty hard. B2 is too low.
Reply 5
Isn't B2 equivalent to A level? I don't know what the requirements are but I certainly wouldn't be confident about studying a degree in French with only A level standard :no:
Reply 6
Original post by medbh4805
Isn't B2 equivalent to A level? I don't know what the requirements are but I certainly wouldn't be confident about studying a degree in French with only A level standard :no:

I have no idea because I don't do A Levels...
Reply 7
yep actually it seems to depend on where you want to go :

Dès la 1ère année d'université
DALF C1 ou
TCF B2/C1 ou
TCF - DAP
Entrer en école d'architecture
DALF B1 ou
DELF B2 ou
DALF C1
Licence / Master
DELF B1 ou
DELF B2 ou
DALF C1
Reply 8
and there :
http://cccl-laos.org/doc/campusfrance/DepliantNiveaudefrancais.pdf

so yeah it seems to be either DELF B2 or DALF C1 ( i have no idea what the difference is between tho , which one do you have ?)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
and there :
http://cccl-laos.org/doc/campusfrance/DepliantNiveaudefrancais.pdf

so yeah it seems to be either DELF B2 or DALF C1 ( i have no idea what the difference is between tho , which one do you have ?)

I have the B2 one, the next level would be C1.
Reply 10
Original post by Sappho
I have the B2 one, the next level would be C1.

yeah depends on where you want to go then but maybe you should take the C1, + it will be easier to understand the course
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
yeah depends on where you want to go then but maybe you should take the C1, + it will be easier to understand the course

Yes, you're probably right. Thanks for your help again, TSR doesn't let me rep you, I'm afraid...:rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by Sappho
Yes, you're probably right. Thanks for your help again, TSR doesn't let me rep you, I'm afraid...:rolleyes:

No probbb
B2 is the minimum that is required so that should be fine but ideally you should go to DALF C2 (fluent) and :lol: at you guys comparing the DELF/Dalf to GCSEs/A-Levels... :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by tehFrance
B2 is the minimum that is required so that should be fine but ideally you should go to DALF C2 (fluent) and :lol: at you guys comparing the DELF/Dalf to GCSEs/A-Levels... :tongue:

Haha, I'll happily do the C2 after my stay in France:tongue:
But yeah, I guess I should just try taking the C1...

Quick Reply