The Student Room Group

Uncertainty in what course to choose!

I'm studying maths chemistry and biology at the moment, with a goal to go into computing. I've been told that if I do a course in computing at my college I can get into uni that way, which I think is a better option for me, but I'm unsure as to whether uni's will actually accept a level 3 in software development.

And when I get to that decision I have the decision of whether to do computer science, or software development.

Where to the better job opportunities lie?

Thanks,

Ben.
Reply 1
To be honest - both offer the same level of employment with a very slight veer towards computer science (as it is mentioned more than software in job description but you will still get employed with software).

My advice is maybe to do either a HND or Foundation degree just to see if you like it.

i'm not gonna lie in saying that Computer science and Software development are quite challenging. Computer science more challenging, as i think that some unis offer you the chance to study A.I. Life (robots) and etc.

Do foundation in college - generally they will teach you networking, web design and some aspects of programming - mainly with Visual Basics and Java... This will give you a "taste" of what software and computing is like. If you liked the course overall - then go for computer science as it will focus alot of software development and other bits like networking and security, as well as database administration and server technology.

With software - it's quite challenging but the jobs in both are excellent.

With today - software jobs are everywhere so after either course, you could get a job in a matter of days.

I WILL STRESS THIS THOUGH - you will need good enough marks in Maths to make it to Computer science!

Good luck with your choices!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending