The Student Room Group

UCAS Adjustment?

Hi, i'm just looking to hear people's experiences of UCAS adjustment. I've got an aab offer which i'm kind of happy about but if i got 3 a*s i'd like to think that it would be possible for me to go somewhere a bit better. I'm obviously aware that oxford won't go for adjustment, but do any top institutions do it? ( e.g. ucl, warwick, st andrew, durham, bristol).
Also any tips about the adjustment process?
Thanks.
Original post by thecityscape
Hi, i'm just looking to hear people's experiences of UCAS adjustment. I've got an aab offer which i'm kind of happy about but if i got 3 a*s i'd like to think that it would be possible for me to go somewhere a bit better. I'm obviously aware that oxford won't go for adjustment, but do any top institutions do it? ( e.g. ucl, warwick, st andrew, durham, bristol).
Thanks.

I can't say which institutions will use Adjustment, but my tips would be, do your research before results day so you know which Uni's you'll be aiming for, and then start phoning as soon as you know your results - you only get 5 calendar days (including the weekend) from A Level Thursday (or when you go Unconditional after this up until the end of August) to shop around AND be accepted through Adjustment. After that you'd have to be released into Clearing to go elsewhere which is must more dangerous!
Thanks.

Firstly, it is very unusual to get a place through Adjustment. Somewhere in the region of 400 people did so last year. That's a fraction of 1% of all applicants.

Secondly, it is even more unlikely to get a place through Adjustment at the sort of uni that offers AAA or above. More likely is that it will turn out to be like a better version of Clearing, where typically people with middling offers (for example, BCC) find a course that offers slightly higher (let's say BBB).

It's a long shot at best.
Reply 3
Thanks.
Potally_Tissed has it about right, I'm afraid. Only about 10% of people who register for Adjustment actually take up a different place as a result.

Officially, none of the 'top' unis 'do' Adjustment. Certainly Oxbridge don't because their admissions process is so strongly interview based. Some of the others you mention might, possibly, depending on the course, though officially they don't participate either. Sciences generally are more likely to have opportunities than the arts/humanities courses.

Whatever you do, pick your firm and insurance choices on the basis that these are unis you would be happy to go to. If you really do get 3 A*s on the day, it is an option to withdraw altogether and re-apply for 2012 - but that approach is not without its risks and implications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending