The Student Room Group

Physics work done question!!!1

A unit mass of fluid is compressed reversibly according to the law pv=0.5, where p is the pressure in bar and v is the specific volume in m3/kg. The final volume is ¼ of the initial volume. Calculate the work done on the fluid.
Reply 1
Original post by jas248
A unit mass of fluid is compressed reversibly according to the law pv=0.5, where p is the pressure in bar and v is the specific volume in m3/kg. The final volume is ¼ of the initial volume. Calculate the work done on the fluid.

This should help:

The work done is the area under the pressure-volume graph so that

W=V1V2 ⁣ ⁣p  dV\displaystyle W=\int_{V_1}^{V_2}\! \! p\; \mathrm{d}V.

If you still can't do it, let me know.
Reply 2
Original post by jaroc
This should help:

The work done is the area under the pressure-volume graph so that

W=V1V2 ⁣ ⁣p  dV\displaystyle W=\int_{V_1}^{V_2}\! \! p\; \mathrm{d}V.

If you still can't do it, let me know.

Thanks for the reply but im really not that great with intergration however I did find another formula:

W=PVln(v1/v2)
Therefore W=0.5*10^5 ln(1/0.25)
=69314.7 J

Am i right in using this formula????

Thanks for your help
Reply 3
Original post by jas248
Thanks for the reply but im really not that great with intergration however I did find another formula:

W=PVln(v1/v2)
Therefore W=0.5*10^5 ln(1/0.25)
=69314.7 J

Am i right in using this formula????

Thanks for your help

Yeah, that's correct. This is the formula for isothermal process, i.e. where temperature is constant. According to the Clapeyron's formula, if temperature is constant, pV is also constant. So this an isothermal process. Below is the derivation of this formula:

Spoiler

Reply 4
Can someone explain what it means by "unit mass of fluid" what is a unit mass is it a slug (14.6kg)? Because dont you have to convert the m3/kg into m3?

Quick Reply

Latest