The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Weston Hall

What are your opinions about Weston hall? Anyone currently/been living in those blocks?

Is it a good location?

Are the rooms spacious?

Crime in the area?

How do you usually get to the campus site, just walk?

Nearby shops / cashmachines ?

I'm most particularly interested in it due to its proximity to Picadilly station and the city centre where (apparently) the good facilities / nightlife are meant to be with lower crime than other areas, is the centre really low in crime?

Thanks, I know those are a load of questions but I'm just trying to create a picture of the place.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have lived in Weston Hall.

The location is excellent!

The rooms are average sized.

I didn't experience any or hear of any crime in the area.

There are 2 shops within a minute walk!

Overall, I would really recommend it.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by OnlyMe!
I have lived in Weston Hall.

The location is excellent!

The rooms are average sized.

I didn't experience any or hear of any crime in the area.

There are 2 shops within a minute walk!

Overall, I would really recommend it.

This is a city centre campus isn't it? I went on an open day a few months ago, and a few students mentioned that all the night life happens in Fallowfield and city and Victoria park campuses are generally "boring". Would you say this is true?

I'm not obsessed with partying but I'd prefer to live in a lively area :smile:

Original post by AVE_
This is a city centre campus isn't it? I went on an open day a few months ago, and a few students mentioned that all the night life happens in Fallowfield and city and Victoria park campuses are generally "boring". Would you say this is true?

Either they were from Fallowfield or most of their friends were in Fallowfield. City has plenty to offer, including some non-student areas when you get sick of being around them.

Either way, Oxford/Wilmslow road has plenty of buses to take you to either end.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by AVE_

Bus pass? :p:

To be honest, the city centre is what you make of it. I actually prefer the night life in the city to that of Fallowfield. Canal Street is a 2 minute walk away (if that's your thing!) and many places such as 5 Avenue, Revolution, etc. are nearby too.
Reply 5
Original post by kidoo
Is it a good location?

Are the rooms spacious?

Crime in the area?

How do you usually get to the campus site, just walk?

Nearby shops / cashmachines ?

The location is excellent - really close to the city centre and Piccadilly, so you never need to pay to get a bus to town! If you're studying at the North campus, it's also just over the road from the uni buildings. I don't know exactly which subjects are taught there, but it mainly seemed to be sciences/engineering. If your lectures are in South campus, then you can either walk, ride a bike or get the free 147 bus by showing your student card. This leaves from just around the corner and can be very handy if it's raining!

The rooms aren't overly spacious, if I'm honest. Typical halls affair really though, it's hard to find a 'spacious' room in any halls of residence! It's plenty big enough to live in for 9 months, though. The kitchens tend to be huge at Weston as well, so if you get along well with your flatmates you'll probably spend lots of time in there anyway...

I never saw any crime in the area when I lived there, and as I always say with Manchester in general, you just need to have common sense and you should be fine. Try not to walk alone at night, stick to main roads, don't carry lots of money/valuables, try to look confident and just keep your wits about you. Nobody I know had any problems at all in first year - obviously stuff can happen, but it's not as common as many assume.

There's a Spar shop really near to Weston, and for weekly shopping there's a Sainsbury's Local on Oxford Rd and one in Piccadilly train station, as well as a Tesco Express and Aldi on Market St in the city centre. It's not too bad for nearby shops, it's a shame there's no huge supermarket anywhere but it is a city centre so I suppose that's expected.
Reply 6
Hi I have applied here I don't know when I get told if I got a room but was thinking do you get free wifi in rooms and around there place ?? And do they have a tv in the kitchen or something for when you want to relax ??
Reply 7
Original post by mimimimi
The location is excellent - really close to the city centre and Piccadilly, so you never need to pay to get a bus to town! If you're studying at the North campus, it's also just over the road from the uni buildings. I don't know exactly which subjects are taught there, but it mainly seemed to be sciences/engineering. If your lectures are in South campus, then you can either walk, ride a bike or get the free 147 bus by showing your student card. This leaves from just around the corner and can be very handy if it's raining!

The rooms aren't overly spacious, if I'm honest. Typical halls affair really though, it's hard to find a 'spacious' room in any halls of residence! It's plenty big enough to live in for 9 months, though. The kitchens tend to be huge at Weston as well, so if you get along well with your flatmates you'll probably spend lots of time in there anyway...

I never saw any crime in the area when I lived there, and as I always say with Manchester in general, you just need to have common sense and you should be fine. Try not to walk alone at night, stick to main roads, don't carry lots of money/valuables, try to look confident and just keep your wits about you. Nobody I know had any problems at all in first year - obviously stuff can happen, but it's not as common as many assume.

There's a Spar shop really near to Weston, and for weekly shopping there's a Sainsbury's Local on Oxford Rd and one in Piccadilly train station, as well as a Tesco Express and Aldi on Market St in the city centre. It's not too bad for nearby shops, it's a shame there's no huge supermarket anywhere but it is a city centre so I suppose that's expected.

Hi I have applied here I don't know when I get told if I got a room but was thinking do you get free wifi in rooms and around there place ?? And do they have a tv in the kitchen or something for when you want to relax ??
Reply 8
Original post by Dunney1

Hi Dunney1, there's internet connection via cable in Weston Hall. The hall does not have wifi on its own but apparently they are going to provide that some point in near future. And there's no tv, sad i know. There's a common area in each flat, where there are sofas and chairs.. there's also a common area at the ground floor where you could play ping pong.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi I just got an offer to stay in Weston Hall. To be honest I really like the room, but when I searched about it, most of the comments are negative comments saying that its not good and it is filled with international students, please tell me that its a good place to live in :frown: :frown:

anyways, are there any bus station nearby that will allow me to go directly to the uni?

please tell me if any of you are going to stay there, please please please, I need friends :frown: I'll tell you my room number and etc etc etc
Original post by flowerpower29
Hi I just got an offer to stay in Weston Hall. To be honest I really like the room, but when I searched about it, most of the comments are negative comments saying that its not good and it is filled with international students, please tell me that its a good place to live in :frown: :frown:

anyways, are there any bus station nearby that will allow me to go directly to the uni?

please tell me if any of you are going to stay there, please please please, I need friends :frown: I'll tell you my room number and etc etc etc

hey! ive also got weston, and i am also worried about the negative comments that i have been reading..what room are u at? :smile:

Hey I got an offer for Weston too :smile: I'm slightly worried about it as well but hopefully things work out :smile: what's your room number? Mine's RE.03.26
Original post by whattosay05
hey! ive also got weston, and i am also worried about the negative comments that i have been reading..what room are u at? :smile:

Hi! I'm in Weston too :smile: Room RE.03.26
Reply 13
Original post by emknowsaunicorn
Hi! I'm in Weston too :smile: Room RE.03.26

I'm in weston hall as well and I was worried about the international students thing, my room is BU.03.03
Original post by emknowsaunicorn
Hey I got an offer for Weston too :smile: I'm slightly worried about it as well but hopefully things work out :smile: what's your room number? Mine's RE.03.26

Hiii mine's GR.04 :smile: what are you taking???
Original post by jilsxx
I'm in weston hall as well and I was worried about the international students thing, my room is BU.03.03

hellooooo i'll be at weston hall too and my room is GR.04. anyway, I'm an international student :smile: and I can speak english and I wont gang up......... nice to meet you!
Reply 16
Where are you from? I'm doing chemistry you?
Reply 17
hellooooo i'll be at weston hall too and my room is GR.04. anyway, I'm an international student :smile: and I can speak english and I wont gang up......... nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you too :smile: thanks
Reply 18
MIne is Weston BU.02.03 any british students here that got an offer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
just got an offer for weston hall, BU.06.02 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest