Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone play Soccer Manager (Online game) ?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    How do the ratings work then? I know it's a link to the real life performances of the players? I bought Andre Pierre Gignac for £18m as I needed a striker, he had a rating of 90, he scored two goals on debut then next thing, his rating has dropped to 89!

Also, zander or anyone else joins, feel free to put your usernames or whatver is needed so I can put on my friends list, handy way of knowing who from TSR is my Game World. Me and MTR are in Division one if anyone wants to see if teams are available in that. Zander I believe is in Division 2.
    With Gignac, he has only played 2 games for Marseille this season (as far as I can tell). Meaning that he will drop in his rating (rotation or backup players will rarely keep a rating of 90+ unless they play for one of the really big teams). To keep a rating of 90+ the player will most likely also have to be part of the international setup. Sadly players do drop in their rating - I just had Arne Friedrich and Marcell Jansen both drop from 90 to 89 as well.

The best thing to do is try and buy players who will rise or at worse, stay the same. assessing your squad for this every now and then (just before a rating change for example) is a good idea.

By the way with Gignac, he was due to join Fulham in the summer transfer window and if he did in Jan may potentially make it into euro 2012 France team/ squad so it may be worth keeping him. depends on your options and what you think. From wikipedia:

According to Fulham manager Martin Jol, Gignac was set to sign for Fulham on the 31st August 2011, but his club Marseilles pulled the plug on the deal at 11PM on Transfer Deadline Day. On November 26, 2011, Gignac was relegated to Marseille's reserve squad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9-Pierre_Gignac

The players performance in the game is dependent only on their current ratings and not on their form. So a player who is out of form in real life but yet to have a rating drop is just as good as a player who is in form but yet to have a rating increase. If that makes sense?

Did you buy Torres or was he there when you became manager? do you think his rating will change in the upcoming review? Just my opinion, but you may want to consider this.

By the way, are you interested in doing a deal for Scott Parker?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTR_10)
    Did you buy Torres or was he there when you became manager? do you think his rating will change in the upcoming review? Just my opinion, but you may want to consider this.

By the way, are you interested in doing a deal for Scott Parker?
    Thanks for that, really helpful

Torres was there when I joined, unlike AVB, I'm going to persist with Nando and hope he gets his scoring boots back on. I can't really see myself selling him unless there was another big player I could swap with him and if his rating dropped.

I maybe, not yet though. Gareth Barry is out injured and ideally I'd like two DM's fit so once Barry's fit, I'll let you know about doing a deal. Maybe an exchange if there are some good attacking talent in your ranks.

EDIT: Actually, now you've explained the ratings abit more, might be tempted to keep Scotty now lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The thumbnail for soccermanager over recent years is look at fifa ratings and add about 8. not always true but it is a relative yardstick.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On a great run atm, played 12, drawn 1 and won 11. Pushed me right into the mix of things at the top, 3pts behind Boca Juniors. So proud that I thought I'd share!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I sealed my first championship today - went into the final game and got hammered 5-0 by Manchester United. I assumed that Boca Juniors would get the three pts and nick the title but luckily they drew so I've won my first piece of silverware. I'm going to be booking some friendlies in so probably try and get some matches in with some TSR peeps.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone still play this? I just started it again
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan4444)
    Anyone still play this? I just started it again
    I've been playing for nearly 2 years now. It's good fun and really increased my football knowledge. Would definitely recommend to anyone else interested, it's free too.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to play this in year 8, but then I got bored of it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I play it still. Missed some of my team's matches due to work but still play it. Find it damn hard to trying to sign players though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there a TSR gameworld?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Three people in world championship 1089 at the minute.

Still playing as Dortmund, Manchester United and Fiorentina. Yet to wina trophy in a long while just got bide my time and let morale and team chemistry build up over time, so far most likely looks to be united or Dortmund but going on well. Fiorentina are plugging away in second division but hope to up to 1st next season.

How is everyone else getting on??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in 7th the World Champ 1089, Division One. Any tips on how to buy good players? I can't remember the last player I bought who was a top player.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in 7th the World Champ 1089, Division One. Any tips on how to buy good players? I can't remember the last player I bought who was a top player.
    Do you mean any young talents with the potential to be a top player or people who should get a rise soon to 90+?

Some good risers would be people like Gomez, Giroud, Lewandowski, Evans e.t.c

Some young talents who will probably rise high could Thiago, Muniain, Lamela, Moura, Stefanos Kapino, Nick Powell, e.t.c
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^Both.

Alot of the players are already at good clubs and unwilling to sell. Unless you pay crazy money.

Also, any idea what sort of manager rating you need to get to be approached for another job? I feel like a new club. I was on a rating of about 50 odd when I got the Liverpool job - won them the League Championship. Wouldn't mind Barcelona or Madrid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As far as i've played the game, 5 or 6 years. Its just dumb luck when you get offered jobs. All i look for is clubs with crazy amounts of money and build them up for div 2 or 3, your more likely to get offered jobs than if your at a top half division 1 team. Haven't been offered a job in charge of my three clubs since I last changed to manchester united.

regarding buying players, i always check the latest news feed on the overview page and everytime a manager leaves i shortlist their best players. Have to wait 7 days to make offers but every now and then top teams lose their managers and their players can be picked off by the rest of the game world, unless people are willing to sell appears to be the only successful ways of buying players in my experience of the game.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In one of my gameworlds (English Championship 16230), Liverpool and Newcastle are free if anyone wants them. Also tottenham, arsenal and chelsea should be free in a couple of days, as they have been offered to other managers but I am the only person who has logged in in the last five days, most others last logged in 28 days ago
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd drag this thread up to see how everyone was getting on.

Still managing Liverpool, in my last season won the SMFA Champions Cup by beating Manchester United (oh, the irony!) in a penalty shoot-out.

Cue the next season and was second after about eight games and suddenly dropped off.

I just wanted to ask how others go about beating teams better than you?

I've got a a squad rating - if all players are fit of 92 - but in recent games against sides with a similiar rating, my team have lost.

Formation wise, two teams I faced had a 3-5-2 so on the first occasion, I copied them and ended up losing. Second time round, at home, I went for a 4-5-1 and lost.

On the SM forum, someone suggested of focusing on players' performance ratings over their actual ratings and that sometimes lesser players do well.

It's certainly opened up a new avenue of thought when picking my side. I have gone for ratings over performances. I just think it's a safety net because it's a logical thought of ratings = results. And at times, it has worked for me. I do agree that sometimes lower ratings players do well, e.g. Muntari for me. Targetting opponents' player who are playing poorly is another aspect I'll focus abit more on.

Thoughts?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd drag this thread up to see how everyone was getting on.

Still managing Liverpool, in my last season won the SMFA Champions Cup by beating Manchester United (oh, the irony!) in a penalty shoot-out.

Cue the next season and was second after about eight games and suddenly dropped off.

I just wanted to ask how others go about beating teams better than you?

I've got a a squad rating - if all players are fit of 92 - but in recent games against sides with a similiar rating, my team have lost.

Formation wise, two teams I faced had a 3-5-2 so on the first occasion, I copied them and ended up losing. Second time round, at home, I went for a 4-5-1 and lost.

On the SM forum, someone suggested of focusing on players' performance ratings over their actual ratings and that sometimes lesser players do well.

It's certainly opened up a new avenue of thought when picking my side. I have gone for ratings over performances. I just think it's a safety net because it's a logical thought of ratings = results. And at times, it has worked for me. I do agree that sometimes lower ratings players do well, e.g. Muntari for me. Targetting opponents' player who are playing poorly is another aspect I'll focus abit more on.

Thoughts?
    Only just seen this :/

I normally tend to build up a good squad of players which focuses on having a good defense, as well as at least one good striker and tend to play 4-5-1 formations. I find that I can dominate possession and normally get decent results normally beating teams worse than me and getting the occasional points against better teams, although can get a lot of 0-0 draws. I also pick my team mostly on ratings rather than performances, although I do look at the form of my players and take it into account. Also I don't play people that are unhappy so they have a high morale, not sure if this makes much of a difference. I find that this works well with my West Ham and Preston North End teams (with West Ham Team currently third in the first division and Preston just missing out in the play offs to promotion to the first division).

For my Arsenal team I normally play a 3-5-2 formation. This is because my defense is strong with Piszczek, Vidal, Silva, Bale, Coentrao and Alaba to chose from, with Schweinsteiger as a defensive midfielder, who also plays as the play maker, with Van Persie target man normally partnered with Falcao/Lewandowski/Podolski. I normally pick this team based upon rating as I have less squad players just to rotate in if someone has a low performance rating, but I tend to rotate the strikers and defense every game in order to keep condition high, whereas as the midfield tend to be more constant.

Hope some of this helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man.

I've gone on a good run since that post, had a long line of results coupled with defeats. I've gone to analysing the opposition more, so if they have less men in midfield, I tend to go with five there and attack from the wings.

It's annoying when you lose to CPU teams, I tend to go with 3-5-2 when I play them and have tended to do OK. But I did lose a match using that formation vs. a CPU one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Talking about beating stronger teams Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preston v blackburn.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	205809

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2014
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.