The Student Room Group

Dentistry Graduate Entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
around half five-ish this evening? ucas track update, totally gobsmacked tbh x
Reply 861
Original post by vthom_45
Did they say that after all the stations when you were all still in the room together? I don't remember hearing that but I was pretty spaced after all those questions!

yeah, but we weren't in the room after the interview...they kept us at the entrance, and they told us then.
I want to apply to the 4 year course at KCL. Does anyone have any advice on how to stand out from the crowd and increases the chances of getting invited for an interview?
Reply 863
Original post by dent2012
yeah, but we weren't in the room after the interview...they kept us at the entrance, and they told us then.

Ah, yeah they didn't do that for our group.
Reply 864
has anyone got student finance sorted for grad dentistry?
liverpool offer :smile:
Reply 866
Original post by roshposh09
liverpool offer :smile:

congratssss :smile:

you're on the 5 year course though yeh?
Original post by elavender
congratssss :smile:

you're on the 5 year course though yeh?

yep 5 year!
Reply 868
Original post by roshposh09
yep 5 year!

woohoo! :smile: congrats
Reply 869
Got an offer from Aberdeen via ucas track this morning.
Reply 870
congrats! :smile:
Reply 871
congrats! :smile:

Thanks, I really wanted to go to Liverpool but it looks like its Plymouth or Aberdeen for me (I'm still made up, just disappointed to leave Liverpool). Are you going to take your offer at Liverpool or do you have other offers?
Reply 872
Thanks, I really wanted to go to Liverpool but it looks like its Plymouth or Aberdeen for me (I'm still made up, just disappointed to leave Liverpool). Are you going to take your offer at Liverpool or do you have other offers?

I had an offer from Kings and Liverpool, and I've firmed Liverpool. Do you already go to Liverpool now then? Same here.
Still, getting into two schools and having the choice is still an amazing achievement! Which one do you think you'll go for?
Reply 873
I had an offer from Kings and Liverpool, and I've firmed Liverpool. Do you already go to Liverpool now then? Same here.
Still, getting into two schools and having the choice is still an amazing achievement! Which one do you think you'll go for?

I went to Liverpool and now work at the Uni. Perhaps Plymouth. The courses are quite different from what I can tell. Aberdeen 1st year is very lecture based and Plymouth seems to be more heavily based on "enquiry based learning", which is like PBL that you will do at Liverpool aka "PB Hell" :wink:
Reply 874
I went to Liverpool and now work at the Uni. Perhaps Plymouth. The courses are quite different from what I can tell. Aberdeen 1st year is very lecture based and Plymouth seems to be more heavily based on "enquiry based learning", which is like PBL that you will do at Liverpool aka "PB Hell" :wink:

aha! i did pbl as part of the degree im doing at the moment and tbf i thought i was going to hate it, but actually really enjoyed it and learnt much better that way :smile:
Reply 875
aha! i did pbl as part of the degree im doing at the moment and tbf i thought i was going to hate it, but actually really enjoyed it and learnt much better that way :smile:

It's interesting that you say that, some people agree and some say that you don't learn as much. It sounds like it can depend on the people you have in your groups. Hopefully on a grad-entry course everyone will be doing the prep and won't be too scared to contribute to the discussions so I can see how that would lead to a lot of ideas and hopefully understanding. You are encouraging me to go for Plymouth now.
Reply 876
It's interesting that you say that, some people agree and some say that you don't learn as much. It sounds like it can depend on the people you have in your groups. Hopefully on a grad-entry course everyone will be doing the prep and won't be too scared to contribute to the discussions so I can see how that would lead to a lot of ideas and hopefully understanding. You are encouraging me to go for Plymouth now.

Yeah personally I thought "ugh, really not going to learn this way, and it's going to take so much longer and be really annoying and what if I get an awful group etc"
When in reality I think it prepares you a lot more for the real world, especially as a dentist or medic etc, because it makes you think for yourself and come up with diagnoses and research things rather than just being lectured at and told the answer and just copying it from a board. As you research the topic and discuss it (usually a scenario lasted for 3 weeks, well it did for when I did it) and refine it and come back with dilemmas and solutions etc I found that it stuck in my head a lot longer and when faced with an examination question you could think it through and work it out? Useful for when you're in practice and you're there on your lonesome and have to work it out! Plus it gives you opinions, ideas and views from other people that you might not have even thought of :smile: Good for team-building.
And as for the group thing, there's always a demonstrator/teacher type person who oversees each meeting and makes sure that one person doesn't dominate the discussion nor is there anyone left out and everyone is encouraged equally and also to make sure you're covering all the right things and not going off track!

I found pbl to be a really good way of learning.

Sorry for the rant! :smile:
Reply 877
But to be honest, it is something that the more you put into it, the more you get out of it :smile:
Unconditional from Glasvegas this afternoon and Aberdeen this morning. Now a months of contemplating which offer to accept. Aberdeen is first choice at the moment.
Reply 879

is this for the undergrad or grad at liverpool? i have a undergrad offer but still waiting on any news for grad!!

Quick Reply

Latest