The Student Room Group

Dentistry Graduate Entry 2012

Just wondered if anyone was thinking of starting a thread about this?

After all, only 5 months until the forms go in

Scroll to see replies

I'm with you. Started my UCAS application yesterday and I'm contacting English unis to see if I could possibly fund a BDS down there (I'm in Scotland). I've made myself a strict timetable for getting PS and reference sorted out as I'm on a training year in a hospital which requires I write up reflective pieces almost every night on what I learn and I can expect to be studying for a big exam next June/July.

Hope to hear people stats and where they're applying soon.
BUMP!
Reply 3
It's quite reassuring how quiet this thread is - obviously less competition this year!
I agree. Must be the new fees.
I got bored of My PS so created a wiki for 2012 take a look and add you info http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/w/index.php?title=Dental_Applicants_Stalking_2012
Reply 6
Thought I'd post my stats in case anyone is remotely interested:

Year of Entry: 2012
Deferred?: No
GCSEs: Don't remember too well but got a D in chemistry first time round!
AS Grades: N/A
A2 Prediction/Results: Biology A, Maths C, Design D
Previous Degree (if applicable): Psychology BSc 2:1, Computing & IT 1st, Natural Sciences BSc (Bio+Chem) predicted 1st (yes, 3 degrees)
UKCAT (if applicable): N/A
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week private GDP, 2 weeks NHS GDP, 1 week oral surgery dept, 2 days community, 1 day dental lab
Extra Curricular: Contract web developer. 2 kids. Surfing, cycling, swimming, guitar. Spent 5 years teaching English abroad
Universities applied to and decisions: Peninsula GEP
Original post by cptKernow

Previous Degree (if applicable): Psychology BSc 2:1, Computing & IT 1st, Natural Sciences BSc (Bio+Chem) predicted 1st (yes, 3 degrees)
Work Experience/Volunteering: 1 week private GDP, 2 weeks NHS GDP, 1 week oral surgery dept, 2 days community, 1 day dental lab
Extra Curricular: Contract web developer. 2 kids. Surfing, cycling, swimming, guitar. Spent 5 years teaching English abroad

lol. nothing better than collected letters. CPTKERNOW BSc Bsc Bsc

just out of interest.. how old are you?
Reply 9
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
just out of interest.. how old are you?

Old enough to work for 20+ years after qualifying, if that answers your question?! :wink:
Where is everyone?? Is this the official thread? and guys you CANT get into dentistry with grades AAB can you? If you get that are you just meant to give up?
Reply 11
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
Where is everyone?? Is this the official thread? and guys you CANT get into dentistry with grades AAB can you? If you get that are you just meant to give up?

Graduate entry?? Some places don't look at your A-levels.
Also, given grades have 'improved' every year since I took my A-levels I'd say that mine are worth about AAB in modern money!

Original post by EveryLittleHelps.
37/38?

Yup!
Old enough to work for 20+ years after qualifying, if that answers your question?! :wink:

aha wow
seeing your commitment definately motivates me to keep applying even if i have to go through the postgrad route
:biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
aha wow
seeing your commitment definately motivates me to keep applying even if i have to go through the postgrad route
:biggrin:

Hopefully, the dental schools will appreciate the commitment required to get a 1st, whilst working and having 2 kids! Oh, that and being so old I can barely get out of bed some mornings!
Reply 14
What if you don't get into Peninsula?

Then, I shall be instigating my fiendishly cunning Plan B...
I hope there is a decrease is GEP applicants over the next few years. :biggrin:

Increased fees and NHS non-essential funding going...guaranteed to have a decrease.
GOOD LUCK GUYS!!!

The last application cycle was pretty tough, this years' may be even harder for GED!
hello thought i will introduce myself.

I am a BMS been working for a year. i have a 2:1 in Bsc Applied Biomedical science and will have 4weeks work experience from two dental practices by the time I apply. My A levels are completely irrelevant to science/dentistry grades not too bad but i been told by the universities am applying to that they dont look at A levels anyway (hopefully they telling the truth!).

I am applying to KINGS, QUEENS, Aberdeen and peninsula..... still not done my UKCAT! :frown:

.... what did everyone use/will be using to rervise for UKCAT?
Original post by graduate2010
hello thought i will introduce myself.

I am a BMS been working for a year. i have a 2:1 in Bsc Applied Biomedical science and will have 4weeks work experience from two dental practices by the time I apply. My A levels are completely irrelevant to science/dentistry grades not too bad but i been told by the universities am applying to that they dont look at A levels anyway (hopefully they telling the truth!).

I am applying to KINGS, QUEENS, Aberdeen and peninsula..... still not done my UKCAT! :frown:

.... what did everyone use/will be using to rervise for UKCAT?

Hey. May I ask how you'll be funding Aberdeen? I didn't think an English student loan would cover studying in Scotland at 9k a year. One month experience :eek: you'll be good competition!
Well There only 4universities in the uk that will accept me without looking at my A levels and I can apply to a maximum of four universities using same UKCAT result and ucas application so I might as well apply to all so I have no regrets later.... finance I will not stress myself about yet as I may not get any offers in the end. if only Aberdeen accepts me then I will have to do the impossible to get financial help.... am just doing my very best to ensure I get in 2012 as am getting old n wana just settle down with a good career Which I enjoy

Quick Reply

Latest