The Student Room Group

Divergence with plane polars.

I'm not really sure where to start, I am so confused.
Reply 1
Well r=x2+y2r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} and tanθ=yx\tan \theta = \dfrac{y}{x}, so if F(r,θ)=Frer+FθeθF(r, \theta) = F_r \mathbf{e}_r + F_{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta} then you need to use the chain rule to find the corresponding expression for F\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F}.
Reply 2
Original post by nuodai
Well r=x2+y2r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} and tanθ=yx\tan \theta = \dfrac{y}{x}, so if F(r,θ)=Frer+FθeθF(r, \theta) = F_r \mathbf{e}_r + F_{\theta}\mathbf{e}_{\theta} then you need to use the chain rule to find the corresponding expression for F\nabla \cdot \mathbf{F}.

It's probably easier to start from (x,y)=(rcosθ,rsinθ)(x, y) = (r \cos \theta, r \sin \theta). No funny implicit differentiation or inverse functions required here.
Reply 3
Thanks but I still don't know where to go. Do I change F(r,theta) in to a*i + b*j where a and b are some functions of r and theta? (by multiplying out F_r*e_r + F_theta*e_theta with e_r (costheta, sintheta), e_theta = (-sintheta, costheta)? Then find da/dx + db/dy? Or what?
Reply 4
Well, the point is that you need to first express er\mathbf{e}_r and eθ\mathbf{e}_\theta in terms of the standard basis vectors ex\mathbf{e}_x and ey\mathbf{e}_y. You should know this by heart, if you don't, answer below:

Spoiler

Having done, this, you apply the standard formula (aex+bey)=ax+by\displaystyle \nabla \cdot (a \mathbf{e}_x + b \mathbf{e}_y) = \frac{\partial a}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial b}{\partial y}, and then use the chain rule to rewrite it in terms of r\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial r} and θ\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}. (One way to do this is to calculate the Jacobian matrix (x,y)(r,θ)\displaystyle \frac{\partial (x, y)}{\partial (r, \theta)} and invert it. This gives you the expressions you want in the form you need without fiddling with inverse functions.)
Reply 5
Thanks, it came out in the end (using the jacobian way). I'm assuming thats the way to find the general result with any curvilinear co-ordinates?

Quick Reply

Latest