The Student Room Group

Please i need help with firm and insurance choices!!!

Righttt I'm REALLY confused as to what to choose for my firm and insurance choices!
I would love to hear your opinion on these unis and what choices you would go for and why.

My choices are between Uni. of Southampton and Queen Mary University of London to study BSc Psychology for 3 years.

Here is the low down on my dillema:

- Southampton is ranked higher overall and for psychology. It is a also a russel group uni whereas QM is not

- QMUL is ranked much lower in general league tables and doesn't make it to the psychology league tables as it is a new course to the uni

- If i go QM I wouldnt have to live out as i live in London and can enjoy the social life at QM

I have no idea which degree would make me more employable from these unis!!
I'm planning to do a masters after i graduate so does it matter SO much where i go?

Both unis seem great, but i just find the idea of moving out daunting and the costs put me off. I'm also not sure what southampton is like as a city and the night life over there.
I just basically need some guidance from the lovely people on TSR.. help mehhh :smile:

P.S. If you are planning to study or have studied at these unis, let me know what you think/thought of them. Thanks x
Beyond league tables (which are a poor thing to base your decision on), which one do you prefer?
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
Beyond league tables (which are a poor thing to base your decision on), which one do you prefer?

I dont prefer either of them, i like both thats why im so confused!

However i've been on a open day for southampton and got a proper feel of the uni.
With QM i just visited, it wasnt an actual open day so i didnt get an insight into the actual degree programme but from the outline it seems pretty decent.

Its mainly the idea of moving out and leaving my mum (im extremely close to her) and leaving city life behind.
Reply 3
Original post by love_buzz
I dont prefer either of them, i like both thats why im so confused!

However i've been on a open day for southampton and got a proper feel of the uni.
With QM i just visited, it wasnt an actual open day so i didnt get an insight into the actual degree programme but from the outline it seems pretty decent.

Its mainly the idea of moving out and leaving my mum (im extremely close to her) and leaving city life behind.

Go for Southampton, since it's a new course in Queen Mary, and their teaching quality and contents are a bit of a mystery, so you might be better off to go to Southampton in terms of their reputation and future employment. (higher chance of getting into a better uni for Master if you start off with a highly ranked uni!)

Besides, yes, I know it's important to have a close relationship with your family, but you can't live with your mum forever. You need to try to leave independently and going to Southampton will be the best option. Besides, it's not so far to travel from Southampton to London, so you can visit your mum during the holidays. if you are really desperate, you can always ring home or something.

Good luck, hope it helps!
Makes more sense to firm Southampton. The main disadvantage of an insurance is getting a worse/ no pick of accommodation, which won't affect you. It's also a safer bet since it's a well established course.
Are the offers the same?
Reply 5
Original post by chanc04
Go for Southampton, since it's a new course in Queen Mary, and their teaching quality and contents are a bit of a mystery, so you might be better off to go to Southampton in terms of their reputation and future employment. (higher chance of getting into a better uni for Master if you start off with a highly ranked uni!)

Besides, yes, I know it's important to have a close relationship with your family, but you can't live with your mum forever. You need to try to leave independently and going to Southampton will be the best option. Besides, it's not so far to travel from Southampton to London, so you can visit your mum during the holidays. if you are really desperate, you can always ring home or something.

Good luck, hope it helps!

Ahh thanks, your right about everything you said. I guess southamptons reputation and already established teaching will better my chances to get into a good uni for my masters
Reply 6
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
Makes more sense to firm Southampton. The main disadvantage of an insurance is getting a worse/ no pick of accommodation, which won't affect you. It's also a safer bet since it's a well established course.
Are the offers the same?

Yes there both asking for AAB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending