The Student Room Group

Favourite Beers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by py0alb
It's hardly a refreshing alternative to a nice cold beer or cider is it?

Hot day -> thirsty -> long drink required

Afternoon -> all-day drinking -> take it easy, don't drink spirits

Both good reasons not to start knocking back scotch on a sunny afternoon.

It all fairness, it is equally as refreshing, its on ice for gods sake!
No-one knocks back a scotch, the idea is to savour the taste, so it would be the same units as beer per hour (you'd probably knock back about 3 beers in an hour, whereas, about 1 scotch).
Reply 201
Original post by MattyEFC
It all fairness, it is equally as refreshing, its on ice for gods sake!
No-one knocks back a scotch, the idea is to savour the taste, so it would be the same units as beer per hour (you'd probably knock back about 3 beers in an hour, whereas, about 1 scotch).

No, you're still not getting it, which is surprising because its really very simple:
On a hot day you will be thirsty. When you are thirsty, you want lots of liquid to drink. Three pints of lager/cider contains significantly more liquid than a single measure of scotch on the rocks, hence it will slake your thirst more effectively, and hence is a more appropriate drink for the occasion.
hoegaarden rosé
hoegaarden rosé
budweiser
Reply 203
Cumberland ale, guinness and youngers scotch bitter
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 205
Augustiner Edelstoff Vollbräu - Munich
Hoegarden
Asahi
Czech Budweiser, beautiful stuff :smile: unlike the american slosh :fuhrer:

although i must profess to being more of a vodka man myself :colone:
Reply 207
Guiness
Goesser Radler
Green Goblin

(though the last two aren't beers in a strict sense)
Reply 208
Original post by cl_steele
Czech Budweiser, beautiful stuff :smile: unlike the american slosh :fuhrer:

although i must profess to being more of a vodka man myself :colone:

They sold the name Budweiser... it's technically Budwar I think...
Original post by Maxffm
They sold the name Budweiser... it's technically Budwar I think...

how come its still sold as Budweiser though?
Reply 210

From what I know it used to be called Budweiser but the Americans bought it and they've kept as a form of branding but technically it's called Budwar...
Reply 211

Actually I've looked, the name it goes by is Budweiser Budvar... not too be confused with American Budweiser
Original post by Maxffm
Actually I've looked, the name it goes by is Budweiser Budvar... not too be confused with American Budweiser

sorry yar just saw a picture ofthe bottle and so it is, my mistake :smile:
Hoegaarden, Leffe, Corona.

I feel incredibly middle class. :L
Reply 214
A few of my faves:

Doom Bar
Pilsner Urquell
Okocim
Menabrea
L'vivske
Newcastle Brown
Guiness
Reply 215
Tiger Beer.
Reply 216
Original post by ukr-nffc
A few of my faves:

Doom Bar
Pilsner Urquell
Okocim
Menabrea
L'vivske
Newcastle Brown
Guiness

Okocim never fails to remind of sitting in the sun outside a pub in the square in krakow with a pint. Probably the best place I've had a pint.

Usually more of a bitter guy though, particularly partial to Black Sheep, Hobgoblin and Abbot Ale.
Original post by Manitude
Oh the irony of implying one lager is absolutely awful but then citing another virtually identical lager as being one of your favourites :mmm:

Definitely not enough real ale on this thread.

Yes! If a beer isn't cask conditioned it's not worth drinking!

Have you had Sheperd Neame's Early Bird? It's a seasonal beer (spring) and is delicious!
Original post by thefunktopus69
Yes! If a beer isn't cask conditioned it's not worth drinking!

Have you had Sheperd Neame's Early Bird? It's a seasonal beer (spring) and is delicious!

We don't get much from Sheperd Neame in the north west as it's pretty far to transport the kegs from kent. I've only had Bishop's Finger, Spitfire and 1698, and in bottles.
Original post by Manitude
We don't get much from Sheperd Neame in the north west as it's pretty far to transport the kegs from kent. I've only had Bishop's Finger, Spitfire and 1698, and in bottles.

Finger is alright, Spitfire bottled is no good and I've never had 1698. Neame really is lovely but on tap it's on another level!

I don't get many Northern beers coming down here which is a shame as they seem nicely different from what we do get (Fuller's, Neame, Sharp,s...). I might have to make a trip to Sheffield as I've heard it's the best city for real ale in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest