The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Accommodation near Warwick University

Hello everyone,

My friend and I are looking for off campus accommodation near Warwick uni for this coming September because on-campus rent is too high. Would you please suggest me some place /road/area near Warwick uni with safety and nice environment and good transport accessibility to uni ? :smile:

Many thanks
Minnie
Reply 1
Before you immediately dismiss on-campus accommodation for being too expensive, bear in mind that it includes all bills, plus you won't need a bus card. It's also a great experience and I would thoroughly recommend that you go for it if you can.

As for off-campus accommodation, it's hard to say which areas are safe, since I've seen people from various backgrounds having different standards of what is 'safe'.

Generally, the off-campus options available to you are Coventry, Leamington and Kenilworth. If you live in the Canley part of Coventry then you should be able to walk in; for everywhere else you'll need to get the bus.

The main buses going to university are the U1 and the 12. The 12 timetable is at http://nxbus.co.uk/routes/coventry/C012/?timetable%5Bdirection%5D=Leamington%2B-%2BCoventry%2Bvia%2BKenilworth%252C%2BUniversity&timetable%5Bday%5D=monday_-_friday&timetable%5Bstop%5D=&timetable%5Bsubmit%5D=SEARCH#service_timetable_tab and if you click the map view tab you'll see where the route goes so find somewhere near there. If you're in Leamington then you'll get the U1 which has a similar route. The timetable for that is on the Stagecoach website.

Despite being a bit further from the university geographically, many people do live in Leamington and it is a nice area. Coventry isn't the prettiest of areas but that's all a matter of opinion. Kenilworth is a pretty safe area but not many students live there so you might feel a bit isolated.

If there's only two of you in your 'group' so far then you'll need to find some other people to make up a house of 4/5. You can do this on http://www.warwicksu.com/forums/topiclist/630/ Keep checking it regularly until somewhere nice comes up.

Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30611282&postcount=3634 and expand the bottom part of it for more information.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Keep in mind campus accommodation includes absolutely everything paid for, not having to get a bus pass, plus being able to get to things on campus really easily.
Reply 3
I would strongly recommend living on campus - especially first year, if you are a UK student there is a hardship fund available should you then be struggling for money. I really do believe you'll regret it if you live off campus.

Oh, and you can easily feed yourself on £15/week (reduced section at Tesco is fantastic.)
Seeing as you are a Masters student the cheapest on campus accommodation is Tocil at £3588 for 2011/12. Off campus you might expect to pay more over the year, simply because you need a 42+ week let, rather than 39. As a comparison, I paid £2800 this year for off campus accommodation for 42 weeks, with Warwick Accommodation. (Benefits of WA are that there are no management fees/deposits, although there might be a £250 fee since you are doing a Masters - email them to be certain). Additional costs will be gas and electricity, as well as internet (might include water if you go private). This will be around £5/week for gas and electricity and perhaps £5/month in a 4 bed house for internet, if the area is cabled with Virgin Media, or perhaps £10 if you need to get higher speeds/need to use a phone line. In total over 10 months that might be about £250. Additionally, a bus pass (if you are not in Canley - see ttoby's post above) will set you back £250 for the year.

In total you might be able to save £300 compared to going on campus with Tocil. But yeah, this post will probably help you a bit with respect to what's close to campus/bus routes :h:
Reply 5
Hi

For those looking for accommodation at or near to warwick university, may do well to look for help at warwick university 'Student welfare' itself. It is full of helpful unbiased staff who will do their best to point you in the right direction. They also have notice boards whereby accommodation availability has been posted.

Canley is a good option for living near to campus - however if you go too far down charter avenue, the area is not so safe.

Top end of Tile Hill, sometimes known as Canley/Tile Hill near A45 & Sainsbury's is very close and also on no.12 bus route. Mix of families and students alike and therefore quite popular as it 'feels' safe. If you keep to the area near to A45 (coventry road) that runs parallel with Canley, it is easily walkable, lots of shops and transport links and buses are quick, directly into campus.

Earlsdon is a bit further but is very student friendly and generally safe. There are whole houses and separate rooms alike. Close to the city centre side of Earlsdon is also quite popular as it has best of both worlds - close to city, loads of shops, good buses and trains, also close to village of Earlsdon, easy to get to Warwick Uni.

Leamington is also a good choice, especially if you are looking for nightlife. But, remember, catching the bus to uni is a pain and I've heard it can take over 1 hr to get there sometimes even 1.5hrs if weather bad and traffic at its peak. Might be worth living closer to uni and travelling to Leamington for night life if and when you fancy it?

Whatever your budget there is usually something for everyone, bearing in mind that you usually get what you pay for. And if this is going to be your home for nearly a year, then it is certainly a consideration.

Check out that the agency or student union or whoever you talk to about the landlords, ensure they have a good reputation, and that they will deal with any maintenance issues promptly should there be a problem. And also ensure that the property you look at is 5* accredited by coventry council as this will be a good indicator that the landlord conforms with legalities and that the property reaches a good standard.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending