The Student Room Group

Should I leave my Politic degree at Kings to become a Nurse?

Hi, I've been very stressed out by my course at uni because it's so boring and I actually hate it now. When i first applied I was very happy because i really enjoyed studying politics and society. However my course is heavily based on Europe, which i don't mind so much, but theres a lot of history which i just hate so much because it's all about Spain, i mean its a joint honour with spanish, i love spanish, I am fluent but i need help with minor grammar and spelling. so i dont understand why I have to study about spain when i i just wanted to study politics and language, not the politics of the spanish empire, and its depressing because the next 2 years will be the same. In the 3rd year , which is basically september for me, we have to go to spain, originally everyone was meant to go to barcelona but they changed this year an forced every1 to go to madrid because the are closing the link with barcelona!!! 3 of u who pleaded to be allowed to go to barcelona are now the only ones going and the rest will go to madrid. Anway i've been very depressed because i just don't want to leave my family because my dad died last year and i just dont want to be away. In terms of moving onto nursing, I have to say that the thought of it really excites me, i'm also a qualified beauty therapist and i love working with people, although they are bviously very 2 different careers i knw theres something in me that wants to be where people are, helping others and working in a past paced environment. The thought of graduating with a humanities degree in politics and probably working in an office with little excitement but for world affairs bleakens my day! but please any advice would be appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
My friend left her Maths degree to do nursing and she is a lot happier now! : )
If you're definitely sure it's what you want to do then go for it.
Think it over, if you think you'll be happier then do it.
Why not ay?
Best of luck :smile:
Thanks for the comments, also forgot to add that the nursing degree would starting 2012. which means that I would graduate at 25yo, i took a gap year to travel after uni and do my beauty therapy training, do you think ii should take this into consideration?
i mean a gap year BEFORE uni
Reply 5
You shouldn't get stuck in a career you don't want just because you feel you'll be too old when you graduate, if you switch. Go with what makes you happy.
Reply 6
I would think very carefully about this and consider all your options before making a decision - which you're obviously doing by canvassing opinion here. It's easy to get dissillusioned with a degree course, especially as we're heading rapidly towards exam time but my understanding is that you're moving into year 3 in Sept - so you're 2/3rds of the way there - might be a regret to throw it all away for the sake of one more year. One thing that would concern me is how it will look on your CV. A future employer might be inclined to look at you and say - Beauty Therapist, but didn't follow it as a career - 2 years of politics, but didn't stick at it - now wants to be nurse - this is someone who doesn't know what they want to do and will change their mind again in a year. I know that sounds harsh but you need to bear it mind. I'm 51 and studying Law after 2 different and successful careers and the biggest job I have now is justifying changes in career paths. Having said that, I think you're still young enough to get away with saying that it took you time to explore different avenues and find what it was that you really wanted to do in life. Good luck if you decide to change course. If it's what you really want to do I'm sure you'll make it work.
Original post by cliffg
I would think very carefully about this and consider all your options before making a decision - which you're obviously doing by canvassing opinion here. It's easy to get dissillusioned with a degree course, especially as we're heading rapidly towards exam time but my understanding is that you're moving into year 3 in Sept - so you're 2/3rds of the way there - might be a regret to throw it all away for the sake of one more year. One thing that would concern me is how it will look on your CV. A future employer might be inclined to look at you and say - Beauty Therapist, but didn't follow it as a career - 2 years of politics, but didn't stick at it - now wants to be nurse - this is someone who doesn't know what they want to do and will change their mind again in a year. I know that sounds harsh but you need to bear it mind. I'm 51 and studying Law after 2 different and successful careers and the biggest job I have now is justifying changes in career paths. Having said that, I think you're still young enough to get away with saying that it took you time to explore different avenues and find what it was that you really wanted to do in life. Good luck if you decide to change course. If it's what you really want to do I'm sure you'll make it work.

Thank you for your reply.

I actually did my beauty therapy nvq before i went to teach english in china, so i finished a levels in june 2008, did nvq 2 between august and december, went china in february 2009 and came back for uni in sept 2009. I did this nvq because i was working in a salon part time as receptionist thorugh out a levels, not because i want to be a beauty therapist. What the nvq has allowed me to do is to set up my own beauty business, providing students with affordable beauty treatments, my website is called www.beautyoncampus.com I thought about this before going to kings, as i didnt want to work on a shop floor etc and wanted to manage my own hours whilst at uni so that it wouldnt affect my studies, hence the reason why i had to be qualified before going to uni in order to be insured etc. Politic was the natural thing to advance into since i studied humanities subject at A levels and thoroughly enjoyed my time. Perhaps the fact that i have real people skills and the ability to learn well academically, along with my experience of one-to-one contact with clients and also with teaching children I think has shaped my understanding of what i would excel at career wise. the skills i've gained through beauty and teaching, and the academic skills from my 2 years at Kings I think combine perfectly to go into a career in Nursing. Nursing would also allow me to train for procedures that compliment the beauty side such as botox for example. I want to be able to make the best of my skills and my interest and I think that maybe I would regret continuing this Politics degree just to make others happy and just to finish for the sake of it. BUT please do give me your thoughts on it i really appreciate it.
also its a 4 year course, so im in my 2nd year and still have 2 more to go
I'd say go for the nursing option, you sound like you'd be a lot happier doing it :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by pinkgiraffesocks
Thanks for the comments, also forgot to add that the nursing degree would starting 2012. which means that I would graduate at 25yo, i took a gap year to travel after uni and do my beauty therapy training, do you think ii should take this into consideration?

You would still be one of the younger students to graduate, I believe the average age of nursing students at the moment is 28, there are people at my uni who are in their 30's, 40's and even 50's. Nursing will be a very different course, and the workload is pretty heavy at times, along with clinical placement but it can be very rewarding. Try chatting to some of their lecturers or some current nursing students on the course you are thinking of doing.
It sounds like you have already made your mind up to be honest.
A lot of people go into nursing as a second career in their 30s and 40s so don't worry about your age.
You could always consider the two year nursing postgraduate course. I think Kings does it, Southampton does as well.
Sounds like a good idea, once you know for sure that you want to be a nurse! Maybe try some clinical work experience (if you haven't already)? Not only to find out if you'd definitely enjoy nursing but also to make your application onto the nursing degree look better.

I've taken the decision to leave my rather unfulfilling job and study nursing starting september 2012 - it took a lot to come to that decision - volunteering, work experience and i'm doing volunteering once a week at a local palliative care hospice - i guess the best thing i can say from my experience is to not rush these decisions and do everything you can to add personal experiences to your personal statement if you decide to go for it.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by pinkgiraffesocks

I took a gap year after my A-levels and went onto Uni to train to become a Primary School teacher in 2009...I dropped out after the first year because it made me so depressed and I realised that I didn't want to do. I didn't have a plan after dropping out, so I decided to have my old job back as a TA in a secondary school. I'm now going back to Uni in September to study occupational therapy. I'll be 24 by the time I graduate- and although it bothers me slightly that I'll be older then some of the students there, I just have to keep reminding myself that I will probably have a lot more experience then lots of them.

There really is no point in doing staying on at Uni and studying something that you don't like; its a waste of money, especially if you're not going to use your degree after. I think you should take the plunge and train to become a Nurse- you're obviously a people person!

Go on..be brave :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Katrina-Jane
I'll be 24 by the time I graduate- and although it bothers me slightly that I'll be older then some of the students there, I just have to keep reminding myself that I will probably have a lot more experience then lots of them.

Chances are you will still be one of the younger students. Like I said in my previous post, the average age for nursing students is about 28, and its similar in most other students studying allied health professions. Theyre not like other uni courses where people go straight to them at 18 after doing A levels, a lot of mature students are attracted to these courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending