The Student Room Group

subjunctive help french please??!!

Hey guys- if you have the subjunctive in one part of sentence does rest of sentence have to be subjunctive as well?

eg- which sentenc eis correct:-

Alors même qu’il soit cru qu’il était transporté....

or

alors même qu’il soit cru qu’il fut transporté....

can anybody help??
Reply 1
Hey guys- if you have the subjunctive in one part of sentence does rest of sentence have to be subjunctive as well?

eg- which sentenc eis correct:-

Alors même qu’il soit cru qu’il était transporté....

or

alors même qu’il soit cru qu’il fut transporté....

can anybody help??
Reply 2
I think it's just the first part of the sentence which takes the subjunctive coz the "que" makes it a new clause so to me, the one with 'etait' in would be right. I'm not positive, though. Try asking your French teacher, or if you have a French assistant at school they might help. I could ask mine on Monday if you like, but I dunno if that will be too late :smile:
Bottekrank
I think it's just the first part of the sentence which takes the subjunctive coz the "que" makes it a new clause so to me, the one with 'etait' in would be right. I'm not positive, though. Try asking your French teacher, or if you have a French assistant at school they might help. I could ask mine on Monday if you like, but I dunno if that will be too late :smile:

Yeah, I think that's right as well. Only the first verb after the expression needing the subjunctive takes it, then the rest of the sentence takes the indicative as usual unless you introduce a new subjunctive phrase.
Or unless the first verb after the *subjunctivator* isn't the verb that needs *subjunctorising* -

e.g. "il faut que ceux qui sont en terminale fassent..." au lieu de "il faut que ceux qui soient"...because "sont" is part of the subject, i.e. those who are in yr 13
Reply 5
Duck and Cover
Or unless the first verb after the *subjunctivator* isn't the verb that needs *subjunctorising* -

e.g. "il faut que ceux qui sont en terminale fassent..." au lieu de "il faut que ceux qui soient"...because "sont" is part of the subject, i.e. those who are in yr 13

The 'qui sont...' is a new clause which although dependant on the first, is not gramatically-dependant, if that makes any sense. Therefore the sub-clasue 'qui sont...' remains in the indicative mood and only the ONE verb which is directly linked to what so aptly named the "subunctivator" changes to the subjunctive. In other words:
"il faut que ceux qui sont en terminale fassent..." is correct and no the latter sugestion.
maclin
The 'qui sont...' is a new clause which although dependant on the first, is not gramatically-dependant, if that makes any sense. Therefore the sub-clasue 'qui sont...' remains in the indicative mood and only the ONE verb which is directly linked to what so aptly named the "subunctivator" changes to the subjunctive. In other words:
"il faut que ceux qui sont en terminale fassent..." is correct and no the latter sugestion.

...which is what Duck and Cover said...

Latest

Trending

Trending