The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

muslim catered students at LEEDS; do they have any halal options??

so im trying to decide which accom to apply for and weather catered or non-catered. if any muslim students at leeds who can help me out here, i want to know weather they serve any halal meat for catered students.

thanks
"Catered accommodation

We have a range of accommodation for you to choose from - modern multi-storey blocks on large sites, smaller older buildings on campus, and everything in between!

If you don't want to cook for yourself and like to know that meals will be ready for you at specific times of the day, catered accommodation might suit you best. We have two types of catered accommodation: traditional catered facilities can be found in Bodington Hall and Devonshire Hall, where meals are served in residences in the dining hall. Bodington Hall serves breakfast and an evening meal Monday to Friday, brunch and an evening meal on Saturdays and lunch on Sundays. Devonshire Hall serves breakfast and an evening meal Monday to Friday, and then brunch and an evening meal at the weekends. Students in catered halls on campus (i.e. Charles Morris, Ellerslie and Lyddon), receive a Campus Meal Plan Card with which you can 'purchase' meals from the newly refurbished Refectory, next to the Union. The meal card enables you to purchase breakfast and an evening meal Monday to Friday and brunch at weekends. This method offers you more flexibility in terms of what you eat and when and gives you the chance to mingle with students from outside your own hall. Further information on the Campus Meal Plan Card can be found here. All our catered residences (including Bodington and Devonshire) also have shared kitchen facilities to enable you to make a snack or light meal.

Most catered residences have a number of 'formal' meals each year. There's no extra cost for formal dinners and you don't have to attend if you don't want to, but they're usually fun events.

There's at least one vegetarian option at each meal and when beef or pork dishes are on the menu an alternative is always made available. Unfortunately we're not able to serve Halal, kosher or vegan food; during Ramadan we can provide food for you to eat after sunset. If you have special dietary requirements (e.g. diabetes) or food allergy, we will try to help, but if you are very specific about the kind of food you like to eat, you may be more suited to self-catering accommodation."

Taken from Leeds University website - http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation/halls.html

If you have specific dietary needs they recommend that you go self catered and they try and group you in a flat with people who have similar diets if you specify this on your accommodation application form in the "other" box:

"Self-catering accommodation

We have a range of accommodation for you to choose from - modern multi-storey blocks on large sites, converted Victorian town houses, and everything in between.

You'll share kitchen facilities with a small number of other residents. We provide cookers, fridges, freezers etc but you should bring your own pans and crockery. Alternatively, you can purchase an Essential Kitchen Pack which provides the basic cooking and eating utensils, and can be placed in your room before you arrive. For more information on what's included, and to apply for a pack, click here.

If you follow a vegan, kosher or Halal diet, it's good to let us know when you apply - that way we can try to find you flatmates with similar diets."

Taken from Leeds University wesbite - http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation/flats.html
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
"Catered accommodation

We have a range of accommodation for you to choose from - modern multi-storey blocks on large sites, smaller older buildings on campus, and everything in between!

If you don't want to cook for yourself and like to know that meals will be ready for you at specific times of the day, catered accommodation might suit you best. We have two types of catered accommodation: traditional catered facilities can be found in Bodington Hall and Devonshire Hall, where meals are served in residences in the dining hall. Bodington Hall serves breakfast and an evening meal Monday to Friday, brunch and an evening meal on Saturdays and lunch on Sundays. Devonshire Hall serves breakfast and an evening meal Monday to Friday, and then brunch and an evening meal at the weekends. Students in catered halls on campus (i.e. Charles Morris, Ellerslie and Lyddon), receive a Campus Meal Plan Card with which you can 'purchase' meals from the newly refurbished Refectory, next to the Union. The meal card enables you to purchase breakfast and an evening meal Monday to Friday and brunch at weekends. This method offers you more flexibility in terms of what you eat and when and gives you the chance to mingle with students from outside your own hall. Further information on the Campus Meal Plan Card can be found here. All our catered residences (including Bodington and Devonshire) also have shared kitchen facilities to enable you to make a snack or light meal.

Most catered residences have a number of 'formal' meals each year. There's no extra cost for formal dinners and you don't have to attend if you don't want to, but they're usually fun events.

There's at least one vegetarian option at each meal and when beef or pork dishes are on the menu an alternative is always made available. Unfortunately we're not able to serve Halal, kosher or vegan food; during Ramadan we can provide food for you to eat after sunset. If you have special dietary requirements (e.g. diabetes) or food allergy, we will try to help, but if you are very specific about the kind of food you like to eat, you may be more suited to self-catering accommodation."

Taken from Leeds University website - http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation/halls.html

If you have specific dietary needs they recommend that you go self catered and they try and group you in a flat with people who have similar diets if you specify this on your accommodation application form in the "other" box:

"Self-catering accommodation

We have a range of accommodation for you to choose from - modern multi-storey blocks on large sites, converted Victorian town houses, and everything in between.

You'll share kitchen facilities with a small number of other residents. We provide cookers, fridges, freezers etc but you should bring your own pans and crockery. Alternatively, you can purchase an Essential Kitchen Pack which provides the basic cooking and eating utensils, and can be placed in your room before you arrive. For more information on what's included, and to apply for a pack, click here.

If you follow a vegan, kosher or Halal diet, it's good to let us know when you apply - that way we can try to find you flatmates with similar diets."

Taken from Leeds University wesbite - http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation/flats.html

thanks for that info. :smile:

but i just spoke to a staff at from leeds refectory dep, and he said that all chicken are halal and most lamb are but the food is not prepared specfically as halal, so im not sure weather to go for it or not, this is why i wanted an opinion from a muslim student who is catered.
Original post by topboim

but i just spoke to a staff at from leeds refectory dep, and he said that all chicken are halal and most lamb are but the food is not prepared specfically as halal, so im not sure weather to go for it or not, this is why i wanted an opinion from a muslim student who is catered.

Ahh :wink: fair enough, sorry can't help further then!
Reply 4
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Ahh :wink: fair enough, sorry can't help further then!

:smile: but thanks for those information tho x
Original post by topboim

Maybe try asking a scholar first?
Reply 6
Original post by obviouslystudying
Maybe try asking a scholar first?

LOL i wouldnt go that far with it. i just wanted to know if any muslim catered student have meat at leeds uni.
Original post by topboim
LOL i wouldnt go that far with it. i just wanted to know if any muslim catered student have meat at leeds uni.

I think that you shouldnt just look and follow what some random (supposedly) muslim does, and should consult a scholar if you want to know the Islamic stance on the matter, especially since its mentioned

Unfortunately we're not able to serve Halal, kosher or vegan food

There maybe other ways it could be haram, not just the way meat is slaughtered and processed.

Just an opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest