The Student Room Group

Trapezium Rule

Can someone please help with this...

Using the trapezium rule with 5 ordinates, find an approximate value for:

Int(between pi/3 and 0) (1/1+ tanx) dx
Reply 1
5 ordinates means 4 intervals. What specifically are you stuck on? Have you worked out the values of x you need to evaluate the function at?
Reply 2
Original post by nuodai
5 ordinates means 4 intervals. What specifically are you stuck on? Have you worked out the values of x you need to evaluate the function at?

Just integrating the (1/1+tanx) bit...

I've turned it into 1 / ( 1 + sinx/cosx) dx...but then I don't know what to do :s
Reply 3
Original post by mc_ragz

I've turned it into 1 / ( 1 + sinx/cosx) dx...but then I don't know what to do :s

You don't integrate when using the trapezium rule... that's kind of the point of using the trapezium rule.
Reply 4
Original post by mc_ragz

This is a trapezium rule question, not a direct integration question; you don't integrate and evaluate, you estimate (using the trapezium rule).

This integral can be evaluated directly, but not at C2 level.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
ok so I just realised how stupid I was being, thanks for pointing it out for me guys lol..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mc_ragz
Oh yeah :s but how do I do this question :s I'm stuck...

The trapezium rule states that

abf(x)dx=ba2n(y0+2y1+2y2++2yn1+yn)\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x)\, dx = \dfrac{b-a}{2n} ( y_0 + 2y_1 + 2y_2 + \cdots + 2y_{n-1} + y_n)

where you split the interval a<x<ba<x<b into nn even strips, where yk=f(xk)y_k = f(x_k) is your function evaluated between each strip.

You should already know how to use the trapezium rule if you've been set a question on it. Look at your textbook if you're still confused -- this question is no different to any others.

Quick Reply

Latest