The Student Room Group

Best university for Economics

I want to become an investment banker.

I just watched Inside Job and it really showed me that it is the way forward to a fairer society and the industry is the best thing for making a living in and is incorruptible, the academics don't have conflicts of interest with the boards they sit on either.

What universities have close ties with Banks and investment companies in the UK?
(edited 12 years ago)
I imagine LSE's quite good.

Considering it has 'Economics' in its name. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Well I'm glad that you have no genuine interest in economics and want to study it at uni
Reply 3
Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Nottingham is pretty good...
Reply 4
Top 5 unis for Econ. You're better off doing a Maths degree if you wanna make the monies as a trader.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick
Reply 6
Warwick the's best

haters gona hate
Original post by chrislpp
I want to become an investment banker.

I just watched Inside Job and it really showed me that it is the way forward to a fairer society and the industry is the best thing for making a living in and is incorruptible, the academics don't have conflicts of interest with the boards they sit on either.

SOAS
Reply 8
In no particular order: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, York, Durham, Bath, Bristol, St Andrews...
Reply 9
Original post by sqwerty
Well I'm glad that you have no genuine interest in economics and want to study it at uni

This. Guys like OP are so annoying.
Original post by SebCross
In no particular order: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, York, Durham, Bath, Bristol, St Andrews...

the ones in bold aren't the 'best' which is what the OP asked for...

there's a big gap between the ones in bold and the ones that are underlined.
Original post by Datbreh
Top 5 unis for Econ. You're better off doing a Maths degree if you wanna make the monies as a trader.

naturally i agree with you... maths>econ :smile:
University of Manchester. hehe Good links with PWC I heard. I heard Warwick has very close tie with Accenture. They are just things that I have heard at work.

Errmmm I think LSE, OxBridge are among the best unis for Economics
Reply 13
Original post by I smell like maths

Original post by I smell like maths
the ones in bold aren't the 'best' which is what the OP asked for...

there's a big gap between the ones in bold and the ones that are underlined.

I'm sure you're right. I'm no expert on the Economics department's reputations at different uni's since I'm an English Literature student. My brother's reading Economics at York, though.
lol at all the replies

You don't realise the OP was trolling?

Inside Job is a film which highlights the conflicts of interest between some academic economists and the banks with which they are involved. So he was probably making a point that certain universities who have links with the IB sector, and are targeted (mainly in the US) will be the type who produce academic research which is favourable to the form of policy direction down which investment banks want to go.
Reply 15
Original post by MagicNMedicine
lol at all the replies

You don't realise the OP was trolling?

Inside Job is a film which highlights the conflicts of interest between some academic economists and the banks with which they are involved. So he was probably making a point that certain universities who have links with the IB sector, and are targeted (mainly in the US) will be the type who produce academic research which is favourable to the form of policy direction down which investment banks want to go.

Would that not apply more to Business schools?
Original post by danny111
Would that not apply more to Business schools?

I haven't actually watched Inside Job so I'm not sure who is on it. However I think the general argument is that in the USA certain universities have been associated with promoting certain schools of thought (eg Chicago).

I know this is a separate issue to promoting IB interests, but look at how the IMF and World Bank take their policy ideological lead from the 'Washington consensus' type of academia, ie long term growth prospects are promoted by deregulating markets. You could extend that to asking the question whether much of the current (or pre-crisis) academic consensus of pro-financial sector, heavily mathematical oriented economics suited the banking sector.
Reply 17
Original post by the_neg_master_

I heard Warwick has very close tie with Accenture. They are just things that I have heard at work.

...and the more they have a very close tie with UBS.
As a matter of fact, UBS recruits many more Warwick grads than from any uni in the UK. That claim came from Warwick and a UBS official.

Here's the exact words from Tobias Wagnert, the Executive Director of UBS Investment Banking:

Tobias Wagnert commented afterwards, "As a leading global investment bank, recruiting the best graduates is critical for our continued success. We are very excited about our strong relationship with the University of Warwick, which is one of our key target universities in Europe. In 2010 our Investment Banking Department recruited more graduates from the University of Warwick than from any other university in the UK."

http://www.wbs.ac.uk/news/releases/2010/11/19/WBS/undergraduates/win

As to the thread's question:

Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick and UCL
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
For investment banking go to any of Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, UCL or LSE.

Alternatively, study a subject that you have a genuine interest in!
Bangor.

Quick Reply

Latest