The Student Room Group

Closed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
.How does it look to top firms?

If you are asking that you already know the answer!
Reply 2
I would choose Royal Holloway. I went to the City and QMUL Comp Science open day and both were pretty bad compared to Royal Holloways presentation.
Reply 3
Royal Holloway would be the best choice, for obvious reasons as well as the one mentioned above.
Reply 4
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by taliman
I would choose Royal Holloway. I went to the City and QMUL Comp Science open day and both were pretty bad compared to Royal Holloways presentation.

Agreed with this, although I think QMUL wasn't bad as such, just RHUL seemed much better. City on the other hand struck me as a bit of a dive compared to either of those two. Honestly the whole operation seemed a little 'mickey mouse', especially when they started promoting the fact that they skip over some hard theoretical/mathematical bits of computer science in favour of what they described as 'skills you need in the workplace'.
Reply 6
Original post by GFX-K
I don't understand what you mean? :s:

Also, what is the salary would you think graduates from the uni's above would be earning? :confused:

Now you are just being stupid :confused:

You asked it beacuse you doubt your degree will get you top job which is true! top firms do not target people from your univeristy!

Does anyone disagree?

I'm not saying you don't have chances cause everyone has chances, but chances are your application will be filtered out!

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/degree.do

And that provides you with average salaries for Degrees in different locations
Original post by FinalMH
Now you are just being stupid :confused:

You asked it beacuse you doubt your degree will get you top job which is true! top firms do not target people from your univeristy!

Does anyone disagree?

I'm not saying you don't have chances cause everyone has chances, but chances are your application will be filtered out!

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/degree.do

And that provides you with average salaries for Degrees in different locations

I'm sure a number of Royal Holloway graduates would beg to differ.
Reply 8
Original post by SchadenfreudeDude
I'm sure a number of Royal Holloway graduates would beg to differ.

and i'm given unbiased opinion!

And a more realistic opinion! considering your implying that everyone from Royal Holloway can get top job!
Original post by FinalMH
and i'm given unbiased opinion!

And a more realistic opinion! considering your implying that everyone from Royal Holloway can get top job!

For the OP's course, Royal Holloway is in the top twenty. In faaar more competitive fields like law, a top twenty degree could lead you to a top firm.
Reply 10
For the OP's course, Royal Holloway is in the top twenty. In faaar more competitive fields like law, a top twenty degree could lead you to a top firm.

:confused: I'm confused are we talking about law? You do known what course the OP whats to go into? (RHUL is 20 for Computer Science based on the Guardian)

And to correct you, major law firms (the top 5) wouldn't employee everyone from RHUL, may be a few but not a lot of them. (outside the top 5)

All information has been based on surveys released by companies about the course they are not 100% correct and may differ IRL circumstances. As i said in my OP i said that their is chances but it wasn't high.

I would like to stress that i'm not talking about getting job as a whole i m talking about MAJOR firms.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FinalMH
:confused: I'm confused are we talking about law? You do known what course the OP whats to go into?

And to correct you, major law firms (the top 5) wouldn't employee everyone from RHUL, may be a few but not a lot of them.

We're talking about IT. A far less competitive field than law.

And to correct you, Royal Holloway doesn't even have a law school. :smile:

Fair enough, though. Maybe you've got some insight into employment and all that.

I wouldn't know.
Reply 12

Fair enough, though. Maybe you've got some insight into employment and all that.

I wouldn't know.

I didn't know if they did, i thought u implied they did. sorry :smile:
Reply 13

I wouldn't know.

IT and Computer Science are COMPLETELY different in their own respects.
Original post by taliman
IT and Computer Science are COMPLETELY different in their own respects.

Fair enough. I didn't know that.

I'm not involved in the field, I'm just assuming that RHUL's prospects in computer science are good as the course is ranked in the top twenty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending