Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sports journalism

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Not really had many ideas of a career path but am now thinking of going into sports journalism. Could probably gain experience writing some football match reports for a local club but what a levels are recommended.
    I am thinking of taking : Government and Politics, English language, Economics and one more subject as then I also may be able to write on current affairs. Would media be a good option? As that also can be good for marketing and economics for business (another backup).
    Also any tips for getting in to sports journalism?

Many thanks in advance.

Note to admins: Also posted in university forums but feel this is more appropriate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I might replace English Language with English Lit

Tips: work experience, work experience, work experience
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chazzap)
    Hey guys,
    Not really had many ideas of a career path but am now thinking of going into sports journalism. Could probably gain experience writing some football match reports for a local club but what a levels are recommended.
    I am thinking of taking : Government and Politics, English language, Economics and one more subject as then I also may be able to write on current affairs. Would media be a good option? As that also can be good for marketing and economics for business (another backup).
    Also any tips for getting in to sports journalism?

Many thanks in advance.

Note to admins: Also posted in university forums but feel this is more appropriate.
    (Original post by crazybored)
    I might replace English Language with English Lit

Tips: work experience, work experience, work experience
    The above would be a good start. Apart from that, your other subjects are fine (I take them myself ), perhaps with the addition of History? Modern History and English Literature are excellent degrees for journalism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought English Language would be better as isn't that more for words and isn't literature more analysing. I could do History as well I think although I am worried it may be similar (in terms of lesson style to G+P). Fair enough though. Do you guys have knowledge of the profession then? By experience would that be sort of writing for a club website and programme and then maybe a local newspaper (there is a community one for my town).

Thanks a lot guys!
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought English Language would be better as isn't that more for words and isn't literature more analysing. I could do History as well I think although I am worried it may be similar (in terms of lesson style to G+P). Fair enough though. Do you guys have knowledge of the profession then? By experience would that be sort of writing for a club website and programme and then maybe a local newspaper (there is a community one for my town).

Thanks a lot guys!
    English language will be more beneficial to you. English lit will teach you about selected poetry and plays. English language will teach you about words, how words work and genuinely how to use (or not use) it to your advantage. English lit is interesting, yes, but that's about it in terms of its usefulness in actual life if you're interested in language/linguistics sorts of pursuits like journalism. A lot of people consider lit to be "better" than language because more schools offer it and its more generally known as the English A level, but I'd say a lot of those people (including teachers, in my experience) have no idea of what English language at A level entails as it is totally different to GCSE. G&P (or history, if you take that) will prove that you can write essays, use sources and be analytical which is what lit provides you with whereas language will give you more.

For reference, I did both lit and language at A level as I knew I loved English but I didn't know which one. I have an interest in lit and enjoyed it, but language was what I loved (I went on to study linguistics at university) and has been much more useful to my actual life. I'm now a teacher and returned to studies I looked at in A level English language time and time again whilst doing my teacher training, as you cover a lot of sociology/social science aspects of language such as child language acquisition and then also look at things like gender, class, power etc in language... which will be useful in journalism. You do a language investigation in the A2 year where you do a study on an area of language of interest to you, so you could do something relating to sports journalism. In sum, I've found English language to be much more useful during my degree and in my career. Lit was interesting, I really enjoyed it and got As in both of them but I can't say I've discussed the merits of Byron since doing my A2 exam whereas I think and use what I did in English language on a day to day basis, which is pretty good going given I was doing my A2s this time five years ago.

My younger brother is interested in sports journalism too, he is doing his AS levels at the moment and has a similar mix to you. He writes articles for the local paper and has been published as the 'away fan's opinion' writer in several other newspapers and football match programmes. With your 4th subject, I'd just advise you to do something that interests you. Sociology might be an option if you're interested in people and what they think/do, but history is also a good option. Whatever you're interested in really
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks, could look into sociology or psychology as a fourth? Is media a good choice as that's what I may aim to work in, or is it not that good a choice? I will definitely pick something interesting as that's what I've done with my subjects, wanna enjoy college. I looked at language and learning how people learn to speak languages and such sounds enthralling.
    Best of luck to your brother in the field.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Thanks a lot guys!
    I've been working as a journalist on a financial magazine for 2 years, and have seen how CVs are assessed when they come in, and there definitely seems to be a preference for English Lit over Lang - but study what you think you'd enjoy; assuming you're not planning on studying English Lit at uni, I doubt it should hold you back too much, assuming the rest of your CV looks good.

R.e. work experience, anything that shows evidence of a passion for journalism is good - a lot of the people you'll eventually be sending your CV to will be old school journalists and so, while blogs etc are fine, nothing beats spending a couple of weeks in an actual newsroom. Writing for student publications always looks good too.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is the field of work I want to go into after much thought

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.