The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Middlesex uni Platt halls...

Hey I'm starting Middlesex in September (Hendon Campus) just wondering peoples opinions on halls. I'm thinking Platt halls. xxx:colondollar:
I've put Platt down as my first choice, although I've not physically been to see them, just seen the photos on the MDX website. I've looked around Usher though and really didnt like it. Usher is set out in a corridor style whereas Platt is in flats.
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 2
I don't go to Middlesex, but I have lived and worked in the area for over 30 years, and I went to school down the road.

If neither of you have been there, or are from the area - then go with USHER AND DO NOT LOOK BACK.

Some of Platt is physically dead nice (one of the buildings is a listed building, and used to be the Sergeant's Mess when the site was RAF Hendon.

But it's at the bottom of an f-ing steep hill. And you won't want to walk up that hill all the time for all the facilities etc.

Most of all - the area is essentially Grahame Park. That's a very bad area indeed. Don't be fooled by the proximity of the RAF Museum, Hendon Police College and the Police HQ - the area is a total s***hole, and houses some extremely low quality people. Shops are few and far between - the Tesco on site is like the Wild West in the evening.

Usher Hall is right next to the Hendon campus, and is a much better area all round - in fact, it's really quite smart. Shops, restaurants etc are right on the doorstep and there are banks and post office etc at Brent Street, and it's only about 15 mins walk to Brent Cross for shopping / employment.

Believe me when I tell you this - you do not want to be living in Grahame Park. It's worth a lot more than £10 a week to be in the better halls.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you very much both of you!! This has been very helpful. Thank you again. xxx
what halls did you go for in the end? im looking at applying to start September 2012!
I am currently living in Usher Halls. Although it is convenient, super social, and i really nice place to live first year, I don't think it is worth it purely because you feel like you cant do anything without being watched. Security is very tight so you might have a problem bringing in friends (if caught). Noise complaints are pretty constant if you are awake most of the late night like myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending