The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Blorcyn
Well, it's not Durham City but you can get there pretty easily, and to be honest I find a lot of the city colleges can be quite pretentious. There can be snobbery to QC students but as a medic, if you're inclined, you can whip that out and so it's not a problem for us like other courses here.

On the campus itself, off the top of my head, I think we do biomed, psychology, business courses, anthropology and medicine. Because of that, and with Phase 1 being only two years, there isn't quite the medic cliquishness that I believe you find at universities without our unique situation.

The college is a big influence when you live in halls and, like most collegiate universities, really makes you feel part of a collective that will attend to your pastoral care. It can be a bit demanding, (read: e-mail & flyer bombardment) but you feel more than just another number.

Living in Stephenson you don't really have to wander anywhere to get to the main academic facilities, and 9-5 this is really useful, but with Snow you may feel a little more on the periphery (but the area in between is quite professional).

The campus itself feels like a student village, isolated from Stockton. We have a river sweeping around one side, and to the south a grass rise that blocks out the railway line and Middlesbrough, making it feel like its own little place. I mention this only because it's a really noticeable change in atmosphere from the surrounding area that flatmates and I have commented on several times.

Stockton specifically, well really you should address Stockton and Middlesbrough as the divide seems to be the river. Stockton is a typical northern town - some nicer areas, some less nice areas. However, the actual High Street and town centre is, in my opinion, really pleasant. The people can, admittedly, seem a bit rough, but the style of buildings and the layout reminds me a lot of Harrogate or York. Middlesbrough on the other hand is slightly more industrial. A little harder to get to, it's a bit bigger and of course you'll travel through and to it frequently over the course of your med degree as it sites James Cook UH.

I hope this answers your question somewhat. Of course, I may appear very biased but that's because I am and it's a very subjective answer. Before I came, I was somewhat worried after reading some of the things said about the satellite nature of the campus and its situation in Stockton. Now that I'm here, well, I love it.

(I did spend the previous years of my education in Wolverhampton though, so there is that =P )

Excellent answer, thank you. Your description outlines a few appealing aspects I hadn't previously considered; I really would like to avoid the medic clique culture which seems to dominate many schools, I've never understood why someone would want to spend all of their time exclusively with people studying the same course. Having been to a small University for my first degree I'm quite attracted to the collegiate system also, it's nice when you know most of the people you meet in the student bar by name.

I'm from the North East myself so I'm not too worried about getting used to a small Northern town, and if Stockton looks anything like York or Harrogate it must be quite an attractive place (I have to say I was expecting something more of the post-industrial-and-still-not-quite-regenerated type). I don't really know Middlebrough but I've heard that it's a lot nicer than it's reputation was North of the Tyne (which wouldn't be too difficult admittedly ha).

Thanks again for the info, I wasn't expecting such depth - much appreciated.
Reply 121
Does anyone know when they give you a reply after interview in terms of offers/rejections?
Original post by Daave92
Does anyone know when they give you a reply after interview in terms of offers/rejections?

I think it's around the month of March... Not before March though.
Reply 123
Original post by Daave92

2nd week of March.
Original post by Daave92

Original post by Daave92
Were there any other interviewees there with you? It gives me the impression that the don't have a lot of interviewees on one particular day haha.

Yeah I can imagine the good cop bad cop thing, one is probably there to put you off and see how you respond. Did they tell you when you would hear back about the results of the interview?

When i got there there was just me, so i asked the admissions woman about it - (Helen, was really cool!) and she said they do 4 to 8 interviews a day throughout the interview period. I was there for a well before the interview, and for about an hour after having a look around and didn't see anyone else.

Yeah that is definitely the idea i think, it was all good fun! :s-smilie: They didn't, but i remember reading somewhere is march?
Reply 125
Just got the interview phone call today! Hadn't though that they would be contacting anyone else until after christmas.

Is 'fulfil main life goal' an acceptable new year's resolution?
Reply 126
Original post by MusicNow
Just got the interview phone call today! Hadn't though that they would be contacting anyone else until after christmas.

Is 'fulfil main life goal' an acceptable new year's resolution?

Got a call today too :smile:
Jan 24th
Reply 127
Original post by mp13983
Got a call today too :smile:
Jan 24th

Cool, that's the same day as mine. I'm at 11:30, I'll be the one putting on a brave front...

I think in some ways I'm glad I got a later interview actually, although the wait was stressful at least the post interview and possibly more stressful wait is reduced.
INTERVIEW!!!! International applicant from Canada :smile: on Jan 25 2012 :biggrin: SO HAPPYYYYY
Reply 129
Congrats on all the interviews : ]. What was your UKCAT scores if you dont mind?
could we have a poll which the ukcat of the people who got offered an interview please? I think it would make it a lot easier, rather than everyone being asked individually :smile:
Reply 131
Original post by Med_Geek
could we have a poll which the ukcat of the people who got offered an interview please? I think it would make it a lot easier, rather than everyone being asked individually :smile:

Have a look at the Newcastle's thread; Durham and Newcastle share the same UKCAT cut-off. :smile: The lowest UKCAT invited to an interview is 665 (it's actually down by 2.5 from last year) according to the Stalking Page, so far.
Original post by Panda89
Have a look at the Newcastle's thread; Durham and Newcastle share the same UKCAT cut-off. :smile: The lowest UKCAT invited to an interview is 665 (it's actually down by 2.5 from last year) according to the Stalking Page, so far.

ooh ok cool thank you :biggrin:
Original post by doctork2
INTERVIEW!!!! International applicant from Canada :smile: on Jan 25 2012 :biggrin: SO HAPPYYYYY

Are you going to Durham for the interview? OR are you planning to take it online?
I just received an interview offer few minutes ago ^^ and I want to ask them if it is possible to do it online.
Original post by histephenson007
Are you going to Durham for the interview? OR are you planning to take it online?
I just received an interview offer few minutes ago ^^ and I want to ask them if it is possible to do it online.

I'm going to fly there... and there goes my summer paycheque LOL
Reply 135
Just got an interview for February 3rd!
Original post by doctork2
I'm going to fly there... and there goes my summer paycheque LOL

I know I know. I know exactly how that feels. But hope you have a good trip ;p
interview on 3rd of february

but I'll have to fly there :frown:
Its really a stretch to call me there for the interview, I live in Malaysia, its quite a long way (and a whole lotta money) to get there for an interview, where they will only take in 7 of the international applicants T.T

you gotta do what you gotta do, i guess
do they only call for interviews? or do you get an email/letter too? Because i haven't exactly been picking up the house phone :s-smilie:
Reply 139
Original post by Master S P
do they only call for interviews? or do you get an email/letter too? Because i haven't exactly been picking up the house phone :s-smilie:

AFAIK, as they call to invite you, yes. I think the phone number is the one you put down on your UCAS form. I didn't put a house phone number, only mobile. Helen should be the one who calls and she'll arrange a date that would be suitable for you (well, she did with me anyway). After that, she'll send you a letter by post in which you should receive within a week which outlines the venue and documentations for the interview, as well as a college selection form (John Snow or Stephenson) which you'll have to fax or post to them.

Quick Reply

Latest