The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Panda89
I've checked the Stalker Page for Newcastle and the lowest score for interview was 665 (no interview for 660, and no one had 662.5). Quite surprised that it's actually down by 2.5 from last year.

I reckon that the increase in tuition fees must have caused a surge in applications last year, particularly from students who would otherwise have taken a gap year. Hence fewer applicants this cycle (indicated by the lower UKCAT cutoffs pretty much across the board). Hopefully all bodes well for our chances....
Reply 161
Original post by MusicNow
I reckon that the increase in tuition fees must have caused a surge in applications last year, particularly from students who would otherwise have taken a gap year. Hence fewer applicants this cycle (indicated by the lower UKCAT cutoffs pretty much across the board). Hopefully all bodes well for our chances....

Yes. Nationally, the overall medicine applicants dropped by 3.8% compared to last year.
Original post by goldilocksa
I had a missed phone call from Helen at Durham at 3 o clock today calling me for interview, phoned back but got voicemail
Should I call again now or tomorrow or both? I don't want her to feel pestered!
Thanks
Oh my UKCAT was 687.5

Same as me! I hope its a sign of hope...I'm only waiting on Durham and St. Andrews now.

How do they notify for interview? Is it always a phone call, or do they send a letter in the post/email as well?
Original post by Med_Geek
Same as me! I hope its a sign of hope...I'm only waiting on Durham and St. Andrews now.

How do they notify for interview? Is it always a phone call, or do they send a letter in the post/email as well?

As far as I know it's always a phone call- the lady is really lovely :smile:
She said the rest of the interview information will be sent in the post
Where else have you applied to? Any happy news? :smile:
Good luck!
Original post by goldilocksa
As far as I know it's always a phone call- the lady is really lovely :smile:
She said the rest of the interview information will be sent in the post
Where else have you applied to? Any happy news? :smile:
Good luck!

ahh thank you :smile: I haven't had any such magical phone call yet :frown: I applied to Leicester and Kings, got rejected without interview from both. St Andrews and Durham are the only two I'm waiting to hear from. I got an offer for my back up choice of Medical Genetics at QMUL, so I'm quite pleased about that! :smile:

How about yourself? :biggrin:
ahh thank you :smile: I haven't had any such magical phone call yet :frown: I applied to Leicester and Kings, got rejected without interview from both. St Andrews and Durham are the only two I'm waiting to hear from. I got an offer for my back up choice of Medical Genetics at QMUL, so I'm quite pleased about that! :smile:

How about yourself? :biggrin:

I'm sure you'll get a magical phone call very soon :smile: and then an even more magical and wonderful interview
I got rejected without interview by Bristol, had interview (went awfully-I don't think I came across as particularly intelligent :s-smilie: ) at Nottingham and an offer from Southampton :colondollar:
Don't give up hope! Really sorry to hear about the rejections, so disheartening
Good luck
I had my interview at Durham this week (24th January) but I think it could have gone a lot better. Hoping they don't think the same and I get an offer (YN)

UKcat 652.5
(edited 12 years ago)
OMG Got an interview!!!!! SO HAPPY!!! :biggrin:
I'm really confused as to what style of teaching Durham used, some places are saying case led with PBL and some are saying that there is no PBL involved. Which one is correct?

Also, could someone please explain what case based learning is? lol thanks :smile:
Reply 169
I'm really confused as to what style of teaching Durham used, some places are saying case led with PBL and some are saying that there is no PBL involved. Which one is correct?

Also, could someone please explain what case based learning is? lol thanks :smile:

Hey, many congrats on getting an interview!

The curriculum is indeed case-led, with lectures, seminars, tutorials and practical sessions to support it. No PBL is involved as far as I know; it's only extensively used for the 4 year GEP at Newcastle.

Case based learning (CBL) is very similar to PBL, but the scenarios are a lot more clinical, the facilitator guides you a lot more, hence the aims of the topics are a lot more defined, and also there are usually more lectures to reinforce the topics. CBL = "guided enquiry", PBL = "open enquiry".

Good luck with your interview. :smile:
Original post by Panda89
Hey, many congrats on getting an interview!

The curriculum is indeed case-led, with lectures, seminars, tutorials and practical sessions to support it. No PBL is involved as far as I know; it's only extensively used for the 4 year GEP at Newcastle.

Case based learning (CBL) is very similar to PBL, but the scenarios are a lot more clinical, the facilitator guides you a lot more, hence the aims of the topics are a lot more defined, and also there are usually more lectures to reinforce the topics. CBL = "guided enquiry", PBL = "open enquiry".

Good luck with your interview. :smile:

Ahh ok I see :smile: Thank you so much! :biggrin:
I'm a little confused here, haven't heard anything from Durham until today when I got an email asking if I'm still interested in being interviewed....
Kinda worried that they might have tried to call me and left a voicemail on the wrong number or something, then wondered why i didn't respond or something :/
Original post by Alison1075
I'm a little confused here, haven't heard anything from Durham until today when I got an email asking if I'm still interested in being interviewed....
Kinda worried that they might have tried to call me and left a voicemail on the wrong number or something, then wondered why i didn't respond or something :/

Email and ring them to check. I imagine that this is something you want sorted out :wink:.
It's okay, I replied and got offered a choice of interview dates.
March 6th :biggrin:
Reply 174
It's okay, I replied and got offered a choice of interview dates.
March 6th :biggrin:

That's good, plenty of time to prepare and you won't have to wait too long to hear back (it's agonising!). I wonder when the last set of interviews are, might give us an idea of when to expect responses.
Original post by MusicNow
That's good, plenty of time to prepare and you won't have to wait too long to hear back (it's agonising!). I wonder when the last set of interviews are, might give us an idea of when to expect responses.

Ahh I didn't know they waited until all of the interviews are completed to respond...
When was yours? :smile:
Reply 176
Ahh I didn't know they waited until all of the interviews are completed to respond...
When was yours? :smile:

Yeah, but I suppose that it's fairer in a way. It's worse waiting to hear whether you will get an interview when you know there are offer holders already out there!

Couple of weeks ago now, 24th of Jan. I know one guy who was interviewed in November though, I don't know how he has avoided cracking up.
Does anyone have an interview this Tuesday on the 7th Feb? Getting very nervous now!
Hi,
I just wanted to know, is Durham multicultural?
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Hi,
I just wanted to know, is Durham multicultural?

When I visited the campus 2 weeks ago, it was quite multicultural - more than I expected at least. I saw many people from the Eastern Asian descent and it was quite amazing to see people of different ethnic background hanging out with each other. I would have no worries staying in DUQC :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending