The Student Room Group

Dropouts of 2005..

So Id like to hear from all of you who went to uni for the first time this year and dropped out.

How have you found it? How are you feeling now? For me, I always have fleeting moments of regret but know I made the right choice.

I still havent got my UCAS sorted for next year, its taking much longer than I would have hoped.

How have your family and friends treated you? I cant help feeling like a bit of a failure, I was the first of my family to go to university and everyone was really happy for me, lately it seems everyone is quite distant with me.

But its my life not theirs I guess.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I havent dropped out yet, Ive been contemplating it for the past 2 months... I dont want to call it 'dropping out' because its not. I gave it a shot and it wasnt right, gargh im sooo confused!
I have kind of. Well. Not at all, but i'm leaving at the end of the year. One of my conditions for LSE considering me is to stay here for the year. My UCAS application has been sent, but heard nothing yet.

Family and old friends have been supportive, but some of my new friends i haven't told yet, only the ones considering leaving too i have told.

It's really annoying staying here, i may be doing really well on the course, but i don't like it and i despise the uni and the majority of my flatmates.
Contemplate it seriously as least once a day and more on weekends when I go home. Detest the place with a passion but I tried being a grown up without a degree for a few years and decided uni is the lesser of two evils in my case. Only just though!
Reply 4
Im dropping out at the end of this term (this friday, thank god)...

Just because some drops out of university, doesnt mean they're a failure, but dont expect people to understand that, because alot of people dont. Just remember, its your life, do what you want to do, not what someone elses wants/tells you to do.
worried_mess
So Id like to hear from all of you who went to uni for the first time this year and dropped out.

How have you found it? How are you feeling now? For me, I always have fleeting moments of regret but know I made the right choice.

I still havent got my UCAS sorted for next year, its taking much longer than I would have hoped.

How have your family and friends treated you? I cant help feeling like a bit of a failure, I was the first of my family to go to university and everyone was really happy for me, lately it seems everyone is quite distant with me.

But its my life not theirs I guess.

I dropped out nearly 2 weeks ago.I liked the course but the uni was terrible amongst other reasons.

I'm really glad I did it as everything has come together so far.I'm sending off my UCAS on Monday for entry 2006, I'm planning on going travelling,I've got a temp job which might go permanent(if not I've hopefully got Natwest to fall back on)etc...my only down point is that none of my friends are here so I can't go out ever(and the shifts at my temp job are ridiculous...today I started at 9am,got out at 7.30pm)...but the money!

My mum and friends have been fine,I saw some of my other famiyl(aunties and uncles) the other day and they were like 'Oh look it's the drop out!'....but everyone's been cool.I'm mostly concerned about my mother's opinion but she just wants whatever makes me happy.

With regards to your family-everytime they are mean or whatever just point out that you ARE going back next year!
cherrychocolate
and the shifts at my temp job are ridiculous...today I started at 9am,got out at 7.30pm

That's ridiculous?! I had to do that every Saturday for over a year and a half working at Toys R Us...

I wish I worked in the town centre where they all have 4 hours shifts.
Sparkling_Jules
That's ridiculous?! I had to do that every Saturday for over a year and a half working at Toys R Us...

I wish I worked in the town centre where they all have 4 hours shifts.

Yeah,I work in the town centre and I wish I had 4 hour shifts!I thought 8 hours at my last job was bad.

It is a ridiculously long time to be expected to work for in my eyes...but then again,I suppose all I'd have been doing if I wasn't at work would be sitting in front of the TV instead of earning £££.
People should'nt drop out, really.
Reply 9
jaydoh

your logic and justification behind that statement is... ?
jaydoh

Surely its better to drop out than spend 3 years of your life studying for something you hate and then probably getting a rubbish grade at the end of it because you weren't interested?
I thought I really didn't like my degree and was thinking of dropping out but left it too late. Now I'm having lots of fun and have realised chemistry is not all that bad!
But if you really hate the subject/uni so much that it's making you really unhappy, it'd be silly to stay there....
Reply 11
erk
your logic and justification behind that statement is... ?

Well first of all you've taken someone's place at that university who might have been a far more appreciating and grateful student than you are for dropping out. That person now is possibly forced to go to a lower quality university just so you could 'do the whole university thing' for a few months until you got bored and decided you wanted to live with Mummy again.

Obviously a bit of an exaggerated situation, but I agree, if you get to university you should finish it. No one should go to university without being 100% convinced that they really want to be there.
Tarts_n_Vicars
Contemplate it seriously as least once a day and more on weekends when I go home. Detest the place with a passion but I tried being a grown up without a degree for a few years and decided uni is the lesser of two evils in my case. Only just though!

Can you not apply to other universities for your 2nd year if you hate it so much?
Reply 13
Thats absolute rubbish! I dont think anyone really goes to uni if they dont really want to be there. Its such a huge financial investment for one thing! I was desparate to go to uni, i planned it soo much and got great A-Level grades, they let loads of people in thru clearing with pretty poor grades onto my course, so i dont feel bad bout taking anyone elses place, I worked damn hard to get here. It isnt my fault the place is awful and the course has turned out to be rubbish! I dont just want to 'run home to mummy' again, im actually seriously worried about my health, ive cried everyday since i got here and i think im depressed. I just dont think its worth the money to stay here and be unhappy!
Iscariot
No one should go to university without being 100% convinced that they really want to be there.

I agree with this bit, but not the rest.

--------------

Joey12
Thats absolute rubbish! I dont think anyone really goes to uni if they dont really want to be there.

Youre wrong.
Reply 15
Ok, well they shouldn't be there then, fair enough...but i dont think that many of the people who dropped out this year, went to uni thinking 'hey i dont really want to go but ill just waste loads of money and go anyway and drop out', else why would they be reapplying for next year?
Reply 16
Iscariot
Well first of all you've taken someone's place at that university who might have been a far more appreciating and grateful student than you are for dropping out. That person now is possibly forced to go to a lower quality university just so you could 'do the whole university thing' for a few months until you got bored and decided you wanted to live with Mummy again.

Obviously a bit of an exaggerated situation, but I agree, if you get to university you should finish it. No one should go to university without being 100% convinced that they really want to be there.

I'm not thinking of dropping out, but I am considering switching courses so I suppose that fits in with your little theory as well.

In my opinion, you're talking a load of rubbish. This time last year, I was 100% convinced that I wanted to study Computer Science at Bath. I wanted it so badly, it was the only place I wanted to be and the only thing I wanted to study. However, you can never truly know what a course or university is like until you get there. I thought I'd love CS, but I hate it. Its not what I expected at all, and I realise now that I'd much rather study something else.

It strikes me that both people against dropping out are currently applying to university. Therefore, I guess you've not been to uni before and as such can't pass judgement on people who drop out because you have no experience of the situation (not that we should be judging these people anyway, but you get my point).
Because they were expected to go to uni either by family or friends, and chose a subject that sounded good, looked up the league tables and chose the best ones for their grades, without actually doing any real research into the uni's or courses themselves.
Reply 18
Hmm, again ur in the process of applying to uni arnt u? Well i dont know how u can know this? I researched my uni sooo much, long before any of my friends and visited them all a lot. I knew it was exactly what i wanted to do and where i wanted to go. In actual fact the people who seem to get on better are the ones who literally did no research and just went sumwhere that offered their course. So no amount of research will help you when u get here, it cant prepare u for the reality of the uni and the course.
Reply 19
I'm currently at London met, and I'm hating the whole experience.

I was considering dropping out and applying for 2006, but instead I'm staying for the year and applying for 2006. Mainly because I have a better chance of getting in somewhere else if I stay here for the year and get a good grade at the end of it. I'm sending off my UCAS app as soon as my reference arrives from my old colleges principle.

Latest

Trending

Trending