The Student Room Group

Paying Interest Only on Studen Loan

Hey guys, I just graduated and now I'm currently doing postrgrad so I dont really need to pay anything yet. An SLC statement recently came through and I just realised that in a year the interest on my loan goes up by £350 ish.

I was thinking of paying off the interests per month so that by the time I get a job I end up with the same starting balance? (Which is silly cuz I know that I have paid the interest that was supposed to be on top anyway) I know that this is kinda psychological, but in the back of my head surely there are some gains to be made? (I.e. taking into account if interest goes up even further in the future, And by the time i get a secured job when I can repay much faster, I have already wiped off even just that tiny small interest value hence further reducing overall cumulative interest)

I was gonna start putting up a spreadsheet and do scenarios but if someone with wisdom regarding finance can just give me a clever one liner. :s-smilie:
Why pay anything off at all on a loan that gets wiped off after 25 years?
You are quite rightly full of hope and anticipation for the future but if by some terrible future chance of fate you found yourself back under the payment threshold or on a low wage wouldn't you regret having paid off something that would be wiped off regardless?
Original post by hypocriticaljap

You are quite rightly full of hope and anticipation for the future but if by some terrible future chance of fate you found yourself back under the payment threshold or on a low wage wouldn't you regret having paid off something that would be wiped off regardless?

Actually for once Hypocriticaljap makes sense.
Reply 3

ilikeyourthinking. Too bad i think i need to delete my conscience.
What#s conscience got to do with it?
If you were intending to be that silly why did you even ask for advice?
let's see what price conscience when you desperately need a deposit for a house or you need to buy a car but you've unnecessarily given SFE a few grand!
LOL
Original post by Logan

Original post by Logan
ilikeyourthinking. Too bad i think i need to delete my conscience.

What's immoral or unethical about it? You have to make payments once your income rises above a certain threshold but below that threshold you don't. Why make extra payments into a system that was designed so people in your position wouldn't be out of pocket.
Reply 6
trudat bros. Now im happy to just forget about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending