Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

why is christianity the fastest growing religion in the world?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    25 million new adherents a year compared to islams 22.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_...owing_religion

bad news for athiests either way..........
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanrights)

Nobody knows what the fastest growing religion is. All I know is that Islam is the fastest growing religion in America (Hillary Clinton).
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth is this bad news or a loss for atheism? We've been a minority in terms of numbers and growth for most of recorded history, one more year makes little difference, and neither of these things are indicators of a belief's (or lack thereof) validity.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sucks to be Judaism, -70,447 conversions. :erm:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Looking at the number, they seem a bit odd, so I deduced new adherent seems to count babies after their christening (so Christianity as the largest religion by far is logically gaining more new adherents every years with those criteria).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    christianity is not spreading. islam is.

you've got churches being turned into strip clubs. or mosques for that matter. so it's slowly dying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    islam is definately the fastest growing religion, not christianity. Why? because of the logical nature of the religion. In today's secular society we are taught to value reason and hence Islam is the most appealing. There are no contradictions in the Quran, it even says so in the book itself:
    "Do they not carefully consider the Koran. If it had been from anyone other than God, they would have found in it many contradictions." Koran.

The scientific system of inquiry is emphasized time and again by the Koran. The linking of science and rationality with the verses of the Koran is not only legitimized but also encouraged by God in the Koran. The Koran tells the reader that if he/she does not know something or are unsure they should ask"those who are informed (Koran 25:59)." In the case of all the scientific and natural phenomena discussed in the Koran, the people having knowledge and information would most definitely be the scientists. Thus the Koran discourages unreasoned belief.

the Koran gives an accurate visual description of the Big Bang theory of the creation of the universe. In the 21st chapter, verse 30 (21:30), the Koran states:
    "Do not the rejecters see that the heavens and earth were a unit joined together then we split them apart (21:30)."
    This is exactly how the 'rejecter' scientists envision the creation of the universe, from one singularity, which then exploded, termed the 'big bang'. Thus the Koran told us about the "common origin" of everything in the universe much before scientists described it in the 20th century. How do we explain this information in the Koran if it is not what it claims to be, the words of an all-knowing ?
    Professor Alfred Kroner, chairman of the Department of Geology at the Institute of Geosciences, Johannes Gutenburg University, Mainz, Germany stated about this verse in the Koran:
    "Somebody who did not know something about nuclear physics 1400 years ago could not, I think, be in a position to find out from his own mind for instance that the earth and the heavens had the same origin, or many others of the questions that we have discussed here.(Rehaili 1995)"

Many converts are aetheists. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IspK...eature=related
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishes.are.cold)
    christianity is not spreading. islam is.

you've got churches being turned into strip clubs. or mosques for that matter. so it's slowly dying.

yeah, in europe. but in asia and china christianity is exploding.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    why do you give a crap? its not some playground game. if you want to follow a religion then do it in your own time and keep quiet about it, as should athiests.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would not want a world full of atheists, so it's not quite the bad news.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah, in europe. but in asia and china christianity is exploding.
    Struth, apparently.

---

Here follows a serious post, I would appreciate it if somebody would actually read it. It begins more objectively analysing, and then adds in other factors/assumptions and analyses the possiblities there.

In terms of a theological answer:

Monotheism and Non-thesistic religions grow faster than Polytheistic religions because:
    . The idea of a single creator and a single all-powerful entity caring for you is more comforting/appealing/likely than the thought of many flawed characters.
    . Non-thestic religions (e.g., buddhism) grow because there is a spiritual aspect to life and people want to grow in touch with it, even if they reject (passively or actively) the idea of a creator or God, people like fate, destiny and a world force.

The polytheistic religions mostly grow within their own cultures - more of a cultural religion that a true faith perhaps?

Thus the "seeking", (whether the self or the one perfect being,) religions grow faster than the others.

Islam / Christianity possibly grow faster than Judaism because Judaism is very much about ritual, Islam/Christian is more "flexible" in that it want disciples rather than adherents.

Christianity is growing faster than Islam, theologically speaking because:
    . The message that God removed all his Glory, gave up everything to have a human life, to demonstrate how powerful His love was, is (true or not) a very powerful message

Those are my theological reasonings.

I won't analyse basing on the assumption that multiple Gods exist, because of the theory *if they created the world they would be infinite and thus take up all of the "space" outside the universe.*. Plus of course the "convert" rate from polytheisms exceed the "convert" rate to them (exlcuding those brought up as adherents)

If we now assume there is a God, then things make more sense in that:
    . If there is one God, people genuinely searching are going to find one God rather than 4.
    . If there is a spiritual aspect to the world, in that there is a "force" it is possible to connect with, even if not all aspects are touched on, people genuinely exploring the spirituality of the world are going to find something.
    . If there is one God, the people who are ordained by a God for the purpose of bringing others to Him, are going to be able to do far more than a cultural spread.
    . And Christianity spreads faster than Islam because Christians believe they can not only experience God's presence and bring others to it (common to both), but
    . Christians have access, because of Jesus, to God's Spirit, whereas Moslems not believing this will probably not be filled with the Spirit, at least not to the extent they could if they directly asked for this.

-- Rob.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically, Muslims and Christians are just racing each other to grow..they do this by having lots of kids and forcing their religions upon other people...of course more people will convert to Christianity or Islam if that's all they ever hear about. How often do you see a Buddhist knocking on your door, telling you to 'join up?'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Serious)
    Basically, Muslims and Christians are just racing each other to grow..they do this by having lots of kids and forcing their religions upon other people...of course more people will convert to Christianity or Islam if that's all they ever hear about. How often do you see a Buddhist knocking on your door, telling you to 'join up?'
    You'll find that MOST Christian parents allow their children to grow up and explore their own beliefs about God etc., and will bring their kids up with a knowlege of the bible so that if they 'decide to continue believing' or go solo and then come back to God, they have some spiritual truths they can remember.

In contrast some Muslims will kill descendents who defect from the faith, and convert areas of africa and asia via violence rather than "evangelism".

Not saying their aren't radical christians, or freaky controlling parents, but compared to Islam they tend to give more freedom.

(This isn't "my religion is better than yours". It's a statement of unfortunate fact [about the controlling/conversion] that I lament deeply.)

And buddhists are brought up naturally "in contact" with the spiritual aspect of the world and thus don't 'defect', as they already have their proof. Consequently, their attitude is more one of self-searching and meditation, rather than having to enlighten the world.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well to be fair to either religions I never get people coming to my doorstep ^__^.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robstening)
    You'll find that MOST Christian parents allow their children to grow up and explore their own beliefs about God etc., and will bring their kids up with a knowlege of the bible so that if they 'decide to continue believing' or go solo and then come back to God, they have some spiritual truths they can remember.

In contrast some Muslims will kill descendents who defect from the faith, and convert areas of africa and asia via violence rather than "evangelism".

Not saying their aren't radical christians, or freaky controlling parents, but compared to Islam they tend to give more freedom.

(This isn't "my religion is better than yours". It's a statement of unfortunate fact [about the controlling/conversion] that I lament deeply.)

And buddhists are brought up naturally "in contact" with the spiritual aspect of the world and thus don't 'defect', as they already have their proof. Consequently, their attitude is more one of self-searching and meditation, rather than having to enlighten the world.
    Yeah, I'd probably agree with that
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Score.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    actually loads of people join islam and some christians and other people aswell actually convert to islam after they realise that every thing about islam makes abosolute sense.
    its a true fact....look it up
    the truth hurts...i know
    btw..thank for negative ratings...just show how right i am
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x[Aa$iyah]x)
    actually loads of people join islam and some christians and other people aswell actually convert to islam after they realise that every thing about islam makes abosolute sense.
    Except the bit about an omnipotent creator yeah? :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_to_be_the_fastest-growing_religion

Why is this bad news for atheists? I find this an odd conclusion to draw from the evidence you have presented.

You've have identified two mainstream religions "growing" at a remarkably similar rate - although it very much depends on how you measure "growth". It is plain to see that they both can't be right and yet they both enjoy similar levels of popularity.

You see, popularity is not a measure of veracity.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Islam has a very long way to go before catching up with Christianity. Realistically, it will take hundreds of years in terms of the number of practicing followers. This is based on math, statistics and trends (fact). I believe Islam is more bullish than any other religion in terms of forcing a religion on someone, Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism are not as forceful. I’m not a religious fanatic at all but I have been looking into this argument for some time. To answer your question... Christianity is one of the long standing religions of all time and probably will be until the end of time. Islam will never achieve a strong foothold in North America, South America, Europe and Australasia (contrary to what is preached in mosques) Christianity will not have a dominant foothold in Asia and Africa. This is how it is going to be. I just hope that we don’t use religion as a precursor to a third world war or global oppression.
Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.